ReCom.org
Reading Sharing Share your past, present, and future readings here.

Must-Read Books!!!

rice
Super Junior Member

#81 Old 20-10-2005 Default Stephen King

I must say, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is not as popular as his other novels.But, I really think that anyone who wants to experience a rather disturbing kind of horror/adventure/fantasy fiction should give this a try.
Anne Rice may not be the best vampire fiction author but her books have its own unique style,very emotional and gripping.
Hope you guys try reading their books and post comments here
rice is offline   Reply With Quote
DecentMerson

#82 Old 20-10-2005 Default

Freakonomics by Stephen Levitt...

it's a pretty easy read... and it is rather interesting to read about reasonable "conventional" wisdom can be wrong...

Blink:The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

another wonderful book... a study on "instinct" and "feeling"... and a study on how trying too hard to put thoughts into words can actually 'destroy' the image... how ur "instinct" is not really "instinct" but experience that is so deep that even oneself can't notice it... and many other insightful studies on "thinking" without actually thinking.
DecentMerson is offline   Reply With Quote
topdog

#83 Old 20-10-2005 Default

haha...you been going to borders a lot?
topdog is offline   Reply With Quote
DecentMerson

#84 Old 21-10-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog
haha...you been going to borders a lot?
neh... just that i found out about holding book service provided by the library recently... so, i just browse for books i want online, and just ask them to hold the book for me...

really convenient...
adrianus
Super Junior Member

#85 Old 29-10-2005 Default another great book

I read this great novel:

Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaardner.

The book is about a little girl named Sophie, who received a letter from a mysterious guy. The letter contained philosophical question. later, sophie received many more letters containing that taught him the history of Western thinking. Curious, sophie began to search for the guy, and learning philosophy along her adventure.

This novel gave me a main idea of western philosophy. It's by far greater than reading thick philosophy books, and far less boring!

Learn philosophy. Descartes said, "Cogito Ergo Sum" -means "I think, therefore I am." If you don't understand the english version, may be a Malay translation will work. "Aku berpikir, maka aku ada."

Happy reading...

Regards,

Adri
adrianus is offline   Reply With Quote
bibo
Super Junior Member

#86 Old 18-12-2005 Default

Mario puzo a writer i advice everyone who is infatuated by the world of mafia , to get his books especially the last don , the sicilian and omerta really a nice read and opens your mind to stuff u never knew before. There is also john grisham i recommend king of torts and pelican brief.
bibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Maxforce

#87 Old 18-12-2005 Default

Puzo fan? Alrightlar bibo! I myself is also one die hard fan. Got all of his books! One great collection! Not only mafia stories but also some about life itself! Truly a great read.
Maxforce is offline   Reply With Quote
taufiq Male
The Extra Lazy Anchor

#88 Old 19-12-2005 Default

Has anyone read Sheldon's The Other Side of Me?
Any RECOMmendation?
taufiq is offline   Reply With Quote
DecentMerson

#89 Old 20-12-2005 Default

another book by Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point, how little things can make a big difference...(really similar writing style and line of thoughts as his newer book, Blink)

A study on how little things (which isn't noticeable to most ppl most of the times) are actually the reason behind remarkable changes... for instance, why certain trend makes the cut as cool... and how certain books are top sellers, but similar ones aren't... how certain tv programs are better than their counterparts...
jacyn
Super Junior Member

#90 Old 07-01-2006 Default

chinese cinderella!! by Adeline Yen-mah
jacyn is offline   Reply With Quote