ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Science Expo > Psychology

Psychology Want to read people's mind? Know something about the brain composition? Come here.

Why are people so afraid of Psychology?

PaTiEnT Female
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 01-05-2008 Default Why are people so afraid of Psychology?

Your thoughts on having a mental illness..

What are your fears of seeing a Psychologist?
How do you think people might perceive you?
Is it the same as going to see a Counsellor?

I'm curious about the prevalence of the "Don't need to see psychologist/psychiatrist, I'm not crazy" mentality..

Thoughts anyone?
PaTiEnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Shoblast
Slightly Senior Member

#2 Old 01-05-2008 Default

how do you know if you are crazy?
Shoblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Olataro

#3 Old 01-05-2008 Default

Maybe ppl are afraid that psychologist have mind comtrol powers and could rip your soul out...just like the Psycher in warhammer40K or like Yuri, from red alert 2?
Olataro is offline   Reply With Quote
yummyummylicious

#4 Old 01-05-2008 Default

Do we know when we need to seek a psychiatrist? when we are crazy?
But i do know when ppl suffering from eating disorder like anorexia / bulimia, they can seek help from a psychologist...
kinda make me think of Basic Instict 2 , the guy inside is a psychiatrist
PaTiEnT Female
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 01-05-2008 Default

LOL!!

Shoblast: good question. people don't usually know they're crazy that's why they're crazy? hahah.. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if people are "crazy", they usually have little or no insight about it until they are made to recognize it (even so, some disorders are beyond self-awareness).

Having a mental illness doesn't mean you're 'mental', it just means you have stressful life circumstances which impair your daily life functioning. Like having depression is the extreme version of being unhappy, or having obsessive compulsive disorder is at the extreme end of someone who likes order and structure The difference is in the degree of the feelings/behaviours/thoughts that you have that makes you mentally ill.

So in a way, people who are 'crazy' (if you mean mentally ill by that), are really unfortunate people who got the lesser end of the stick

Olataro - interesting point! hehe.. psychologists are people la.. they can't read your mind much less control your mind.. don't be scared!!

yummyyummylicious: I know.. you just made clear a very unfortunate but important point. Eating disorders are so common nowadays.. I've seen anorexic people too, and it's just sad that there's not enough mental health professionals to go around.. Unfortunately, a lot of people still don't like the idea of seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist..

Last edited by PaTiEnT; 01-05-2008 at 07:59 PM.
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#6 Old 01-05-2008 Default

I think the perception differs from one country to another. In Malaysia, people are not eager to see doctors for emotional problem, especially in the case of depression. Many people see clinical depression as "just down for a while", not realising that in the serious cases it requires clinical intervention from psychiatrist and psychologists.

In Australia, I see that many patient who come to hospital admit about their depression quite comfortably, as if it's just another disease like hypertension and diabetes. But there's also some arguments that there is an over-diagnosis of depression in Australia, and I am quite inclined to that view as well.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
PaTiEnT Female
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 01-05-2008 Default

youngyew, I agree with you. Im currently located in Melbourne too! Giving someone a diagnosis of depression can have adverse effects especially coz it's already a "helplessness/worthlessness" themed disorder. So this person comes in feeling sad and hopeless.. then you tell them they have depression and they're like.. "oh shit, now I'll never be happy again". The labelling is dangerous if the patient has a false sense of the prognosis of depression.
jayden

#8 Old 01-05-2008 Default

I actually think it's because they don't want to admit their problems, prefering to take the "I'll see what I can do about it myself first".

But then, in Malaysia, especially among our parents' generation, the word 'psychologist' actually brings to mind 'a doctor for mentally ill people' not only fro people with social problems and stuff.

jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
yummyummylicious

#9 Old 01-05-2008 Default

Quote:
yummyyummylicious: I know.. you just made clear a very unfortunate but important point. Eating disorders are so common nowadays.. I've seen anorexic people too, and it's just sad that there's not enough mental health professionals to go around.. Unfortunately, a lot of people still don't like the idea of seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist..
Some people actually think being anorexic is cool...and they dont think its a big deal and there's no need to seek any psychiatrist for that...as they can stay super skinny and fit in most of the clothes...
mmm, I actually have a bulimic friend...I feel sad about her case but cant help much on her problem...She's not the obese kind but just being chubby, or a little fatter than chubby, and she's always unsatisfied with her body shape and end up being bulimic for 4 years++ I think the main reason will be she's always surrounded by thin/skinny friends...She felt ashame or whateva..
She doesnt seek for help and only a few close friends of hers know about this problem. Even her family dont know about this...sad, sad...
I do think she need some help, will a psychiatrist help much on this kinda case? or we as her friend should pay more attention on her?
PaTiEnT Female
Less Junior Member

#10 Old 02-05-2008 Default

Jayden: that is exactly what I'm afraid of.. do you think there is any way of educating people that this is not the case?

yummy: well.. it's the perception problem. I also have a friend who is bulimic. I guess you guys can question, is there a reason why she might feel that she is not "good enough"? Many people are chubby (I myself am on the fat side), but not all are bulimic. So what is it that makes your friend bulimic? Is there pressure from home? Why is she giving herself such expectations? Do people make remarks at her which they think are harmless, but have a huge impact on her?

She would have low self-esteem to begin with and as her friend, the best you can do is to help her see that there are many other things in life that are important, not just appearance. It is unfortunate that society has evolved into a much more material/appearance-based mindset. There is nothing we can do to stop this, but we can find qualities about ourselves which are more meaningful than thin figures and a pimple-free face. Just support her, remind her of the qualities that she has and be careful of comments about appearance in front of her even if it's about other people.. A psychologist would help, but if she is reluctant, maybe try a counsellor to begin with.

Some people actually overcome this on their own but 4 years is a long time to be bulimic and the consequences are not as obvious as having anorexia so it seems less serious. If she gets worse, do what you think is right for her. Go to the people who you think can help her better.. If she continues to be extremely self-critical, go on diets AND fail on those diets, she could easily become depressed.. so watch out for your friend..
The Following User Says Thank You to PaTiEnT For This Useful Post: