ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Most spoken languages in the world

Sherman
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 23-08-2004 Default Can someone tell me e 10 most spoken languages in the world?

Hi,

Can someone tell me what are the ten most spoken languages in the world?

1. English
2. Chinese?
3. ?

Thanks a lot!!

cheers,
Sherman
Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
The_Observer

#2 Old 23-08-2004 Default

Try the languages of previously imperialistic countries:

French, Spanish, Portuguese, German(?)

Not so sure about Hindi and Tamil...a lot of ppl speaking it but usually within India.

Arabic is another...with certain variations from country to country
(for rg. Jawi- Arabic + BM)

Any others?
luke Male
KittyLover
Administrator

#3 Old 23-08-2004 Default Re: Can someone tell me e 10 most spoken languages in the wo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman
have you tried googling?

I found this webpage created solely to answer your question

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/topte...languages.html

p/s: I was shocked Malay-Indonesian makes it to #9 8O .. and #1 is not English ..

#4 Old 24-08-2004 Default

Yeah...no 1 is definitely not English....
I got to know this few years ago...and I think this must be because of the population of China....
pandaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
kevinkhoo1986

#5 Old 24-08-2004 Default

The most spoken language in the world is Mandarin (Chinese) with more than 850 million using it daily. The next most spoken language is either English or Spanish with population around 320 million. In term of importance, no doubt english is definitely the most important as it is used by the world most powerful nation. But mandarin is catching up fast due to China's economy performance which accelerated so fast.

Here is the link http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html or http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html or http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0775272.html
kevinkhoo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
kevinkhoo1986

#6 Old 24-08-2004 Default Re: Can someone tell me e 10 most spoken languages in the wo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman
have you tried googling?

I found this webpage created solely to answer your question

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/topte...languages.html

p/s: I was shocked Malay-Indonesian makes it to #9 8O .. and #1 is not English ..
Yea...! i was shocked too. But i think they did some mistake. The Malay and Indonesia are totally a different language. A student from indonesia still need to take Bahasa class in order to study in local U. It is just like saying Mandarin and Cantonese are the same language. Overall, i think they are not that important.
kevinkhoo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
gatecrasher
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 24-08-2004 Default Re: Can someone tell me e 10 most spoken languages in the wo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkhoo1986
The Malay and Indonesia are totally a different language.
Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia) = Malay. Check out cereal box (or shampoo etc.) labels. You'll notice 98% similarity.
maybe you mean Malay is different from their dialects, eg Javanese and so on.

Quote:
A student from indonesia still need to take Bahasa class in order to study in local U.
well, even malaysian students have to take msian studies (which covers the same topics as history) at college level.
that class probably shares the purpose as moral, "ethics" (for non-muslim students at uitm - it's just a euphemism for islamic studies) and other redundant classes students in this country have to take: make life harder.
gatecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
luke Male
KittyLover
Administrator

#8 Old 24-08-2004 Default Re: Can someone tell me e 10 most spoken languages in the wo

Quote:
Yea...! i was shocked too. But i think they did some mistake. The Malay and Indonesia are totally a different language. A student from indonesia still need to take Bahasa class in order to study in local U. It is just like saying Mandarin and Cantonese are the same language. Overall, i think they are not that important.
Now let me ask something, people who know mandarin but not cantonese, will they understand anything said in cantonese ... are the sentence constructions the same? I don't know either mandarin or cantonese so I'm not the one to judge here ...

but on the other hand, Malay and Indonesian have the same construction .. only *some* of the vocabulary are different but I can speak with fellow indonesians friends here at my university and we understand each other pretty well ... is this the case with Cantonese and Mandarin too?

note: I know some of chinese friends here taking Mandarin classes .. when I asked them "how come?", they said they only know cantonese, hokkien etc so that's why they take Mandarin classes ... care to clarify?

on the other hand, all my malaysian friends here at Cornell (malay, chinese and indian) and I were taking advantage of a loophole in the foreign language requirement set by the university. The university said Malay and Indonesian language are different. So we took the Indonesian placement test and passed it without even have to study Indonesian and fullfilled our foreign language requirement wiht ease ... now how? what do you think?

#9 Old 24-08-2004 Default

Quote:
The most spoken language in the world is Mandarin (Chinese) with more than 850 million using it daily. The next most spoken language is either English or Spanish with population around 320 million. In term of importance, no doubt english is definitely the most important as it is used by the world most powerful nation. But mandarin is catching up fast due to China's economy performance which accelerated so fast.

Here is the link http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html or http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html or http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0775272.html
I hate to politicise this issue, but I think it's just a matter of time before our Gov encourage us to learn Chinese.

Then UMNO youth will say, "Don't learn the language of the communist! Let's burn down Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall'!"

Er... you get my drift...
________
red head girl Webcams

Last edited by misled_youth; 03-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.
misled_youth is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#10 Old 24-08-2004 Default

luke, in fact, the foreign language in Cornell, doesn't care where you come from. Someone from China taking Mandarin as foreign language is perfectly legal in Cornell's context.

I fully agree with Luke on the point about Cantonese and Mandarin. Cantonese is one of the many dialects of Chinese. However, Indonesian and Malay Language are just a close variation.
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote