ReCom.org
Reading Sharing Share your past, present, and future readings here.

Must-Read Books!!!

wesleyanne
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 06-03-2004 Default Must-Read Books!!!

Hmm.....since no one has started posting yet, I'll be the first
I must say that reading is THE best hobby ANYONE can adopt!!! Even though most of us probably don't really have much time to sit down and read novels/book etc, its truly amazing how much you can learn by reading! Anyway, few books have really had an impact on me and I'd like to start posting about the books I truly love so if any of you have the time, go read them!!!

The House of The Spirits by Isabel Allende. Truly one of the better books around. One of the very few books that once I started reading, I really could not put it down, but thank goodness it was christmas hols when I started to read it! Very powerful and compelling and you learn quite a bit about the Chilean government and politics. Its also a perfect blend of seriousness and imagination, esp with Clara's narration of the story!!! Oh yeah, and its also one of those books where I actually HAD to refer to the dictionary for some words ;) Its translated from Spanish and I heard the original Spanish version is way more enticing~

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Very detailed description about the Japanese culture and the Geisha world, although some critics have said that it is not as accurate as it should be. Read it years ago, lost the book, and I loved it so much I actually bought it again.

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I'm absolutely fascinated with the Indian culture, hence I keep purchasing books that describe the Indian culture well. However, the more I read about India, the more I wonder if India really is as they portray it to be, hence compelling me to make India as my next place to visit. Anyway, A Fine Balance is seriously depressing! but enlightening nonetheless. Other books to read regarding this colorful culture would be Arranged Marriage by Chitra Divakaruni and the City of Joy by Dominique Lapierre (which I bought immediately after watching the movie, which literally made me cry)! Haven't completed reading them yet, but I'm making it a point to do so during this spring break!

Thats it for now~ The 3 books Ive read that I truly truly love and have learnt so much from!

Oh yeah, I also have A Beautiful Mind (also bought after watching the movie which truly inspired me) by Sylvia Nassar, La Prisonniere by Malika Oufkir and the God of Small Things by Arundati Roy. Havent finished reading them yet though~ haha, but if anyone has read them, which one would you recommend reading first?
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 06-03-2004 Default Must Read Books!!!

Hmm.....since no one has started posting yet, I'll be the first
I must say that reading is THE best hobby ANYONE can adopt!!! Even though most of us probably don't really have much time to sit down and read novels/book etc, its truly amazing how much you can learn by reading! Anyway, few books have really had an impact on me and I'd like to start posting about the books I truly love so if any of you have the time, go read them!!!

The House of The Spirits by Isabel Allende. Truly one of the better books around. One of the very few books that once I started reading, I really could not put it down, but thank goodness it was christmas hols when I started to read it! Very powerful and compelling and you learn quite a bit about the Chilean government and politics. Its also a perfect blend of seriousness and imagination, esp with Clara's narration of the story!!! Oh yeah, and its also one of those books where I actually HAD to refer to the dictionary for some words ;) Its translated from Spanish and I heard the original Spanish version is way more enticing~

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Very detailed description about the Japanese culture and the Geisha world, although some critics have said that it is not as accurate as it should be. Read it years ago, lost the book, and I loved it so much I actually bought it again.

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I'm absolutely fascinated with the Indian culture, hence I keep purchasing books that describe the Indian culture well. However, the more I read about India, the more I wonder if India really is as they portray it to be, hence compelling me to make India as my next place to visit. Anyway, A Fine Balance is seriously depressing! but enlightening nonetheless. Other books to read regarding this colorful culture would be Arranged Marriage by Chitra Divakaruni and the City of Joy by Dominique Lapierre (which I bought immediately after watching the movie, which literally made me cry)! Haven't completed reading them yet, but I'm making it a point to do so during this spring break!

Thats it for now~ The 3 books Ive read that I truly truly love and have learnt so much from!

Oh yeah, I also have A Beautiful Mind (also bought after watching the movie which truly inspired me) by Sylvia Nassar, La Prisonniere by Malika Oufkir and the God of Small Things by Arundati Roy. Havent finished reading them yet though~ haha, but if anyone has read them, which one would you recommend reading first?

#3 Old 06-03-2004 Default books

I agree it?s very healthy when we read books... it has huge impact on our society as well...

everytime we read one book.. I bet u will observe that our thinking change a little..
as we read more books our mind changes more
and the thinking scope gets widen as well..

as wise people say...
Books are the food for the mind
feed the mind often and we will grow healthy....
we have to read a great variety of books and it?s great if we discuss and s?hare what we know with others....

some books are really motivating and some.. inspiring...
Try read some very interestingly written books and write ?what u have read in ur school essay and u will see a great effect of readers.....

other than books we can read nice articles available in various source..

that?s for now.. thanx for sharing
see u again.
sorry for not being able to log in here often
take care
iQing

#4 Old 06-03-2004 Default books

I agree it?s very healthy when we read books... it has huge impact on our society as well...

everytime we read one book.. I bet u will observe that our thinking change a little..
as we read more books our mind changes more
and the thinking scope gets widen as well..

as wise people say...
Books are the food for the mind
feed the mind often and we will grow healthy....
we have to read a great variety of books and it?s great if we discuss and s?hare what we know with others....

some books are really motivating and some.. inspiring...
Try read some very interestingly written books and write ?what u have read in ur school essay and u will see a great effect of readers.....

other than books we can read nice articles available in various source..

that?s for now.. thanx for sharing
see u again.
sorry for not being able to log in here often
take care
trishotiwuth
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 08-03-2004 Default ...

i'm reading the Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells right now. Sharing some similar themes with the famous The Joy Luck CLub (Amy Tan), this novel gives wonderful illustrations of life in Lousiana in the 50s. It's a girly girly book but I love it! The Ya-yas demonstrate how strong a bond between girlfriends can be. This book is a celebration of Girl Power. You just gotta read it.
trishotiwuth is offline   Reply With Quote
trishotiwuth
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 08-03-2004 Default ...

i'm reading the Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells right now. Sharing some similar themes with the famous The Joy Luck CLub (Amy Tan), this novel gives wonderful illustrations of life in Lousiana in the 50s. It's a girly girly book but I love it! The Ya-yas demonstrate how strong a bond between girlfriends can be. This book is a celebration of Girl Power. You just gotta read it.
trishotiwuth is offline   Reply With Quote
lilet
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 18-03-2004 Default

Hi there! I am an avid reader too, but unfortunately, the only books that I would willingly pick up are only classified under the fiction section!

My latest reading project is on the fifth and latest installment of the Earth's Children Series, by the author Jean M. Auel. Anyone heard of it or read it before? Let's see.. the first book is The Clan of the Cave Bear, 2nd - The Valley of Horses, 3rd - The Mammoth Hunters, 4th - The Plains of Passage and finally the fifth book that I am still halfway through is The Shelters of Stone. So, what are these average of 1 1/2 inches books mainly about? If you guessed prehistoric type of adventure and fantasy, then you are correct!

The setting of this magnificent saga is in the old stone age settlement in the region known today as south-west France. Mainly based on the life and journey of a woman named Ayla, this masterpiece boasts of tons of extensive research done on the prehistoric subject... Very, very detailed indeed... Almost to the point of enabling you to picture yourself in the story's landscape. There are also many great vocabs and amazing ideas in all five books. This reminds me - the Earth's Children saga is designed to be a 7 book one, if I remember correctly.

Anyone interested in learning more about the origins of the homo sapiens and the passing of the homo neanderthal is strongly recommended to pick up the first installment of this series, The Clan of Cave Bear, so as not to get confused by the storyline. Yeah, it will be very time consuming to finish all five but they are definitely worth the effort and time!
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 18-03-2004 Default

Hi there! I am an avid reader too, but unfortunately, the only books that I would willingly pick up are only classified under the fiction section!

My latest reading project is on the fifth and latest installment of the Earth's Children Series, by the author Jean M. Auel. Anyone heard of it or read it before? Let's see.. the first book is The Clan of the Cave Bear, 2nd - The Valley of Horses, 3rd - The Mammoth Hunters, 4th - The Plains of Passage and finally the fifth book that I am still halfway through is The Shelters of Stone. So, what are these average of 1 1/2 inches books mainly about? If you guessed prehistoric type of adventure and fantasy, then you are correct!

The setting of this magnificent saga is in the old stone age settlement in the region known today as south-west France. Mainly based on the life and journey of a woman named Ayla, this masterpiece boasts of tons of extensive research done on the prehistoric subject... Very, very detailed indeed... Almost to the point of enabling you to picture yourself in the story's landscape. There are also many great vocabs and amazing ideas in all five books. This reminds me - the Earth's Children saga is designed to be a 7 book one, if I remember correctly.

Anyone interested in learning more about the origins of the homo sapiens and the passing of the homo neanderthal is strongly recommended to pick up the first installment of this series, The Clan of Cave Bear, so as not to get confused by the storyline. Yeah, it will be very time consuming to finish all five but they are definitely worth the effort and time!
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 18-03-2004 Default

cool any type of reading is beneficial ;)

I finished yet another book during spring break. Arranged Marriage by Chitra Divakaruni. A collection of short stories regarding arranged marriages, some have open endings, some infer you to a conclusion, some are straightforwardly depressing. Kinda gets me thinking about the whole concept of arranged marriages, which is why I bought this book in the first place ;) oh well...but overall, its pretty educating, viewing arranged marriages from women of different backgrounds, social status etc, and how they deal with it.
Less Junior Member

#10 Old 18-03-2004 Default

cool any type of reading is beneficial ;)

I finished yet another book during spring break. Arranged Marriage by Chitra Divakaruni. A collection of short stories regarding arranged marriages, some have open endings, some infer you to a conclusion, some are straightforwardly depressing. Kinda gets me thinking about the whole concept of arranged marriages, which is why I bought this book in the first place ;) oh well...but overall, its pretty educating, viewing arranged marriages from women of different backgrounds, social status etc, and how they deal with it.