ReCom.org
Reading Sharing Share your past, present, and future readings here.

[Must Read]To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee

zhen
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 09-09-2007 Default [Must Read]To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee

IMO this novel is even better than Harry Potter.

Quote from Wikipedia:

Quote:

To Kill a Mockingbird is a Southern Gothic novel by Harper Lee in the bildungsroman genre. Published in 1960, To Kill a Mockingbird won the Pulitzer Prize in 1961. It is taught in approximately 74% of schools in the United States. A 1991 survey by the Book-of-the-Month Club and the Library of Congress' Center for the Book found that To Kill A Mockingbird came in second after the Bible in books "most often cited as making a difference."

The novel is loosely based on the lives of various friends and members of the author's family, but with differing character names. Lee has acknowledged that the character Jean Louise "Scout" Finch, who serves as the novel's narrator, is somewhat based on herself.

To Kill a Mockingbird contains many themes such as selfishness, hatred, courage, pride, prejudice, and life's many stages, set against a backdrop of life in the Deep South. The book was successfully adapted for film by director Robert Mulligan with a screenplay by Horton Foote in 1962. To date, it is Lee's only published novel.
In short, the author only write this novel, and sold for 3 million copies. The story is somewhat touching, yet irony.

PS: It's only rm24.90 in kinokuniya klcc, where i bought this book. ^^
zhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Caprio

#2 Old 16-04-2008 Default

Anyone else read this book?

I read it about two years ago. The beginning of the story is quite monotonous and boring.

Anyway, this novel is quite touching and thought provoking. Worth reading.

However, this book can't compare with Harry Potter, though these two books are fictional, the theme is quite different. Just like a romance novel compare with thriller novel.
Caprio is offline   Reply With Quote
passOUT
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 30-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprio View Post
Anyone else read this book?

I read it about two years ago. The beginning of the story is quite monotonous and boring.

Anyway, this novel is quite touching and thought provoking. Worth reading.

However, this book can't compare with Harry Potter, though these two books are fictional, the theme is quite different. Just like a romance novel compare with thriller novel.
i totally agree with you!!!
that book belonged to my auntie..found it when i spring-cleaned the house...
passOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Yvette
Less Junior Member

#4 Old 31-05-2008 Default

i read this book 4 years ago and it touched me in such a way that no other book has. it is definitely better than harry potter...

by far, this book has remained my all time favourite.

i cried when Boo stopped putting gifts in the tree-hollow. anyone else with the same reaction as me? =)
Yvette is offline   Reply With Quote
ianbyc Male
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 31-05-2008 Default

Wow. The first time I heard of this book was when it was mentioned in the sitcom 'Malcom in the Middle'. LOL

Visit my personal blog at www.ianbong.net
ianbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
tezuka87
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 01-06-2008 Default

I like it too!! Great book...classic...looks at some deep issues...first time I came across the word 'nigger' lols
tezuka87 is offline   Reply With Quote
donkay91 Female
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 01-10-2008 Default

it was a slightly heavy read for me and at times I had to reread a page sometimes just to figure what's really going on haha. But I think the themes are good.. bout the courage in people that falter when faced with the rest of the world. so I applaud Atticus =) that's his name right? lol. not easy fighting against prejudice and unsaid racism.
donkay91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Yvette
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 08-12-2008 Default Re: [Must Read]To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee

Has anyone watched the old black and white 'To Kill A Mockingbird' movie? How good is it?
Yvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Alexis Ma
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#9 Old 31-01-2009 Default Re: [Must Read]To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee

Everyone should read this book. It is the best.

The beginning is boring to us - but it sets the story. Understanding the American South is very different from understanding modern America

#10 Old 01-02-2009 Default Re: [Must Read]To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee

ya wish of reading this book for a long time..i lived in northern side, so getting a book is not as easy as u think...however, im gonna grasp it if the time come..thx for introducing..
CCY_to_the_top is offline   Reply With Quote