ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#11 Old 23-05-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

I think the "perk" about getting "higher pay overseas" is overrated. That only works if you're planning to spend your GBPs or USDs back in Malaysia. Otherwise, if you reside in the UK or US, you'll need to pay monstrous amounts of taxes, AND cope with the high cost of living.

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
angel_tnp29 Female

#12 Old 23-05-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

I don't mind to work in Malaysia as the pay for me is high. Well, I want to work with different environment so I hope I can have a job which based in Malaysia but required me to travel a lot.

nguongping.blogspot.com
angel_tnp29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Keiko123
Slightly Senior Member

#13 Old 23-05-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

At the first place, I'll work in Malaysia, of course! Because all my family, relatives and friends are here. Malaysia is my homeland, tanah tumpah darahku as well!

However, if I were given any opportunity, maybe can consider to work overseas, but then there is the time for me to leave my homeland, my family, my everything. T.T Not nice at all okay, though the pay is high and tempting.

In short, I will prefer to work in my homeland.

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.

If more is less, is less more?

Keiko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
kid Male

#14 Old 23-05-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

if i have d chances for a good life over c,, witout thinking twice, i would definitely grab dat chances.. especially in country colder than m'sia, hahaha., bcos most malaysians make me lost my patriotism soul., hahahaha

#15 Old 07-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

To Malaysians working or studying abroad, please share with us the impact of the following factors that may influence your decision to come back or not to come back to work or stay in Malaysia:
1. salary
2. career path
3. training opportunities
4. promotion opportunities
5. professional support
6. lifestyle
7. family tie
8. food
9. status of the Malaysian society
10. NEP
11. housing
12. transport
13. recreation
14. your next generation's education burden and needs
15. perception of Malaysia's future in the region and the world
16. perception of your standing in Malaysia (e.g., second class citizen, discriminated by current practices in the country, etc.)

#16 Old 07-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

if given option, i think overseas would be better and the country depends on what sector you are working in. if you are career oriented and want to make it big, then overseas is your choice. most of the multinational company have their headquarters overseas.working there would boost your chances of climbing the corporate ladder. if you are more family oriented then malaysia will be a good place because work is not that stressful*. the education is decent and the tax is low. its a good place to retire and enjoy watever saving you have had because the cost of living is quite cheap. and in terms of morality , malaysia is not as bad as the usa or eu. so it comes down to a person needs.

*not all job sectors
mehul91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#17 Old 07-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athersin View Post
To Malaysians working or studying abroad, please share with us the impact of the following factors that may influence your decision to come back or not to come back to work or stay in Malaysia:
1. salary
2. career path
5. professional support
6. lifestyle
7. family tie
8. food
10. NEP
11. housing
12. transport
13. recreation
16. perception of your standing in Malaysia (e.g., second class citizen, discriminated by current practices in the country, etc.)
Hmm.. I'll be in Australia for at least another 6 years so I'll give this a shot.

1. Salary
I guess this is an important factor. I'm not interested in a sky-high salary, just one which is reflective of my sacrifices, educational background and work ethic. As a fresh doctor, the salary in Malaysia is pretty mediocre so I'll think about it.

2. Career Path
No comment.

3. Training Opportunities
This irks me a bit. Entry into medical specialty training in Malaysia is biased towards Bumiputeras so it's definitely a deterrent.

4. Promotion Opportunities
Pretty crap in the public sector but decent in the private sector.

5. Professional Support
Not good. There is a lack of support and fresh grads are expected to fend for themselves. It's not exactly a bad thing since it helps to encourage good working habits but some degree of support is still required.

6. Lifestyle
By far the biggest factor. Medical practitioners in Malaysia are grossly overworked, especially in their initial years. This, coupled with low compensation is probably influential factor in deciding if I return home or stay put.

7. Family Tie
If I ever decide to return, it would be because of this. My comfort zone is in Malaysia and it's always a plus to have friends and family around.

