ReCom.org
Reading Sharing Share your past, present, and future readings here.

Must-Read Books!!!

littlebigone Male
Slightly Senior Member

#71 Old 03-05-2005 Default

Currently reading "A Scanner Darkly" by Philip K. Dick.

It's about an undercover narcotics agent, Fred. The agent is addicted to Substance D, a drug which causes him to have split personalities. Things take a turn for the worst when his superior assigns him to investigate Bob Arctor who happens to be Fred's street character.

It's a pretty interesting book. At first I thought it would focus on Fred trying to catch himself. But after reading halfway, it doesn't treat the split personality as trivially. The book actually traces the slow process of Fred/Bob developing his split personality.

For those who are interested, Philip Dick also wrote "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". The movie Blade Runner was based on this story.

The movie "Minority Report" was also based on his book by the same title.

Other interesting books that he has written include "Total Recall" and "Paycheck".

~John Lennon
littlebigone is offline   Reply With Quote
bp_ffei

#72 Old 03-05-2005 Default

Read the "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon!

It's basically about an autistic 15 year-old called Christopher who knows all the countries in the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests yellow and brown. One day the neighbour's dog is killed and he sets out to solve the murder.

Really interesting book... It's like a modern-day "Catcher in the Rye"...
Super Junior Member

#73 Old 11-05-2005 Default

Milan Kundera's "Unbearable Lightness of Being".

This is a work of genius. The book itself does not require several re-readings, but one is compelled to re-read it because of the way it is written. In a dream-like, the seeming plotless story of the characters is laced with intermitten musings of the author. Semi-philosophical, semi-literary, it is a book that cannot be summed up easily.

Jose Saramago's "Blindness"

One exeptional thing I extremely like about the book is its cover. The cover is a genius. You never really see the title until you see it. Similarly, the cover itself alludes to the story, of how an epidemic of white blindness begins to spread all over the world and how one woman who still can see leads a band of blind men and women to survive as they are quarantined... and as civilisation degenerates. This novel won Jose Saramago a Nobel prize in Literature.

Patrick Suskind's "Perfume"

haven't read this one yet, but getting a lot of good vibes from people who know. Its has a fairly linear storyline about a child in 17/18th century Paris whose olfactory sense is extremely acute while emits no personal odour of his own. I have managed to sample only a few pages but it is shaping out to have some unforgettable quality in it.

J. D. Salinger's "Catcher In The Rye"

Quite well known as a coming-of-age, it chronicles the 16(17?) year old protoganist, Holden Cauldfield (gotta love that name) as he drops out of school, and thinks to himself about how false and fake the world is. The novels describes the inner turmoil of a troubled teenage soul unerringly. "They're all phonies," he says. "They kill me." Despite the cigarrettes and booze, Holden still has a few redeeming qualities of his own. He loves his sister, and longs to be a catcher in the rye, catching children from falling off the ledge of the complicated world of teenagers and adults.
rockjianrock is offline   Reply With Quote
xiaohu
Super Junior Member

#74 Old 22-06-2005 Default

Really recommend The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffeneggar. Just one of those rare books that starts off with a brilliant idea and actually fulfils its promise. Its about Clare and Henry who are destined for each other. The one, very original glitch: Henry's a time traveller, and he keeps on travelling to and fro in time, meeting Clare at different ages in her life.

Also I'm sure most have heard of Wild Swans by Jung Chang. First read it when i was really young, must have been about 10. It just gripped me from line 1 and didn't let go until waaaay after I'd closed the cover. Anyone attempted her new book on Mao?
xiaohu is offline   Reply With Quote
balderdash

#75 Old 22-06-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_ffei
Read the "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon!

It's basically about an autistic 15 year-old called Christopher who knows all the countries in the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests yellow and brown. One day the neighbour's dog is killed and he sets out to solve the murder.

Really interesting book... It's like a modern-day "Catcher in the Rye"...
I love love love this book! Picked it up cos it had a funky book cover and it was "unput-down-able" (as my 19th C brit lit lecturer would say) - I've probably read it as many times as I've read The Bell Jar .... another one of my faves.
balderdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Syafira_Dan
Super Junior Member

#76 Old 25-06-2005 Default Books I love

All JK Rowling's books,Goosebumps,Meg Cabon,Jean Ure,Road Dahl I love!!!
UndercoverKitty

#77 Old 23-07-2005 Default

the Bell Jar was said to be plath's autobiography, though she nvr said it is. Coz when you read it, somehow it'll remind you of things that happen to her and so on. Quite interesting, but a bit sad, i must say. i had to read some of Plath's works during my foundation year, and they nvr fail to confuse me. But i think she's interesting. The Bell Jar is a good read, esp if you want to undrstand her better.

"Bear this pain we will until united finally we become." - KJPoyer, 2008.
budakkerek is offline   Reply With Quote
budakkerek Female
UndercoverKitty

#78 Old 23-07-2005 Default

i hv read so many books, but i nvr nvr nvr rmmbr the title or who writes what. But if someone mentions it, and tells me what the book is about, i usually will rmmbr whether i've read it or not.

Anyway, i found a continuation of Les Miserables, titled "cossette" and currently am reading it. Hvnt finished it yet *sigh* it's not written by Hugo, but the books concentrates on the daughter (thus, the title).

forgot who wrote it though hehe

will let u know when i finish it, what it's about.so far, the style is almost the same, and it's rpetty interesting to read of what happen to Cosette and her husband after jean paul's death.

"Bear this pain we will until united finally we become." - KJPoyer, 2008.
budakkerek is offline   Reply With Quote
gal_flower

#79 Old 23-07-2005 Default

The Importance of Being Earnest is really good, especially that I got a chance to watch a marvellous staging of it after I read it. It made the book more real and more alive.
Books that I have to read for Social Sciences here in U of Chicago:
1) Adam Smith - The Wealth of Nations
2) Karl Marx - Marx-Engels Reader
3) Max Weber - The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism
4) Barbara Erenreich - Nickel and Dimed
----------
1) Clifford Geertz - The Interpretation of Cultures
2) Emile Durkheim - The Elementary Form of Religions
3) Victor Turner - Forest of Symbols
4) Linenthal - Oklahoma: The Unfinished Bombing
5) Levi-Strauss - Myth and Meaning
----------
1) Sigmund Freud - Introductory Lectures to Psychoanalysis
etc etc.

I need normal books! Though Geertz's book is not that bad...
DO read:
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
The Dirty Girls Social Club
The Case for Faith (for Christians or interested ppl)
Chronicles of Narnia

http://mademoiselleshopaholic.blogspot.com
gal_flower is offline   Reply With Quote
boafan
Super Junior Member

#80 Old 02-09-2005 Default

well..must read books for me are

*charmed
*lord of the rings..(sum may find it too long...but i skip the songs and stuff..)
*harry potter
*witchcraft books...
boafan is offline   Reply With Quote