ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

yeejietang Male
Super Junior Member

#61 Old 20-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

big football dudes will not crush your ass unless you come asking for it. and anyway that's just a stereotype that isn't always true. there are lots of different types of frats/sororities. and it's not a must to join one anyway.

and i don't think you need to worry about the preliminary application. what really counts is the main app (common app), so work on that now.
Less Junior Member

#62 Old 20-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeejietang View Post
big football dudes will not crush your ass unless you come asking for it. and anyway that's just a stereotype that isn't always true. there are lots of different types of frats/sororities. and it's not a must to join one anyway.

and i don't think you need to worry about the preliminary application. what really counts is the main app (common app), so work on that now.
so why do these things exist and why do people want to be in them?

Everyone talks about the application nitty gritty, but how different is the culture there and how do I find a school that fits me to apply to?
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
gman Male

#63 Old 21-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

fraternities and sororities exist for a variety of purposes. some of them are actually dedicated to community service while some are actually academic. of course, you will have those that are created for mainly enjoyment...

well, i don't know whether this is good advice, but i believe that if you want to find a school that fits you, you would have to do a lot of research about that school. things that you could look out for include the general atmosphere of the university, the way the university conducts academic matters, the size and the location of the university and certain things that are unique to the university. some of this information can be obtained through google searches. you may also ask current and former students of that university to get their points of view as well.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
bert Male
Less Junior Member

#64 Old 22-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Yeah I agree about the information part. I have read Fiske Guides, Princeton Reviews, Loren Pope's books, michelle hernandez's books, but it is often hard to comprehend what they are saying right? Like if I told you that classes are taught by TAs vs classes are taught by professors, what does that mean to regular malaysians? or that this school is liberal vs conservative? what the heck does that mean to a malaysian student?

I feel that often times people are too focused on whether the major is ranked the best or whatever or the ranking of the school, without actually considering whether they would be happy there, or will they fit in, or whether they are okay about not fitting in. I think these are some very pertinent questions to ask, and should be considered by ppl seeking admission this year.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
yeejietang Male
Super Junior Member

#65 Old 22-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

i agree that it's not always easy to comprehend what they say in the books, but don't you think certain obvious questions can be answered by yourself with a little bit of initiative? after all, you are applying to study there. we did our fair share of research too.

correct me if i'm wrong but you're asking about how being in a class taught by a TA would be different from a class taught by a professor right? i think it's best to email those of us who're here your specific questions so that we can give you more detailed answers. if you still can't find answers to the basic questions, maybe you're looking at the wrong places. anyway, there are also a lot of online sources that are very generous, informative and personal. books can only tell you so much but personal feedback from students are sometimes better if you want to know the kind of student life to expect.

very good point about choosing universities you made there. glad to know you're doing your research. but do ask personally from those currently studying/alumni about student life because i believe you can't get an accurate picture if you only read from the books.
Super Junior Member

#66 Old 22-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Do I need to attach my CV when I email the admission office the application fee waiver letter? Which documents should I attach?
emily_5120 is offline   Reply With Quote
WiNGLeSs_anGeL31 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#67 Old 22-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Yeah I agree about the information part. I have read Fiske Guides, Princeton Reviews, Loren Pope's books, michelle hernandez's books, but it is often hard to comprehend what they are saying right? Like if I told you that classes are taught by TAs vs classes are taught by professors, what does that mean to regular malaysians? or that this school is liberal vs conservative? what the heck does that mean to a malaysian student?

I feel that often times people are too focused on whether the major is ranked the best or whatever or the ranking of the school, without actually considering whether they would be happy there, or will they fit in, or whether they are okay about not fitting in. I think these are some very pertinent questions to ask, and should be considered by ppl seeking admission this year.
if you have a question, ask here.
if you have a comment about how people ask questions and what questions people ask [i refrain from using the word 'advice', for i know not your background and position], i wonder if this thread is the place for it - especially since you're not the one answering people's questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily_5120 View Post
Do I need to attach my CV when I email the admission office the application fee waiver letter? Which documents should I attach?
N.E.V.E.R...E.M.A.I.L.
N-E-V-E-R, NOT WHEN IT'S SOMETHING AS IMPORTANT AS COLLEGE APPLICATION FORMS.

YOUR FEE WAIVER REQUIRES SIGNATURES. MAYBE ONLY YOUR COUNSELOR'S SIGNATURE. BUT SIGNED FORMS ARE LEGALLY VOID IF YOU SCAN/FAX/EMAIL THEM. MAIL THE HARD COPY, PERIOD.

and thing is, if you mail in your fee waiver with everything else, then definitely you'll need to attach everything.
if you're mailing in your fee waiver as a separate document, it is possible that you can just send it on its own. make sure that the college knows who the fee waiver is for, why you need a fee waiver, and the extent of which you need it. in other words, write the letter properly, and you're mostly fine. some colleges require the college board international financial aid supplement in order to grant fee waivers, and you would be wise to comply if that were needed.

*author does not claim extensive knowledge and cannot defend his claims on the legal process

People, people. If you wanna discuss something, please make sure you make, speak, and type refined sense. Everyone else, remember:

Last edited by WiNGLeSs_anGeL31; 22-10-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
WiNGLeSs_anGeL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WiNGLeSs_anGeL31 For This Useful Post:
emily_5120 Female
Super Junior Member

#68 Old 22-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

One more question. When should I mail the application fee waiver letter? Is it as soon as possible? Or need to attach with the other documents needed for the admission purpose?
emily_5120 is offline   Reply With Quote
yeejietang Male
Super Junior Member

#69 Old 22-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily_5120 View Post
One more question. When should I mail the application fee waiver letter? Is it as soon as possible? Or need to attach with the other documents needed for the admission purpose?
placed in an envelope along with your other forms that needs to be mailed. then select the right option for payment when submitting the online part of common app.
Slightly Senior Member

#70 Old 23-10-2009 Default Re: Towards US Universities Admission Fall (Aug/Sep) 2010

How to include our MUET? As additional info or include in MYR?
Gabrielle90 is offline   Reply With Quote