ReCom.org
Reading Sharing Share your past, present, and future readings here.

Must-Read Books!!!

iQing

#11 Old 22-03-2004 Default yo

I wouldl like to recommend a very interesting book:

Watching the Trees by Adeline Yen Mah...
it talks a lot about he life and chinese culture
and I guarantee that u will learn a lot from it...
worth reading.. 5 stars rating
iQing

#12 Old 22-03-2004 Default yo

Ic3b3rg

#13 Old 31-03-2004 Default Les Miserables

Les Miserables by VIctor Hugo
Lovely book....it IS heavy reading.... both metaphorically and physically....
but it weaves the complex thread of human life into a very beautiful fabric....
the way the author create coincidences in the lives of the main characters is so subtle that it is poetry in motion!!
the thing i like most about this book is that
1. it examines what the society believes as morally right..... and what our integrity tells us as morally right....it challenges us to take the norms of society and test it against our own principles....

2. it portrays the transformation of the main character...JEan Valjean from a convicted theft.... with no conscience..... one who acts with animal instincts..... a hardened criminal....
into a person whose faith in truth and justice is so strong that he willingly surrenders himself for a minor crime he committed decades ago in order to protect the life of an old man.... bear in mind that Jean by that time has become a successful businessman who is the lifeline of the entire town..... his business helped improve the town and feed hundreds of poor workers..... whereas the old man is just a drunkard....

3. it portrays the effects of poverty and the prejudice of society upon humans..... how poverty can transform the morality of a man... and how only strong integrity can protect a man from degrading himself.......Jean became a convict because he stole a loaf of bread... the society has a prejudice against the poor....so the court sentenced him to 5 years in jail!!.... later.... the prisoners taught him to escape.... after several attempts... Jean's sentence was prolonged to 19 years.... and he became a hardened criminal...

4. unlike the authors of that era.... the author of this book laced the story with a sense of hope..... despite portraying the dark side of society... he did not, like his peers give a sense of irony and bitterness in the story.... instead the ending was so full of hope that each of us can have the strength to turn over a new leaf and build a strong personality to function as persons of integrity

* i read this book last year so if i have posted any wrong details of the book, pls correct me.... *

#14 Old 01-04-2004 Default

Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
1: Be Proactive
2: Begin with the End in Mind
3: Put First Things First
4: Think Win/Win
5: Seek First to Understand, then to be Understood
6: Synergize
7: Sharpen the Saw

I guess most of u would have already read this book or heard of it..... actually i just want to say that if you have not read it...give it a try...
unlike most motivational talks.... Covey does not sound like he is trying to give us some counselling... in fact he does not sound like a counsellor at alll...
his choice of language is everyday language ....with day to day examples...... easy to understand....
most of all he does not set rigid rules for self improvement....just seven steps which are easy to follow if you read the first chapter ......its all about sticking to your principles and INTEGRITY.....

#15 Old 02-04-2004 Default eBooks

here?s a very gpood website where u can download free books :

http://www.free-ebooks.net/
poen
Super Junior Member

#16 Old 19-04-2004 Default

Hi guys.. I am new here.. I must say my taste for books vary over periods of time..

I just finished reading Irshad Manji's "The Trouble with Islam"... Pretty controversial (since I am a Muslim), but it is a good discussion (although more oftenly sounding like a rant!) for those interested in Islam and issues related to it...

Oh, yeah.. ABout that Covey book.. Just bought it, haven't started reading... But i assure you it is awesome..

Hope to hear more updates... Especially from ppl with suggestion on a "must-read" list..

Me? I typically enjoy non-fiction.. Politics, economics or anything that would make me feel somebody else than a mechanical engineering hopeful..

laters...
poen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ic3b3rg

#17 Old 22-04-2004 Default

Waiting to Exhale - Terry McMillan,1992

This book is not really your usual intellectual fare. In fact, the four women's mindless chatter, foul language, casual sex, pills and cigarettes may turn you off. But this book arrested my attention because of its honest portrayal of black women's life. The problems they face: divorce, love, teenage pregnancy etc were blended into their day-to-day life. There is an undercurrent of change reflected in their lives: they become independent, modern women who are proud of their black heritage. Read this book to get a better glimpse of a life different from yours.

#18 Old 22-04-2004 Default

When The Bough Breaks-- Jonathan Kellerman

Usual thriller fare. But rather addictive, because the plot and sub-plots are so intricate that your mind will be on the alert as the hero tries to piece together the puzzles behind two mysterious murders.... haha!
Less Junior Member

#19 Old 03-05-2004 Default

I must say that reading is THE best hobby ANYONE can adopt!!!

I truly agree! I love books too! Now that i'm so free, besides surfing, I can spend as much time as i like to read(which is impossible before cuz, u know, had to mug for SPM)

Ok, this is a very very very good book that I'm gonna introduce to u all :

A Thousand Pieces Of Gold by Adeline Yen Mah

Here is the sinopsis at the back of the book:

Proverbs are fascinating in any country but in China they still play and have always played a far more significant role.

Most Chinese proverbs are based on historical events and the greatest number originate from that extraordinary period of history when the First Emperor of China - creator of the terracotta soldiers - ruled.

Basically, this book is all about China's history from the time the First Emperor(Qing Shi Huang Di) ruled until Liu Bang won the Chu-Han war. And a little about the author's personal life and modern Chinese history where Deng Xiao Ping and Mao ZeDong come into the picture.

It's really a GREAT book! U all should read it, especially Chinese who are not familiar with Chinese history. Funny why our History text book does not include detailed chinese history whereas Chinese make up of the 2nd largest race in M'sia. This book made me appreaciate our chinese culture and history more.

A Thousand Pieces Of Gold can be found in MPH bookstores. They have plenty of storage at MPH Jaya Jusco, Ipoh.
Moozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Moozy
Less Junior Member

#20 Old 03-05-2004 Default Re: yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQing

Yeah, it's a great book. Talks mostly about IQing, which Adeline's YeYe(grandfather) liked so much and Chinese Feng Shui. I'm an avid Adeline Yen Mah fan. Have u tried 'Falling Leaves' and 'A Thousand Pieces of Gold' ? They're superb!
Moozy is offline   Reply With Quote