ReCom.org
Hardware and Software Issues Any issues related to hardware and software should be discussed here

of laptops and handphones

b_ronick
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 06-03-2004 Default of laptops and handphones

hey..

just wanna get some information about notebooks and the handphones in the US...

just a few questions>>>

do we need to get a notebook to bring to the US?
is it advisable to get a notebook here or a notebook over in the US? if i get it here, would it be obsolete by the time i bring it over there?

is handphone necessary to get in the united states? do the students there use it?

thanx..

http://www.kittentastic.co.uk/lynzi/...ave[1].gif
b_ronick is offline   Reply With Quote
b_ronick
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 06-03-2004 Default of laptops and handphones

hey..

just wanna get some information about notebooks and the handphones in the US...

just a few questions>>>

do we need to get a notebook to bring to the US?
is it advisable to get a notebook here or a notebook over in the US? if i get it here, would it be obsolete by the time i bring it over there?

is handphone necessary to get in the united states? do the students there use it?

thanx..

sim_min
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 06-03-2004 Default

I used to bring my laptop from Malaysia to US. I thought it will be cheaper to get it in Malaysia, but then when I came here 3 years ago, I found that the price is actually not much different compare to here. But see, that was 3 years ago..i don't know how's the laptop market going on in Malaysia right now.

If you wish to get a laptop in Malaysia, make sure the brand name that u are getting can easily find in US. I mean, juz in case something wrong with your laptop and u need immediate "treatment" ... I bought Twinhead, and there was a problem with my laptop, I called to CA, there's no one pick up the phone, I emailed them, and there's no reply..so sad. And when i check through the internet, I found that they have only 2 companies located in US...that's sad. anyway, i can't wait anymore, so i get a DELL pc the next week. One thing u have to think about before buying a laptop, is that whether u are a person who need frequent upgrades to your computer...especially if you are kinda person who are up-to-date in technology..buying a pc would be a good deal here. to sum up, for warranty purpose, i would advice you to get your laptop here in US. but if you find the price is far cheaper in Malaysia, go ahead and grab it there. you can check for the prices over the internet. Sometimes, your university will give their student good deal in buying computer/laptop, you might need to check it out from your university website.

for handphone,
i used to stay in the dorm, it is equiped with telephone services and it's included in the bill. therefore i didn't get a cellphone. but i moved out last summer, my roomate and I decided not to apply for home phone since we will not stay in the house for the whole day, moreover, there will be a monthly fee for about $40 including tax and whatever(but i m not sure about about the price in other state). by getting a cellphone, it's also about $40 per person. but of course, it depends on the area you are staying, and if you would like to have internet access or sms service or not. some other bigger city has very good deal for cellphone. it's even cheaper than owning a homephone!

anyway, i would advice you to ask your senior about that..hahaha, i am in Nebraska! yeah...and there is no place like NEBRASKA!
Less Junior Member

#4 Old 06-03-2004 Default

I used to bring my laptop from Malaysia to US. I thought it will be cheaper to get it in Malaysia, but then when I came here 3 years ago, I found that the price is actually not much different compare to here. But see, that was 3 years ago..i don't know how's the laptop market going on in Malaysia right now.

If you wish to get a laptop in Malaysia, make sure the brand name that u are getting can easily find in US. I mean, juz in case something wrong with your laptop and u need immediate "treatment" ... I bought Twinhead, and there was a problem with my laptop, I called to CA, there's no one pick up the phone, I emailed them, and there's no reply..so sad. And when i check through the internet, I found that they have only 2 companies located in US...that's sad. anyway, i can't wait anymore, so i get a DELL pc the next week. One thing u have to think about before buying a laptop, is that whether u are a person who need frequent upgrades to your computer...especially if you are kinda person who are up-to-date in technology..buying a pc would be a good deal here. to sum up, for warranty purpose, i would advice you to get your laptop here in US. but if you find the price is far cheaper in Malaysia, go ahead and grab it there. you can check for the prices over the internet. Sometimes, your university will give their student good deal in buying computer/laptop, you might need to check it out from your university website.

