ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

[NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Reply
 
Thread Tools
kfc Male
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 75
  #21 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
I think results will be released gradually with top students accepted first, then 2nd tier students followed by the next group until the very last batch. Not sure when mine will be processed or maybe not at all T_T Feeling insecure right now, it's like being told by your girlfriend to wait 1 day for sex. LOL
err dun think so, hard courses will be considered first, so those who dun get their 1st choice will be considered their second 1(less harder), so department of "less harder course" is placed at the end, eg EEE, mech eng, if u refer to their indicative grade profile in NUS website, and often less harder 1 bears more number of places available(stated in indicative grade profile).
kfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Eurytos Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 174
  #22 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc View Post
err dun think so, hard courses will be considered first, so those who dun get their 1st choice will be considered their second 1(less harder), so department of "less harder course" is placed at the end, eg EEE, mech eng, if u refer to their indicative grade profile in NUS website, and often less harder 1 bears more number of places available(stated in indicative grade profile).
Hmm... logical reasoning. Perhaps my assumption of the NUS admission system has been wrong all this while. If that is the case wouldn't the science and courses like mechanical engineering be announced at the very end according to the indicative grade profile ?
__________________
If There Was A Race For 2nd Place, I Would Still Finish 2nd.
Eurytos is offline   Reply With Quote
kfc Male
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 75
  #23 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
Hmm... logical reasoning. Perhaps my assumption of the NUS admission system has been wrong all this while. If that is the case wouldn't the science and courses like mechanical engineering be announced at the very end according to the indicative grade profile ?
dats wat happened to my fren who got stpm 5As, his first choice medic got rejected, not even invited for interview, then second 1 pharmacy oso got rejected LOL !! he waited till very long until his third choice EEE got accepted, 2 years ago. Sum sciences are harder lor like pharmacy, slack 1 later lor...

to complement wat i said earlier, they nid to set cut-off point for slack 1, thus have to wait all aplicant who dun get their hard first choice to set their yearly cut-off point for slack courses, btw wat course u apply?

for EEE, mech eng, 4As(not A-) in A lvl and STPM sure get EEE, mech eng, if u put in ur choices...chemical eng is d hard 1 among engineering, 4As may and may not be sufficient.

law is like medicine, so

pharmacy slacker than chemi eng, but also not as easy as eee, mech eng.

material science n eng so few places...hard...like chemi

natural sciences are not dat hard, maybe like eee, mech eng,

finally nursing i dunno haha !! anyone applied this?
kfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Eurytos Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 174
  #24 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

I applied for natural science as first choice then 2nd was Mechanical and economics double degree or something like that. But i want to study pure physics so only my 1st choice will do, if not i will probably see what course NTU offers me.
Referring to your earlier posts, does that mean if someone applied for pharmacy and haven't got the offer he will most probably be offered his 2nd choice ?
__________________
If There Was A Race For 2nd Place, I Would Still Finish 2nd.
Eurytos is offline   Reply With Quote
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
nickvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 965
  #25 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
Anyone applied Medicine? I'm so nervous now. Anyone got called for interview yet?
Well, not to throw cold water on anything but if u applied for medicine in singapore...its difficult. Cuz singapore rarely give for medicine n dentistry.

My cousins a valedictorian in college n all she got was a pharmacy offer. Anothe mum's friend's daughter was an ASEAN scholar since form 1 n singapore refuse to give scholarship for medicine but NUS accept her as private candidate...meaning still have to pay

Still theres always hope...
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
kfc Male
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 75
  #26 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
I applied for natural science as first choice then 2nd was Mechanical and economics double degree or something like that. But i want to study pure physics so only my 1st choice will do, if not i will probably see what course NTU offers me.
Referring to your earlier posts, does that mean if someone applied for pharmacy and haven't got the offer he will most probably be offered his 2nd choice ?
I think NUS always leave a few places for appeals, or mayb NUS havent get to those who put pharm as their first choice, now still at the very beginning, but if those wanted pharm waited for very long, likelihood=low...

wat u get for ur pre-U results? if u get 3As (not the stpm general paper), pure physics is urs de !! science not dat hot...hot is chemi eng...!!! for engineering.
kfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Eurytos Male
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 174
  #27 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc View Post
I think NUS always leave a few places for appeals, or mayb NUS havent get to those who put pharm as their first choice, now still at the very beginning, but if those wanted pharm waited for very long, likelihood=low...

wat u get for ur pre-U results? if u get 3As (not the stpm general paper), pure physics is urs de !! science not dat hot...hot is chemi eng...!!! for engineering.
I got 3 A and 2 A - in pa and chem for stpm, initially i wanted to apply for dd in econs and mech. engineering in nUS but then i wouldnt be able to afford it if i wasn't offered a scholarship even with all the study loans available. Oh well keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway kfc what course are u doing in NUS right now ?
__________________
If There Was A Race For 2nd Place, I Would Still Finish 2nd.
Eurytos is offline   Reply With Quote
tsar Male
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 357
  #28 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfc View Post
Medicine is impossible, dont hope on it.
Every year there are only 2/3 foreigners who are admitted to NUS medicine, even though Singaporeans need to attain 7/8 As in Singapore-Cambridge A lvl to secure for medicine, where the As are distributed among 5 art plus science subjects, 1 project work, 1 mother tongue, 1 general paper.

If ur stpm get 5As(including subsection), u wont get the interview unless u got an A1 in ur mother tongue(SPM Chinese for Chinese ppl), A1 in E1119(GCE-O), even if u get the interview, thats only account for 50% of the overall admission score, u nid to have other things else like contribution to society, country and more to have another 50%.

SO FORGET IT, u wont get it...Im studying now in NUS Mech Eng =)

NUS will process those courses which are competitive first, i guess for engineering, EEE/Mechanical Engineering/Engineering sure slowest de lor...
I got 5As in STPM, and yes As for all subsections too. So I guess the only condition I don't fulfill is SPM Chinese, since I didn't take the subject .

Lol, 2/3 foreigners indeed. Thank you very much for this information.

And no, I don't feel disheartened. In fact, I feel relieved. Ha ha . If Medicine is indeed so hard to get, then I lose nothing by not getting it. I didn't apply anything else except Dentistry as my second choice, so no worries about being offered something else there.

Three 5A students already got Chemical Engineering.

I know NUS doesn't really accept foreigners for Medicine these days, and yes its that little ray of hope that keeps everything alive. I'm applying to the schools I'm interested in, and I can only pray that everything comes out OK. Ultimately it's still in God's hands, so I have nothing to shout about really.
tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
kfc Male
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 75
  #29 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
I got 3 A and 2 A - in pa and chem for stpm, initially i wanted to apply for dd in econs and mech. engineering in nUS but then i wouldnt be able to afford it if i wasn't offered a scholarship even with all the study loans available. Oh well keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway kfc what course are u doing in NUS right now ?
har? u will get every single cents u need in nus/ntu if u r admitted...swt...
they sure give tuition grant and tuitoin fee loan, these already account for very much, if u r poor, u can apply for nus study loan...so done...
plus got asean scholarship if u can get...so u dun nid tuition fee loan and nus study loan.

no1 will be denied their education in NUS/NTU if u r admitted...

so why not engineering

im doing mech eng.

why so many ppl die in chem ar...my frens oso had d same situation...
kfc is offline   Reply With Quote
caramel_nut Female
Slightly Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 528
  #30 Old 11-04-2009 Default Re: [NUS] Application Outcome 2009

Getting NUS medicine is not totally impossible. I do know of at least two Malaysians who was accepted before. One was accepted just two years ago and he was a top STPM student as well.
caramel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Application results are released for SimeDarby Scholarships 2009!!! confuser008 Scholarships 10 08-04-2009 04:54 PM
NTU Admission/Scholarship Outcome flyzzx Scholarships 68 19-06-2008 10:18 PM
NUS Application 2008/2009 Xianst Scholarships 2 06-06-2008 09:45 PM
IMU Application lucasscott Every Little Thing About Medicine 26 07-02-2008 05:15 PM
IMU application niknasir Every Little Thing About Medicine 1 04-06-2007 03:35 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.11420 seconds with 15 queries