ReCom.org
Reading Sharing Share your past, present, and future readings here.

What Are You Currently Reading?

lyzzy

#31 Old 25-02-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractrose
Quote:
Imho, Dan Brown is an overcommercialized, mass-market-paperback type.

A writer who gave a talk at my univ mentioned that the reason why people liked Dan Brown so much was because when you read Dan Brown's books, you feel as if you are "tapping into some deep source of wisdom", uncovering some mystery - even though half of his facts are not true.
To the writer who gave the talk: I'll reserve you the right to comment so after u came out with a 'mass-market-paperback' that stays on readers' lips even after several years.

If u can't, just keep your criticism to yourself and continue working on it. Or else it might be interpreted as jealousy.. Let others enjoy their source of wisdom.
Er, the writer made the New York Times Bestsellers List several times. And I don't think that this is not an uncommon opinion. I mean, it's okay to like quite trashy mass-market paperback novels (I'm very guilty of that too - Stephen King, anyone?) because they are a good way to spend time... and *confession* quite fun to read... but to stubbornly say that they are the best books ever .. is quite insulting to the other great authors out there...
It's like saying that Backstreet Boys (okay, I really like them...) sang the greatest music ever...
________
Ignis

Last edited by lyzzy; 08-02-2011 at 06:39 PM.
lyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
DecentMerson

#32 Old 25-02-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractrose
Quote:
Imho, Dan Brown is an overcommercialized, mass-market-paperback type.

A writer who gave a talk at my univ mentioned that the reason why people liked Dan Brown so much was because when you read Dan Brown's books, you feel as if you are "tapping into some deep source of wisdom", uncovering some mystery - even though half of his facts are not true.
To the writer who gave the talk: I'll reserve you the right to comment so after u came out with a 'mass-market-paperback' that stays on readers' lips even after several years.

If u can't, just keep your criticism to yourself and continue working on it. Or else it might be interpreted as jealousy.. Let others enjoy their source of wisdom.
Er, the writer made the New York Times Bestsellers List several times. And I don't think that this is not an uncommon opinion. I mean, it's okay to like quite trashy mass-market paperback novels (I'm very guilty of that too - Stephen King, anyone?) because they are a good way to spend time... and *confession* quite fun to read... but to stubbornly say that they are the best books ever .. is quite insulting to the other great authors out there...
It's like saying that Backstreet Boys (okay, I really like them...) sang the greatest music ever...
couldn't agree more...

his books are really good... (I read all four of them...) but, after reading 3 of them, i felt if u erase the characters and the artifacts and the different venue... u can see a pretty similar plot... but, for the hang of it, i read the 4th book too... (i read the Da Vinci Code, then Digital Fortress, then Angels and Demons, and then the Deception Point...) i think one shld read them as just another fiction... better ones...

why the hype?? i think it's really down to the explanation that "you feel as if you are "tapping into some deep source of wisdom", uncovering some mystery - even though half of his facts are not true".

the ambigrams in A&D are amazing though...
DecentMerson is offline   Reply With Quote
abstractrose
Less Junior Member

#33 Old 25-02-2006 Default

Maybe people have different definitions of success. Some think that staying on the best-selling list and whose books garnered so much readership that they have to be 'mass-produced'. And this make 'em 'trashy'?

While some other people would think that having their works admired and loved by literature critics/deep thinkers will render 'em successful. But this genre of 'success' normally means it's little understood by a regular layman.

So for Dan Brown, as a fiction writer writing for the public and not literature masters, I'd call him successful and say his books hit the spot right on.
abstractrose is offline   Reply With Quote
LilDeviant
Less Junior Member

#34 Old 27-02-2006 Default

hmmm how come no mention of good literary work?
LilDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Seiryu
Slightly Senior Member

#35 Old 02-03-2006 Default

I LOVE A&D because of the twist.. the plot was superb. and the ambrigrams were marvellous and BRILLIANT... FYI they were art works by John Langdon, an artist....

and now i MUST read da vinci code because robert langdon is back!

Dan Brown... he made me read.....
Seiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
pooh86
Less Junior Member

#36 Old 07-03-2006 Default Heaven Is Real

Im reading tis book title Heaven Is Real By Choo Nam ..

A korean-Christian who shares her experiences n precious moment v Jesus ... ALthu im not Christian , Is juz a nice 2 book 2 read ... I totally support everybody read it !!!
pooh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
GodRox
Super Junior Member

#37 Old 07-03-2006 Default

Hmm, I got it for my birthday last year.

I only manage to read the first few pages... n the book has been sitting in my shelf since...

Since u say it's good, guess I'll catch up n read.
GodRox is offline   Reply With Quote
pooh86
Less Junior Member

#38 Old 08-03-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodRox
Hmm, I got it for my birthday last year.

I only manage to read the first few pages... n the book has been sitting in my shelf since...

Since u say it's good, guess I'll catch up n read.
Really ? So r u a christian ???
In my opinion .. I tink is good .... I duno abt U ... Mayb u will feel bored after reading a few pages , if u dun hv curiousity wats happening nxt in de book ....... Hope u njoy readin It ....
Salvation

#39 Old 09-03-2006 Default

Quote:
Im reading tis book title Heaven Is Real By Choo Nam ..

A korean-Christian who shares her experiences n precious moment v Jesus ... ALthu im not Christian , Is juz a nice 2 book 2 read ... I totally support everybody read it !!! Razz
Wanted to buy this book, but some people says that this book preaches false christianity and that the book ultimately glorifies the auther instead of god 8O ...so i stayed away from it. very confusing
Salvation is offline   Reply With Quote
pooh86
Less Junior Member

#40 Old 09-03-2006 Default

Hmm .. Dun worry , as long ur mind is pure .. U wun effect by de others k ? juz treat it as a normal reading ....