for handphone,
i used to stay in the dorm, it is equiped with telephone services and it's included in the bill. therefore i didn't get a cellphone. but i moved out last summer, my roomate and I decided not to apply for home phone since we will not stay in the house for the whole day, moreover, there will be a monthly fee for about $40 including tax and whatever(but i m not sure about about the price in other state). by getting a cellphone, it's also about $40 per person. but of course, it depends on the area you are staying, and if you would like to have internet access or sms service or not. some other bigger city has very good deal for cellphone. it's even cheaper than owning a homephone!

anyway, i would advice you to ask your senior about that..hahaha, i am in Nebraska! yeah...and there is no place like NEBRASKA!
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 06-03-2004 Default

thanx...i'm still not sure...
btw, if anyone's got anything to say, feel free to do so..

b_ronick
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 06-03-2004 Default

thanx...i'm still not sure...
btw, if anyone's got anything to say, feel free to do so..

chenghau
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 06-03-2004 Default

I think sim_min has offered much valuable information.

About handphone (which people tend to call it cellphone here). I don't have it here mainly because I have a homephone in my dorm. On campus calls and local calls are free. I don't have to pay for the phone at all because it is covered in the tuition fee.

It depends on your school and your need seriously, like whether your school provides you any free local calls and whether you will be travelling so often that you really need a cellphone (as if you will not surivive without it).

One question to have in mind is "Where are you going to call?" Are you calling friends on campus? Are you making local calls? Are you calling nationwide? Are you making international calls? For nationwide or international calls, you can always use a calling card. The one I have costs me 1 cent/minute to call to anywhere in US, and 4 cents/minute back to Malaysia. (p/s: 1 cent and 4 cents USD, not RM)

The prepaid calling here is not as convenient (and as cheap) as that in Malaysia. Registering for the service is more common and cheaper, and you might also get a free cellphone.The service probably costs you around 30USD/month.

I agree with sim_min that whether getting a notebook in Msia depends on the deal you get. If the price is much cheaper and it is a branded laptop, ie Dell, HP-Compaq, Acer, Fujitsu, Sony, probably you should go for it.
chenghau is offline   Reply With Quote
chenghau
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 06-03-2004 Default

I think sim_min has offered much valuable information.

About handphone (which people tend to call it cellphone here). I don't have it here mainly because I have a homephone in my dorm. On campus calls and local calls are free. I don't have to pay for the phone at all because it is covered in the tuition fee.

It depends on your school and your need seriously, like whether your school provides you any free local calls and whether you will be travelling so often that you really need a cellphone (as if you will not surivive without it).

One question to have in mind is "Where are you going to call?" Are you calling friends on campus? Are you making local calls? Are you calling nationwide? Are you making international calls? For nationwide or international calls, you can always use a calling card. The one I have costs me 1 cent/minute to call to anywhere in US, and 4 cents/minute back to Malaysia. (p/s: 1 cent and 4 cents USD, not RM)

The prepaid calling here is not as convenient (and as cheap) as that in Malaysia. Registering for the service is more common and cheaper, and you might also get a free cellphone.The service probably costs you around 30USD/month.

I agree with sim_min that whether getting a notebook in Msia depends on the deal you get. If the price is much cheaper and it is a branded laptop, ie Dell, HP-Compaq, Acer, Fujitsu, Sony, probably you should go for it.
chenghau is offline   Reply With Quote
screw3d

#9 Old 06-03-2004 Default

I am not a laptop user, but I often see deals popping out once in a while for laptops.

While I'm 100% sure desktops are WAY cheaper here in the states, I'm pretty confident that it's the same for notebooks.

When in doubt, google!
screw3d is offline   Reply With Quote
screw3d

#10 Old 06-03-2004 Default

I am not a laptop user, but I often see deals popping out once in a while for laptops.

While I'm 100% sure desktops are WAY cheaper here in the states, I'm pretty confident that it's the same for notebooks.

When in doubt, google!
screw3d is offline   Reply With Quote