ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Melzie Female
Less Junior Member

#41 Old 09-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Yes. I'd work in Malaysia. I was born, raised, and educated here. It is where I belong.

My family is here. My real friends are here. Everyone I love is here.

To give up all those people who love me as much (or perhaps even more) as I love them for money is not worth it.

Plus, I wanna serve my government. I believe everyone deserves a second chance. And that includes Malaysia.

Melzie is offline   Reply With Quote
luminodreamer89

#42 Old 09-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

I agree with Young, in terms of quoting a better comparison.

Malaysia, as a developing country, we have managed to build magnificent skyscraper like Petronas Twin Tower, world-class Sepang F1 circuit, and hosted many significant world conferences like NAM and OIC, as well as being the host for the 16th Commonwealth Game in 1998.

So, by reading the examples above, we can say that, our country is obviously better than many others Third World Countries which are impoverished and under-developed. Therefore, to compare with them, is not a good way to improve ourselves. The countries we should compare, or more precisely speaking, observe would be Japan, Singapore, India and China. (or maybe Vietnam)

It's just the same as an excellent student who always wants to get admitted into some prestigious universities in the world, rather than going for our local public universities which are constantly sliding between 200-400.

Japan, which was almost destroyed in WW2 by the atomic bomb, not to mentioned many of its citizens are born handicapped due to the radiations. But, in about 50 years' time, we can see how its education system has evolved, by having the arguably toughest entrance exam in the world. Japan is so advanced in its science and technology. But, Japan is ranked in top 5 of having the highest suicide percentage due to high stress levels.

Singapore, our twins. Separated in 1965. Started from scratch, yet we can see how Lee Kuan Yew brings up Singapore to be a well-respected and renowned small island. Both NUS and NTU made it into top 100, with 30 and 70 respectively in THES-QS ranking table. Singapore, with little natural resources, able to excel tremendously in economy and education. However, due to the elitism mentality and the high stress levels, we can read from the newspapers that most of the professionals are acting wild and uncontrollable at times. And politics, in the near future, I dont think PAP will lose. lol.

For China and India, their GDPs are growing gradually depsite the financial slump. And, in terms of education and economy, again they are the leaders in Asian region, if not the world. However, the gap between the rich and the poor is still so wide, and this is not a good sign if they are to come up with a stable society.

In conclusion, we should always be grateful that we are born in this country. Three majority races and the minorities in East Malaysia, with so many local scrumptious delicacies, with an abundance of cultural heritages and of course with a colourful history.

While for the racial discrimination, Malay superiority mentality (Ketuanan Melayu) by some right-wing Malays, it is for us, the younger generation to change. It's obviously hard. That's why we should study abroad, learn how a good democratic nation is being administered and gain the knowledge required to help our nation. And, contribute what we have learnt to our government.

In this forum, I have seen many Malays are well aware of what is happening in our country. And, the Chinese, Indian and other minorities are willing to forgive and come back to serve the country.

I know, I am being simply idealistic, to form a Utopia. But, remember all things are started off with a little dream.
digimushu Male
Prototyper

#43 Old 09-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Yes, there are a lot of us professionals outside Malaysia. A lot of us worked our way up the food chain, from working at cafeterias, being janitors, etc. Many of us appreciate the opportunities that we get outside, and the appreciation for the work that we do in our field from our peers. If we return home, there is almost no recognition of the work that we have done in our area.

Sadly, none of the achievements that Malaysia has is of its own citizens. We have no world class contractor that can build the Twin Towers (they are built by Koreans and Japanese), and we certainly are not capable of building the KLIA ourselves. The Bakun Dam, which is contracted to a local firm, fails to materialize because of various reasons. Need I say more? It seems that we are so afraid of our own failure that we do not even try anymore.

We crave for recognition, yet we do not aspire to be the best of what we are. We hope that others will do all the work and we can reap what others have sought. This is the wrong mentality. We should aspire to be the best, to do our best, even in the most challenging situation. When we first try to walk, we fall down, and get up. When we first try to run, we scrape our knee as we slip and fell. Each failure leaves a reminder of how we learn, and hopefully the lessons learned.

Let me share some lessons from the auto industry...

Failure, the secret to success.

Kick out the ladder.

I wish that Malaysians can see beyond their pride of their own achievements, and aspire to be better. There is always "better". Only when you are the best, then the only competition you will have is yourself..

Of course, there will be other things that dictate whether someone returns or not, but at the end of the day, we do what is the best for ourselves. Afterall, wasn't that why our ancestors came to Malaysia from China, India, etc?
The Following User Says Thank You to digimushu For This Useful Post:
Athersin

#44 Old 09-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Our education system has chugged along over the past 40 years on "auto-pilot" mode. Problem is, its a 40 year old plane that has no auto-pilot capability! If we go on this way, there is only one direction it will go to. Some people have bailed out into private schools, learning centers and homeschooling.

On the surface there are just too many problems. I think, the real problem is leadership or lack of it! With occasional policy speeches and grand launching of policies, politicians and businesses taking the opportunity of providing products & services to the schools, nothing is really happening.

We need decisive and knowledgeable leadership who can engage all stake holders, not provide mere lip-service!

We need leadership that know and can formulate policies in line with global economic, technological and social development. Having said this, a deep rethinking of schools needs to be done. Like learning, we need to go beyond the limitations of our minds. Education need to go beyond schools.

If there are thses changes that happen in Malaysia, i guess i would be the first one to proclaim the joy of studying and working in malaysia!
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#45 Old 09-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Hi Athersin, while we welcome quoted text from external sources, please kindly cite the source when you do so.

I am providing the original source in your case:
http://educationmalaysia.blogspot.co...44466577102093

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by youngyew; 09-06-2009 at 03:42 PM.
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
frankchong

#46 Old 10-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

My goal here is not to tell you to be unpatrotic or to abandon Malaysia. As a Malaysian, I owe it to you that I share some of what I have seen with you. It is part of our history (or personal history), if we can not be honest about it and discuss rationally, the problem will never be solved.
I had my dreams of going back to Malaysia with my skills and experience, and a few of us had gone back (and then left). However, what we found is not a very welcoming environment or an environment not conducive to attract talent. We can not do it ourselves, we need to create critical mass. Let take specific example, wafer fab., it is a big investment and intensely talent based, even we had attracted foreign talent in the beginning, most of them left after a few years, seeing that their kids' education are compromised. Can you really expect someone doing well in their own country and profession, becoming a second class citizen in another country?
Some of you may say, we are better than most countries, the fact is that you want the best product for your money, it is the same for most people. So, unless you can make the best products, your market is severely limitted, just look at the financial performance of Intel and AMD. So, if you are thinking of k-economy, you have to aim to be the best in the product segment you want to be in. This is what Digimushu and a lot of us are facing. We have to be honest and be critical of ourselves when we approach these problems. However, after we have acquired those traits, we found that our mind sets are too different from those at home, we do not fit in anymore!
There are people who said those working outside are unpatrotic, lets take a closer look. I have contributed to Malaysia because part of the products I (and others) created end up manufactured in Malaysia and other parts of SEA. A number of years ago, a MNC looking for an Asian site was choosing between Malaysia, Vietnam and China. I recommended Malaysia and tolding them the reason why they should choose Malaysia, got them in touch with the right people and they have been there for a number of years now. You can help Malaysia in many different ways, not necessary by staying home.
A number of years ago, after the 1998 anti Chinese riot in Indonesia, politicians reminded people to be grateful and look at what happen else where -- it is the job of the government to protect the legal right of individuals, isn't it ? Does it meant that if I didn't vote for you you would burn my house? Look at Obama'a call, I need your help, together we can change the country and the world. I can not do it alone. In the midst of the worst economic crisis, I felt compelled to do my part.
If you want to be recognized for your talent and hard work, you have to be in places where your talent and hard work counts. In places where most of the riches come of posession of political power and natural resources, talent is less important. Nice things may be said, but at the end of the day, we are still the outsiders. There are ways to make money in Malaysia, and it is a lot easier than working outside, if you can get into the system and go in bed with the right people (please do not take this literally!).
Are there roles, where Malaysia can play a significant role? Definately, but we have to be very careful on what we choose, get the right partner to crate critical mass and develop the talent needed. However, on products that have a world market, high technical content, we have to be really careful on what we pick and the role we can play successfully.
As Digimushu has said, we are too focus on showmanship, not the substance. I remember when I visited Standford electronic research labs in early 80s, those were very old buildings, but they did first class work. You can say of the old radiations labs in MIT. We I visited the Summer Palace in Beijing a number of years ago, I was not proud of the place as an ethnic Chinese. It was built with Chinese Navy fund, instead of building up the navy, it was diverted to celebrate empress Dowager's birthday! The consequence, China lost the war with Japan (before WW1), and other wars continued. When I visied KL and Putrajaya, I had the same feeling, instead of feeling proud, I felt sad, I would rather see the fund used to develop top rated universities and research centers in Malaysia. We need human capital more than the physical show and tell. However, it is easier to take profit from a physical real estate project than developing talent.
The difference is that some go through this world try to grap everything possible, claim what others have done as their own, others, even acquired wealth by bringing products to society, donated most of their wealth to benefit humanity. Which would you respect and which one you would rather be?
We all come empty handed and would go empty handed, What we think we have is not ours permanently, I have decided to make use of my talent and hardwork to play my role while I am here, not acquiring wealth by conquering others or take posession of what belongs to everyone. Iy is not the easiest or lucrative way, but it is meaningful. Hope I leave this world a better place for future generations.

regards,
Frank Chong
frankchong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frankchong For This Useful Post:
louis8_8wang Male
Less Junior Member

#47 Old 10-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Hot topic and controversial issue. In my opinion, it really depends on the person himself. Some of them feel hard to suit themselves to the circumstances oversea. On the other hands, some people have spend several years in that country to pursue their studies.
In this case, I cannot give you a definite answer. I believe that most probably I will stay in the country which I will have graduated.

I have several reasons to support my stand. Firstly, I will have higher chance to continue my postgraduate studies. Secondly, I already suit myself and mix around well there. Besides, I'm not sure that I can secure a sit as well if I come back. Finally, I'm still love my country although I'm not stand on that land.

Last edited by louis8_8wang; 10-06-2009 at 10:10 AM.
louis8_8wang is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#48 Old 10-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jianyi_crystal View Post
but honestly, our country did not do much research, my ambition is become a biological researcher, i am also start to feel headache now. why our country doesn't develop in research. i think because of government don't no interest in this field, they only depend of others country research and others country profession, it is quiet irrational. why they do believe on their own citizen since we are here? why they can't spend their money for our own research? we are not on demand here, so how we want to stay here?

if i want to go aboard this is the only reason, the country don't need us. but it is unfair to compere at the finance aspect or somethings else, because this is our country, we should accept it. if we own do not love our country, who else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
It is true that we have many professionals here but the reason why they leave isn't because there's an excess of professionals. Instead, most of those who migrate are highly trained individuals who are not remunerated accordingly. They leave because Malaysia is unable to provide them with the opportunities and challenges worthy of their capabilities.

About "this profession seem useless to the nation", hah! Please get your facts straight. Many migrants are highly trained doctors, accountants, engineers, lawyers, business people and the likes. What makes you think they're 'useless' to Malaysia? Please do not make such sweeping statements.

And may I ask why is it unfair to compare?
Well, I am taking a course in which there aren't many job opportunities in Malaysia. If I am not working in Malaysia afterwards this will be the reason why... Malaysia lacks the opportunity to give to professionals of many many emerging and strongly rising sectors... As far as I know, as long as I am jobless, I am useless to the nation...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
Athersin

#49 Old 10-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseehua View Post
Well, I am taking a course in which there aren't many job opportunities in Malaysia. If I am not working in Malaysia afterwards this will be the reason why... Malaysia lacks the opportunity to give to professionals of many many emerging and strongly rising sectors... As far as I know, as long as I am jobless, I am useless to the nation...
What is the course that u take ? as far as i am concerned , malaysia is lagging behind in research area doesn't mean it will continue so in next few years.
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#50 Old 10-06-2009 Default Re: Given a choice, would you work in Malaysia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchong View Post
There are people who said those working outside are unpatrotic, lets take a closer look. I have contributed to Malaysia because part of the products I (and others) created end up manufactured in Malaysia and other parts of SEA. A number of years ago, a MNC looking for an Asian site was choosing between Malaysia, Vietnam and China. I recommended Malaysia and tolding them the reason why they should choose Malaysia, got them in touch with the right people and they have been there for a number of years now. You can help Malaysia in many different ways, not necessary by staying home.
Outright the best stuff I have read today.

youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote