ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#11 Old 13-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmx View Post
Sure will be working hard for this.Got to.No point landing a scholarship if we just let it go to waste.TQ chen chow for all the tips & also the training.I'll be there..
Have added more resources at here . Now, got 60+ resources already.

breakmx, do sign up via usapps2009 AT gmail DOT com , providing your name, email address, current preparatory program/high school, year of SPM , to reserve your spot.

Yes. Do work very hard. If any of you come across more good resources, do post it here, and I'll update into the page.
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
breakmx Male
Super Junior Member

#12 Old 13-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenchow View Post
Have added more resources at here . Now, got 60+ resources already.

breakmx, do sign up via usapps2009 AT gmail DOT com , providing your name, email address, current preparatory program/high school, year of SPM , to reserve your spot.

Yes. Do work very hard. If any of you come across more good resources, do post it here, and I'll update into the page.
Yeap.I already have emailed to reserve my spot.Payment can be done on that day right?

The latter statement is FALSE.The former statement is TRUE.
breakmx is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#13 Old 13-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmx View Post
Yeap.I already have emailed to reserve my spot.Payment can be done on that day right?
On the day 1.
njkian Male
Super Junior Member

#14 Old 13-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenchow View Post
It will be nominal fee of RM25 for the entire 3 days of workshop. Do just pay on that day. Do reserve your spot (following the instruction in the website).

About 50% of the seats have been reserved as of now.
huh? how to reserve ?
on which website ?
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
njkian is offline   Reply With Quote
gman Male

#15 Old 13-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkian View Post
huh? how to reserve ?
on which website ?
i believe that chenchow mentioned it just a few posts ago. refer to post no.11. you can also click on the link at chenchow's signature about the US application workshop to find out more.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gman For This Useful Post:
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#16 Old 13-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

A quick way to start practice for your SAT Reasoning Test could be Free Rice . It would hopefully be able to improve a bit of your vocabulary. Do read the vocabulary from [url=www.freevocabulary.com] Free Vocabulary.com [url] too.
Gabrielle90
Slightly Senior Member

#17 Old 13-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Here's a link of SAT vocabulary word list, you can try to take a look.

http://www.satvocab.com/vocabulary-l...-gre-wordlist/
Gabrielle90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabrielle90 For This Useful Post:
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#18 Old 13-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

gabrielle90, thanks for the link. Have included into here .

In fact, I would recommend you all to go through the word lists in http://www.satvocab.com . The main page there has links to thousands of words. The ones gabrielle90 highlighted are the more popular words based on Kaplan's and Barron's list.

-----

A few things that I wish to convey to you all who are applying.

--> Don't look for short cut. I have gotten too many of this kind of questions from students that ask, "Can I take 2 subjects for SAT Subject Tests?", "any other short cut?" My response would be that don't look for short cut. Go through the process and work through it. It is not about finding the easiest way to get into your dream university, but work as hard as possible, and eventually impress the admission office.

--> The number of A1s in SPM means practically nothing. So, don't still stay in your glory of your string of As in SPM.

--> Your prefect role, president of clubs in school, essentially does not mean much in your applications. There will be Olympic Medalists and people who have done stuff at international level fighting against you for admission. So, do strive beyond your high school.

--> Do take proactive initiative. I have heard from quite a few. "Can you summarize for me what I should do? The documents are too long. I lazy to read." If you are not willing to put in the efforts, you won't make it.

--> Take responsibility for your preparation. No more such kind of mentality that "I haven't started my preparatory program. Teachers not yet teach. So, I will wait for them to teach. Will they finish the SAT syllabus?". Again, you need to study on your own and take responsibility for it. The preparatory program would try their best to help you, but you need to help yourself to work hard.

Last edited by chenchow; 13-06-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Gabrielle90
Slightly Senior Member

#19 Old 14-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

How much extra curriculum weigh in the application? I mean i am not olympic medalist, not even participate in international competition. So... ...
Gabrielle90 is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#20 Old 14-06-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle90 View Post
How much extra curriculum weigh in the application? I mean i am not olympic medalist, not even participate in international competition. So... ...
It is on overall package that they evaluate you on. So, it really depends on what kind of strength you are trying to sell yourself on.

So, there is no specific weightage for any of the aspect. Essentially, of all applicants, they want to choose the suitable ones.