ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Science Expo > Psychology

Psychology Want to read people's mind? Know something about the brain composition? Come here.

B.Arts Psychology and B.Sci Psychology

davidchak

#11 Old 18-05-2008 Default

The name of your bachelor doesnt really matter actually.

Most if not all social science have lotsa things to do with research and writing skill.
You dont really have to worry about that.

You will get to brush up your skill when you goes into Pre-U, after all, thats what Pre-U is all about -- Preparing for University level learningS
davidchak is offline   Reply With Quote
PaTiEnT Female
Less Junior Member

#12 Old 19-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlemon View Post
Bachelor arts in psycho deal a lot with english writting?
can anyone clarify that?
helo!

English writing = lit, creative writing etc
or = essays?

Lit and creative writing, no.
Essays yes. Lotsa reports too. You gotta be prepared to do lots of writing. But this is the same with other course such as Commerce and Law. Don't worry. like david says, Pre-U will prepare you for that. When I was in first year uni I was still blur
PaTiEnT is offline   Reply With Quote
starlemon
Slightly Senior Member

#13 Old 19-05-2008 Default

wat types of essay did we required to write?on wat topics?is it facts?

Hw bout the exam? essay is oso required?
sNaiL0810

#14 Old 19-05-2008 Default

Quote:

u will need to do a research type essay on ur own, find some source and give ur opinion about that topic. For instance, abortion, terrorism, United Nation....
Essay is needed in every final exam one
sNaiL0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
davidchak

#15 Old 19-05-2008 Default

Sample Psychological Essay topic:

- The cause of Conformity effect on human behaviour
- The paradigm in human's perception of object
- Child-developmental and its contribution to human stereotype perception
- Freud's theory in modern world and the application of it.

SOmething liek that, if you are going for psychology.
davidchak is offline   Reply With Quote
PaTiEnT Female
Less Junior Member

#16 Old 19-05-2008 Default

Quote:

You start of with general topics in first year, then they train you to think critically with more specific topics. But this is not especially for psychology, it's the same for all courses.

My first year was mainly MCQ in exams, second year a mix of MCQ and short answers with an essay or two. Third year is all short answer and essays. Apart from exams, you can expect about 2 to 3 reports or essays overall for each subject. So a total of about 4 or 5 assignments per semester. We had no midterm exams, except once I remember which was 8 short answers.
PaTiEnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Jonathan Male
Super Junior Member

#17 Old 25-04-2009 Default Re: B.Arts Psychology and B.Sci Psychology

Hi I just got my SPM results last month. I was a Science student in Form 5 and I am planning to do Arts in Form 6. I would like to pursue my career in Psychology. I am wondering whether does psychology require the basic foundation in any of the Science subjects such as Biology. Please lend me a helping hand. Thx..........
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
tent
Less Junior Member

#18 Old 25-04-2009 Default Re: B.Arts Psychology and B.Sci Psychology

Hi,jonathan ...I can offer my view since i experienced it before.
I think that other than academia or being a therapist, psychology has little career prospects, precisely because of the bureaucratics of the professors sitting in their university offices caring little about their students careers and more about their prestige in their field/area. initially, i thought of taking psycho since i am attached to MOE scholarships , they allowa me to opt either ways. at last i make up my decision to take up speech therapy rather than psycho. I've also read numerous articles about PHD grads from psych going away from academia and rather going into industry or government jobs, ie environments where they can maintain their sanity and actually make a decent enough living (after all if you've got a PHD why be limited to a salary lower than most BA engineering and computer science grads!)
if you aim for malaysia, definetely it is just a pure arts course.Only overseas universities do offer a science psychology. maybe HELP uni and sunway uni is one of private institutions that offer behavioural science psychology.Basically, you would learn everything no matter it is arts or science psycho, u got to take arts subjects as well.it is all about the social science fields and science do involve neuroscience and biology.
most of the time,they accept either arts or science students to do psycho.

I've known other psych grads who've gone into human resources, publishing (although that's the family business), and school teaching。
tent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tent For This Useful Post:
Jonathan Male
Super Junior Member

#19 Old 25-04-2009 Default Re: B.Arts Psychology and B.Sci Psychology

I just received my SPM results last month and I am planning to continue with my Form 6 studies. I was a Science stream student and I want to switch to Arts stream in Form 6. I would like to pursue my career in Psychology. Since Psychology is a social science subject, does Psychology require basic foundation in any of the Science subjects especially Biology. If yes, maybe I would change my mind to do Science in Form 6. Pls do reply to me asap. Thx a lot.......

Last edited by Jonathan; 25-04-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
tent
Less Junior Member

#20 Old 25-04-2009 Default Re: B.Arts Psychology and B.Sci Psychology

There is a slight stigma difference between B.A./B.S., but it is not a huge difference when applying to grad programs.Like My mom have a B.A. and almost an M.A., but the "arts" doesn't mean my mum devoid of the "science" of research. So that in itself isn't a huge deal.
so having a science background doesnt do with the degree that u may take later. But it is quite advanatgeuos to you ...I do think that taking extra math and science classes are very useful, especially if you plan to pursue a graduate level degree. Most programs in the graduate level pay attention to the specific courses you have taken and the grades you received in them versus whether or not you have a BA or BS.
tent is offline   Reply With Quote