ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

FAQ about TOEFL, SAT 1 , SAT 2 and US University Application

d3stinydanc3withm3 Male
Less Junior Member

#71 Old 27-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngai View Post
Would you guys say that taking both ACT and SAT is an added advantage compared to others who just take the SAT?
Hehe why would you care? You have what you want already.
d3stinydanc3withm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gabrielle90
Slightly Senior Member

#72 Old 27-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhhcce View Post
You can take ACT at two places (Penang and KL). But, it is kinda like walk in registration. You phone the person in charge and that's all. Just bring your ID on the day of the exam. I used Barron only. The Science reasoning section in Barron though is not something you will see in the exam. They are unreasonably harder than those in the real exam.
walk in registration??? means dont have to online register to book place???
Gabrielle90 is offline   Reply With Quote
hhhcce

#73 Old 27-05-2008 Default

Nope. It is NOT an added advantage. It is only an added advantage given that you did very badly in SAT and very well in ACT.

What I meant by walk-in registration is that you just have to phone the person in charge at ISKL and give him your name (at least this is what I did last time). Then, on the test day, bring your ID to the college and that's all. I don't know anything about online registration but ACT is a new admission test and it is not that ubiquitous. I think online registration is only for those who live in the US. By the way, you have to buy a cheque or a money order that is withdrawable in the US.(Don't worry because the registration fee for ACT is about 30 percent less expensive than that of SAT)

#74 Old 28-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3stinydanc3withm3 View Post
Hehe why would you care? You have what you want already.
Well, I am simply interested to know the opinions of Malaysian students regarding this.
ngai is offline   Reply With Quote
koln_auhc
Slightly Senior Member

#75 Old 28-05-2008 Default

Haven't been here for quite some time. Almost a year to be exact.

Hopefully freshers going US this year can make something even better than last year.

Ciaoz.
koln_auhc is offline   Reply With Quote
starlemon
Slightly Senior Member

#76 Old 30-05-2008 Default

What is the TOEFL test like?

The test has 3 sections, plus a 30-minute writing test (Test of Written English), which is required of everyone who takes the paper-based test. It takes about 3-1/2 hours. There is no scheduled break.

What am I tested on in each section?

Listening Comprehension measures the ability to understand English as it is spoken in North America.
Structure and Written Expression measures the ability to recognize language that is appropriate for standard written English.
Reading Comprehension measures the ability to understand non-technical reading material.
Writing measures the ability to write in English on an assigned topic.

source:http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/m...0022f95190RCRD

i wonder is speaking test not tested in TOEFL??

seniors, pls clear my doubt..
Gabrielle90
Slightly Senior Member

#77 Old 30-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlemon View Post
What is the TOEFL test like?

The test has 3 sections, plus a 30-minute writing test (Test of Written English), which is required of everyone who takes the paper-based test. It takes about 3-1/2 hours. There is no scheduled break.

What am I tested on in each section?

Listening Comprehension measures the ability to understand English as it is spoken in North America.
Structure and Written Expression measures the ability to recognize language that is appropriate for standard written English.
Reading Comprehension measures the ability to understand non-technical reading material.
Writing measures the ability to write in English on an assigned topic.

source:http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/m...0022f95190RCRD

i wonder is speaking test not tested in TOEFL??

seniors, pls clear my doubt..
u can know about it in this thread, http://recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6579&page=4
eM-syaph
Less Junior Member

#78 Old 30-05-2008 Default

is there any interview/exam will be held besides than these sat n toefl incase of applying for Ivy Unis?
eM-syaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Gabrielle90
Slightly Senior Member

#79 Old 31-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eM-syaph View Post
is there any interview/exam will be held besides than these sat n toefl incase of applying for Ivy Unis?
depends on the university u applied... some require interview... some don't...
AppryL89 Female
Less Junior Member

#80 Old 31-05-2008 Default

i wanna ask about TOEFL. what are the differences between iBT and PBT? which one is the most popular choice among malaysians and why?
AppryL89 is offline   Reply With Quote