ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > SPM & STPM

SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

Foreign University Application for STPM students

bush
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#11 Old 13-10-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_chris
hey, do anyone have any good recommandation for a to-be STPM leaver this year?? I mean, which country actually accepts STPM other than singapore (preferably with good scholarships)??
I am currently taking STPM in less than 40 days and really worried about where to go and what to do after this, I really dun want to miss any good chance that is still out there......

And as for my juniors, please make up ur mind if u r going to go for US, dun wait too long, coz I did that, and now, I have missed the chance d.
All countries. You don't need to worry about recognition.If you are looking for scholarships or grants from universities. Then US is youe primary target.

Check HKUST.
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
aikws
Less Junior Member

#12 Old 13-10-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_chris
hey, do anyone have any good recommandation for a to-be STPM leaver this year?? I mean, which country actually accepts STPM other than singapore (preferably with good scholarships)??
I am currently taking STPM in less than 40 days and really worried about where to go and what to do after this, I really dun want to miss any good chance that is still out there......

And as for my juniors, please make up ur mind if u r going to go for US, dun wait too long, coz I did that, and now, I have missed the chance d.

STPM is a qualification recognised by most of the countries, you name it. Some US uni do offer good financial aid especially top Ivy Leagues, MIT and some Liberal Arts Colleges but it seems that it is a bit hard for you now as you have not taken the SATs.

Cambridge University does offer some scholarship either partial or full if you are lucky. But the deadline to be interviewed in Malaysia for next year's admissions is due. You can still try other UK uni. I am not very sure about Canada and Australia. However, do not give up and keep searching. Singapore is not bad actually. I was in NUS for a month and it offers a lot of opportunities.
aikws is offline   Reply With Quote
lyzzy

#13 Old 13-10-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
2.As a non-resident in new york, i will have to pay around 2K in us dollars in order to support my education fees and living expenses. My sister said that she is going to bear part of it, but the problem is how am i going to find the other part? My sister also said that it's very easy to find job for a student like me at new york in order make end meet. But i wonder is it true that a student at there is able to earn that much to support his/her own living expenses? Especially when i am a foreign student.
hey daniel, to give you a rough estimate about your earnings.. i get paid $10 per hour to work in a research lab. the minimum wage is about $6? - i'm not sure about this. so let's say, you earn the minimum wage, you work 10 hours a week (quite reasonable) and you work for 50 weeks in a year:
$6 x 10 x 50weeks = $3000 a year
on top of this, you could get a full time job during summer too...
________
vaporizer store

Last edited by lyzzy; 08-02-2011 at 06:53 PM.
lyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Daniel

#14 Old 13-10-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzy
Quote:
2.As a non-resident in new york, i will have to pay around 2K in us dollars in order to support my education fees and living expenses. My sister said that she is going to bear part of it, but the problem is how am i going to find the other part? My sister also said that it's very easy to find job for a student like me at new york in order make end meet. But i wonder is it true that a student at there is able to earn that much to support his/her own living expenses? Especially when i am a foreign student.
hey daniel, to give you a rough estimate about your earnings.. i get paid $10 per hour to work in a research lab. the minimum wage is about $6? - i'm not sure about this. so let's say, you earn the minimum wage, you work 10 hours a week (quite reasonable) and you work for 50 weeks in a year:
But then i thought a student is not supposed to find work while studying.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
aikws
Less Junior Member

#15 Old 13-10-2006 Default

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is no hard and fast rule whether you should work. It all depends on you. If you want something, you can do it. I think for your case, it really depends on whether you want to live in Malaysia or you want a new life in America. May be you should ask yourself what you really want.
strikingstar

#16 Old 13-10-2006 Default

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
With an F-1 visa - 20hrs a week during the schoolterm, 40hrs a week during summer break.
strikingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
sunshine88
Slightly Senior Member

#17 Old 13-10-2006 Default

aikwss..have u taken the BMAT?did u manage...section 3.?is it true that there are questions related to physics?
sunshine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Smilehoe

#18 Old 13-10-2006 Default

From the previous posts, I think that financial won't be a major problem if you are willing to do part time job. But I do suggest that you confirm with your Uni whether a change of course is possible, you can call or email the Uni or ask seniors from the it's alumni.

IF, changing course is not guaranteed, you risk leaving up your opportunity in our local Uni for a course you don't favour. And, do some research on the engineering courses they provide and see if there is any relevance to the specification you prefers. Besides, studying oversea in a new environment would be tough and requires adaptation, if you would end up in a course you dislike, there wouldn't be much motivation for you to keep studying.

However, I do hope that you manage to get there. Personally, I wouldn't let this chance to slip away without trying out every possible way.

Good Luck
Smilehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
meselsohnstahl

#19 Old 13-10-2006 Default

i dont think he took bmat. he actually got into cambridge for natsci(poor natscis, he has classes tomorrow!!!), and the unis he applied to for medicine didnt require bmat.. (correct me if im wrong)

i took bmat tho(if anyone cares)..

what was section 3? was it the essay one?

i THINK the essay one was scientific/just use ur basic knowledge/commmon sense/etc..cant remember what topic i wrote on!! seems such a long long time ago.. but i dont remember having to come up with any formula or something crazy like that...

if it was the scientific section, yes it had physics Qs.. but nothing more than spm level physics. tho it helps if u did physics in as/a level cause ud still remember the concepts. but if u didnt, just do some short revision of ur spm stuff.. should be more than enough!!!

good luck!!!
meselsohnstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
aikws
Less Junior Member

#20 Old 14-10-2006 Default

Yeap, I am studying natural science in Cambridge. Well, messelsonstahl should advise on BMAT.