ReCom.org
SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

Stpm 2009

eugenetoh91 Male

#81 Old 21-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

Well, I hope STPM is my last backup plan if every scholarship that I applied rejected me. Therefore, I certainly need to know how is the syllabus of STPM like. Im difinitely interested in Physics. So, there will be 4 subjectshysics, Math, Chemistry and Pengajian Am. Besides that, Im interested in taking Economics too. Can anyone of you explain some of details of those subjects to me? Thanks. Everyone says that STPM is indeed a toughy, I really need to know how tough is the tough. Is the STPM marking system always changing? How can we guarantee ourself to score 5A in STPM?? Thanks once again.
What is a criteria of a person to strike 5A in STPM??
lawteoh Male

#82 Old 21-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetoh91 View Post
Well, I hope STPM is my last backup plan if every scholarship that I applied rejected me. Therefore, I certainly need to know how is the syllabus of STPM like. Im difinitely interested in Physics. So, there will be 4 subjectshysics, Math, Chemistry and Pengajian Am. Besides that, Im interested in taking Economics too. Can anyone of you explain some of details of those subjects to me? Thanks. Everyone says that STPM is indeed a toughy, I really need to know how tough is the tough. Is the STPM marking system always changing? How can we guarantee ourself to score 5A in STPM?? Thanks once again.
ur choice kinda weird. physics, maths, chem, PA and Economy.. I doubt there wud be this package. Btw, i think the toughness of STPM have already been discussed in other threads. read it somewhere b4.

Anyway, I would say Chem is the toughest. lolz..
lawteoh is offline   Reply With Quote
tsar Male

#83 Old 21-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

The first and foremost criteria would be to take 5 subjects in STPM .

STPM has a very wide syllabus. We basically study everything under the sun that one can study at a Pre University Level. At the end of it all, we sit for one exam which has less than 20 questions. Each question usually tests one particular section of the syllabus, meaning a very small subtopic.

There are no textbooks for STPM. So the ones in the market are the publishers' interpretation of the syllabus. Hence, nobody knows what the syllabus actually wants, only make educated guesses based on past year questions.

That said, STPM gives the most opportunities to a person. From STPM, one can always go to IPTA, IPTS or Overseas.

Economics STPM would be great at helping you secure a place overseas in Economics course. Business Studies (Pengajian Perniagaan) is also useful. Mathematics is a must.

Last edited by tsar; 21-04-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
cuppycake Female

#84 Old 21-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
That said, STPM gives the most opportunities to a person. From STPM, one can always go to IPTA, IPTS or Overseas.

Economics STPM would be great at helping you secure a place overseas in Economics course. Business Studies (Pengajian Perniagaan) is also useful. Mathematics is a must.
a lot of people mention that u can go to overseas universities with stpm. So that means, you can even apply to UK universities through ucas with your stpm?

like eugene, stpm is also my last backup plan.
cuppycake is offline   Reply With Quote
tsar Male

#85 Old 21-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

cuppycake, STPM and Cambridge A Levels have the same ancestor - the HSC. So UK universities do recognise STPM.

eugenetoh91, the Cambridge website says that Mathematics is compulsory for Economics, while A Level Economics is desired. A Level Business Studies may also be helpful. For Computer Science and Engineering, A Level Further Math is highly desired alongside Physics and Mathematics. For Mathematics, A Level Further Maths is a must alongside Mathematics.
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#86 Old 21-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetoh91 View Post
I never heard of such a combo before usually the extra would be physics if u r bio student n vise versa or further maths.

Toughness? its one of the hardest in the world, syllabus wider and more in-depth than a-level=study more. in my school, only two ppl got 4 flat

How tough is tough? All my seniors adviced me not to take even some teachers too.
Just give u example, my bro said uni was a breeze compared to form 6. So relaxing...

Criteria? Um...just take five subjects...

Eugenetoh, since u decide to take engineering maybe u better stick to 4 cuz it ain't spm where u can take 15 subs n passed with flying colours. It s a whole different ball game for Stpm. I like econs too (took it for spm) but i dun think i should spread myself too thin.

Ultimately ur choice, go for 5 subjects if u think u have the self discipline n good time-management ...(i don't, haha)

Last edited by nickvl; 21-04-2009 at 07:18 PM.
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
tsar Male

#87 Old 21-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

eugenetoh91, first of all I very much support your desire to take 5 subjects.

That said, the combination of subjects you proposed would only be useful if you wanted to do Economics. Are you sure that is the course you want to do in university? If you're set on Engineering, Economics at STPM level won't be of any use. Scoring an A in Economics would definitely show you have breadth, but not scoring an A would become an anchor around your neck.

STPM Economics is not a walk in the park unlike SPM level. There are many things to study. Just make sure this is what you're interested in.
SapphireDragon Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#88 Old 21-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

Quote:
eugenetoh91, first of all I very much support your desire to take 5 subjects.

That said, the combination of subjects you proposed would only be useful if you wanted to do Economics. Are you sure that is the course you want to do in university? If you're set on Engineering, Economics at STPM level won't be of any use. Scoring an A in Economics would definitely show you have breadth, but not scoring an A would become an anchor around your neck.

STPM Economics is not a walk in the park unlike SPM level. There are many things to study. Just make sure this is what you're interested in.
I know eugenetoh.He wants to take economics becuz one day he wants to take an MBA after engineering, right? Then he wants to become a CEO of his own comopany...haha

Be an optimist and enjoy life!

Visit my blog.
SapphireDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#89 Old 21-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

Quote:
yeah there's like micro and macro economy which r pretty different stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireDragon View Post
I know eugenetoh.He wants to take economics becuz one day he wants to take an MBA after engineering, right? Then he wants to become a CEO of his own comopany...haha
Not necessary to take for stpm even if u want to take an mba.

One thing though, i salute u eugenetoh u're very ambitious n dat's good... (I'm more of a cross-bridges-when-i-come-to-it person..LOL)

Last edited by nickvl; 21-04-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Rag3x Male
Super Junior Member

#90 Old 22-04-2009 Default Re: Stpm 2009

Owh gosh, MUET is on this 25th April (Reading, Writing, & Listening). Good luck to all candidates~.

Hereby to wish you all good luck.
Rag3x is offline   Reply With Quote