ReCom.org
Reading Sharing Share your past, present, and future readings here.

Rate the favorite book of the person above you

Reply
 
Thread Tools
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
nickvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 965
  #11 Old 05-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

Never read LOTR cuz i'm not into fantasy-type books (I have a uncreative and unimaginative mind)

Any Jeffrey Acher or Jeffrey Deaver fans here?
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
qedx
Slightly Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 991
  #12 Old 05-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

Never heard of Jeffrey Archer or Deaver. They probably write real-world, present time fiction? I never read those.

My favourite book at the moment is Infected by Scott Sigler simply for the amount of gore and violence in it. I'm reading its sequel, Contagious, now. Seems to be equally gory and violent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikraman View Post
"A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day."
I don't think that's in the book It's kinda hard to separate the contents of book and movie these days. It gets all mixed up. Aragorn is also permanently Viggo Mortensen
qedx is offline   Reply With Quote
vikraman Male
Slightly Senior Member
 
vikraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 570
  #13 Old 05-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

A well made movie about the book enriches the content of the book. I'm sorry for misquoting though.
__________________
Krautchan
vikraman is offline   Reply With Quote
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
nickvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 965
  #14 Old 05-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

Quote:
Originally Posted by qedx View Post
Never heard of Jeffrey Archer or Deaver. They probably write real-world, present time fiction? I never read those.

My favourite book at the moment is Infected by Scott Sigler simply for the amount of gore and violence in it. I'm reading its sequel, Contagious, now. Seems to be equally gory and violent.
OMG. U never heard of them?? Those books are fantastic! Deaver writes thriller/murder stuff seriously great reading. (His book called 'the bone collecter' was made into a movie starring denzel washington). But for the unintiated u must read his short story collection "Twisted" and " More Twisted"

Archer writes many genres. His latest book was 'the prisoner of birth'

p/s : We are complete opposites! U dun read present time real world, while i can't digest any fantasy stuff or even poignant, beautifully written works(except 'To kill a Mockingbird.) Think all those putlizer prize winners. Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road" made me swear off those kind of books. i know i know...i have a very simple mind.

Okay, how about Animorphs series (rather childish choice but i feel the message behind it is very complex and mature)
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
KID_KXE3
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10
  #15 Old 06-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

Animorp? r u talking about the Shapeshifter, wher the boy dax turn in2 a fox?
i hav read finding the fox 4 many times, dying 2 read the following books but cant find.........55555555555 haiz........
do any1 here read eragon?
KID_KXE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
nickvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 965
  #16 Old 06-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KID_KXE3 View Post
Animorp? r u talking about the Shapeshifter, wher the boy dax turn in2 a fox?
i hav read finding the fox 4 many times, dying 2 read the following books but cant find.........55555555555 haiz........
do any1 here read eragon?
Well, Animorphs are like a sci-fi series where the main characters can morph into any animals they touch. Never heard them refered to as Shapeshifters though.

There are five main characters and they take turns in narrating the story so each book is narratted by one character at a time
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
phoenix1892 Male
Member
 
phoenix1892's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 174
  #17 Old 07-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

The Picture of Dorian Gray is my favourite. It's like my own philosophy book. It's very astistic, hedonistic, yet so vain, corrupting, unconventional, and made quite a stir at the time of release. Examples in the quotes below:

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all"

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about"

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it"

"Men marry because they are tired; women, because they are curious: both are disappointed"

"It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution"

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter. The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself"


BTW, I thought we were rating fav books of previous posts? I used to love Animorphs. I'd give it a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.
__________________
Are you mean like a minx or are you lean like a lynx?
phoenix1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
KID_KXE3
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10
  #18 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvl View Post
Well, Animorphs are like a sci-fi series where the main characters can morph into any animals they touch. Never heard them refered to as Shapeshifters though.

There are five main characters and they take turns in narrating the story so each book is narratted by one character at a time
oo,tats a totally different series,i think....
KID_KXE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
ninjamole89
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
  #19 Old 17-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1892 View Post
The Picture of Dorian Gray is my favourite. It's like my own philosophy book. It's very astistic, hedonistic, yet so vain, corrupting, unconventional, and made quite a stir at the time of release. Examples in the quotes below:

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all"

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about"

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it"

"Men marry because they are tired; women, because they are curious: both are disappointed"

"It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution"

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter. The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself"
I remembered the last quote best. I loved the book. Deliciously and elegantly evil, dark and dirty. Maybe even a bit erotic. Imagine being beautiful (I imagined Dorian gray as beautiful. Not handsome) enough to get away from any crime. I'd give it 4/5, and would insist all young teens to read it, coz yeah, it's like a philosophy book.

This might sound queer, but, I'd put Wind in the Willows as my most favourite book. (Second would be....Frankenstien...or Treasure island). I bet half of mlaysian kids won't stand reading the whole book due to the 'very english' language and style of the book. I think the author painted the english countryside beautifully and whimsically. It made me think of jumping straight to england and live in the countryside. Anyway, everytime i read it, i feel a sense of peace, and melancholy, and makes me forget the woes of living my life for a bit.
  Reply With Quote
Li Shan Shung Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 212
  #20 Old 17-04-2009 Default Re: Rate the favorite book of the person above you

Agatha Christie anyone?

"And Then there were none". 12 victims, no detective, 1 confession
Li Shan Shung is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.10299 seconds with 14 queries