ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Science Expo > Astronomy

Astronomy Like the stars and Jupiter? Come see them here.

International Year of Astronomy 2009

luminodreamer89

#1 Old 04-05-2009 Default International Year of Astronomy 2009

The International Year of Astronomy 2009 is a global effort initiated by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) and UNESCO to help the citizens of the world rediscover their place in the Universe through the day- and night-time sky, and thereby engage a personal sense of wonder and discovery.
Vision

Everyone should realise the impact of astronomy and other fundamental sciences on our daily lives, and understand how scientific knowledge can contribute to a more equitable and peaceful society. IYA2009 activities are taking place locally, nationally, regionally and internationally. National Nodes in each country are running activities throughout 2009 which will establish collaborations between professional and amateur astronomers, science centres and science communicators. 137 countries are already involved and over 140 are expected to participate eventually.
To coordinate this huge global programme and to provide an important resource for the participating countries, the IAU established a central Secretariat and an IYA2009 website (www.astronomy2009.org) as the principal IYA2009 resource for public, professionals and media alike
The International Year of Astronomy 2009 is endorsed by the United Nations and the International Council of Science (ICSU).

[Quoted from http://www.astronomy2009.org/general]

Well, heard that Petrosains KLCC will have a grand exhibition due to the IYA 2009 from now on until 17th of May.

Gotta have a look!

"Only through observing the vast universe, we understand how timid we are and start to appreciate our lives."
luminodreamer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#2 Old 25-06-2009 Default Re: International Year of Astronomy 2009

In the spirit of the international year of astronomy I would like to share a related news here.

I read in a newspaper that a total solar eclipse is going to occur on 22 July 2009. It is said that this solar eclipse will be the longest total solar eclipse that will occur in the twenty-first century... I do hope that we'll be able to see it here in Malaysia...

May you be well and happy!!! :)
yanno_yamster is offline   Reply With Quote
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#3 Old 25-06-2009 Default Re: International Year of Astronomy 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanno_yamster View Post
In the spirit of the international year of astronomy I would like to share a related news here.

I read in a newspaper that a total solar eclipse is going to occur on 22 July 2009. It is said that this solar eclipse will be the longest total solar eclipse that will occur in the twenty-first century... I do hope that we'll be able to see it here in Malaysia...
Provided we don't do the countdown on ReCom...It'll be like....(scenario starts)

hey it's gonna happen soon peeps...
2 more minutes...
star, stop laughing like that...
mind your business, boyz..
whack you...
what whack me for? I'm innocent....
1 more minute...
whack whack whack....
ah hah.. i got 2000th post!!!
u cheat....
no i didnt....
whack again

and the most historic moment happened....

OMG we missed it!!!!

Typical.
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#4 Old 25-06-2009 Default Re: International Year of Astronomy 2009

Haha, but I think we'd be standing outside straining our necks looking at the sky instead of drying our eyes looking at the computer screen on that day...

nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#5 Old 25-06-2009 Default Re: International Year of Astronomy 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanno_yamster View Post
Haha, but I think we'd be standing outside straining our necks looking at the sky instead of drying our eyes looking at the computer screen on that day...
Then again, the above scenario might happen...because we are so addicted to recomming! hehehe
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#6 Old 25-06-2009 Default Re: International Year of Astronomy 2009

Who knows we might end up luring other spammers to this thread... And then they hijack it like the matchmaking thread... Hopefully not...