8. Food
Oh yes, another major plus. I'd definitely be lured back by the food.

9. Status of Malaysian society
I guess doctors are accepted everywhere so it doesn't really matter.

10. NEP
Major no no. NEP is probably one of the biggest factors which drive many talented individuals away from Malaysia. Where there is opportunity, there is talent. NEP pretty much censors opportunity in every aspect.

11. Housing
No comment.

12. Transport
No comment, athough better public transport would be desirable.

13. Recreation
No comment.

14. Next Generation's Needs.
Major turnoff here too, especially in education. Malaysian universities look at skin before ability and that's never welcomed. Plus, local universities aren't exactly the best places to study.

15. Perception Of Malaysia In The Future.
Admittedly, at this rate Malaysia would be a global laughing stock but I don't think it's that big a deal if the country is run properly.

16. Perception Of Your Standing In Malaysia.
As long as the discrimination and racism doesn't get too extreme, I don't really care about perception.
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#18 Old 07-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

My comments are in bold. I will be speaking from the perspective of working in a law firm overseas and in Malaysia. This is a hopefully unbiased account of any "pros and cons" I can think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athersin View Post
1. salary
I will no doubt get higher pay [several times higher] if I were to work in the UK as opposed to Malaysia and it's true that Malaysian lawyers in general are underpaid [starting salary is a disappointment compared to what you can get in a London firm] BUT it's still a bit higher compared to a lot of entry-level jobs. Also, there are high taxes to pay in the UK.
2. career path

I don't think I will have problems getting training opportunities in Malaysia; all I have to do to get an internship is to just ask, but getting a similar internship in the UK will be really tough since I'm a foreigner and the firms tend to assume that I'll be going back to my home country at the end of my course. There is tight competition in getting internships in the London law firms.
I'm not sure if working in the UK will let me progress through the career ladder faster than working in Malaysia. Either way, the lawyers in UK and Malaysia work differently; there's a separate system altogether so that perhaps might be a case of comparing apples and oranges.
5. professional support
Er I'm not sure how that's supposed to be a factor. Clarify maybe? =)
6. lifestyle
I like the lifestyle of a metropolitan city and while London is fantastically awesome in that respect, KL isn't quite that shabby either [well, depending on which parts of KL-lah].
7. family tie
Yeah, there's the whole "family back in Malaysia" issue.
8. food
This is a toughie. Malaysian food is awesome, but there are now places in London that offer really authentic Malaysian food [personally tried and tested!] so it probably isn't too much of a loss. Given the fact that I will be earning high wages assuming that I am working in London, a meal in a Malaysian restaurant wouldn't be that costly should I ever get any nasi lemak cravings. On the other hand, back in Malaysia, the relatively weaker purchasing power of the RM would mean that I would be in trouble when I start getting salmon withdrawal syndromes. I also really love English/western food, so in this case both sides even out.
Not sure what you mean by this?
10. NEP
I'm not sure if this is very relevant in my field, but on a side note I chatted with some of the senior associates of a majority-Malay law firm [Malays who speak fluent English], and they are some of the most committed, brilliant and professional people I have ever met. The level at where I'll be working will probably see only the cream of the crop in the job since meritocracy prevails, so I probably won't have any problems with "racial unfairness".
11. housing
It'd probably take me a lot longer to save up for my dream apartment [think Pavilion Residences ;)] with a Malaysian salary, as opposed to getting a good place in a swanky location in London while working in a "magic circle" firm in London.
12. transport
It'd be pretty mean of me to compare the London underground tube with our KTM, but maybe in several years time we'd have better public transport? =( And yeah, I would be relying on public transport a fair bit since getting a car at such an early stage wouldn't be wise.
13. recreation
I can have all the recreation I want in both countries/cities.
Good point there. Tertiary education I'll definitely send them abroad, but otherwise they'll benefit just as well with a local education IMO. Not sure about what I'd do if I was in London.
Eh, we do have some promising fields we are going into [Islamic banking is a very good example]. If you work in an MNC you might get the chance to transfer to their international offices. =) Who knows?
Frankly speaking, in the corporate/business world where the people you work with frequently take home a five-figure salary every month, everyone's too busy getting their work done, meeting clients, scoring contracts and making even more big bucks to notice your race. And like I said, when you're working at such a top level, meritocracy actually prevails since it's a dog-eat-dog world without "protective policies", so to speak.

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#19 Old 07-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehul91 View Post
if given option, i think overseas would be better and the country depends on what sector you are working in. if you are career oriented and want to make it big, then overseas is your choice. most of the multinational company have their headquarters overseas.working there would boost your chances of climbing the corporate ladder. if you are more family oriented then malaysia will be a good place because work is not that stressful*. the education is decent and the tax is low. its a good place to retire and enjoy watever saving you have had because the cost of living is quite cheap. and in terms of morality , malaysia is not as bad as the usa or eu. so it comes down to a person needs.

*not all job sectors
Work is not that stressful in Malaysia? I hope you're joking because every working adult I know in Malaysia says they work so much that they don't have much of a life left. Here in Australia, everyone's so bloody slack. There's no hurry, no stress, no pressure, nothing. It's seriously the land of milk and honey.

The cost of living is rising rapidly. Inflation is higher than before, commodities are pricey, cars cost more than houses and don't even let me get started with the petrol.

What do you mean by morality? Are you referring to how the media portrays Western countries? Sex, guns and drugs? I assure you, people in Australia, US or Europe aren't all like that. They're friendly, nice and pleasant. Sure, they're more open and people here get drunk more often and sure, maybe they start sex a bit earlier but that does not mean they have don't have a moral compass. Look at Malaysia: crime is rampant; people get raped, handbags get snatched and Mat Rempits rule the streets. Don't even get me started on corruption. Dear Lord. If you say Malaysians are conservative, that's just the superficial side of it. Prostitution, while illegal is rampant and you'll see drunkards on the streets just like you will see them in Western countries. The statement that Western countries 'have no moral bearings' is just propaganda by our government. We're as bad, if not worse when it comes to morality.

#20 Old 07-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
Work is not that stressful in Malaysia? I hope you're joking because every working adult I know in Malaysia says they work so much that they don't have much of a life left. Here in Australia, everyone's so bloody slack. There's no hurry, no stress, no pressure, nothing. It's seriously the land of milk and honey.

The cost of living is rising rapidly. Inflation is higher than before, commodities are pricey, cars cost more than houses and don't even let me get started with the petrol.

What do you mean by morality? Are you referring to how the media portrays Western countries? Sex, guns and drugs? I assure you, people in Australia, US or Europe aren't all like that. They're friendly, nice and pleasant. Sure, they're more open and people here get drunk more often and sure, maybe they start sex a bit earlier but that does not mean they have don't have a moral compass. Look at Malaysia: crime is rampant; people get raped, handbags get snatched and Mat Rempits rule the streets. Don't even get me started on corruption. Dear Lord. If you say Malaysians are conservative, that's just the superficial side of it. Prostitution, while illegal is rampant and you'll see drunkards on the streets just like you will see them in Western countries. The statement that Western countries 'have no moral bearings' is just propaganda by our government. We're as bad, if not worse when it comes to morality.
first of all, stress depends on people. some can cope more, some less.

tell me a place where you can eat lunch and dinner in RM 5. can you eat lunch and dinner in USD 5.of course not.and no doubt inflation is rising, but tell me where it isnt rising. everywhere is the same. you may argue our currency is weak, but in other country basic commodities is way expensive. petrol price in USA is higher than us.

and morality, is not what you only see outside. in uk and usa, teen pregnancy is on the rise. did you read in thesun, a 12 year old kid, if i'm not mistaken is a FATHER!!!!!!!!! and he says i'll tc of my son well. is this a joke. cant even tc of himself. but i have to agree with you on the point that morality in malaysia is not very good oso.

thats why i still prefer overseas. but hey one thing about malaysia, you know for sure that a bomb will not blast here or an airplane wont crash the klcc....cheers
mehul91 is offline   Reply With Quote