ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#21 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminodreamer89 View Post
My opinion is : Math and Science are ought to be taught in mother tongues in primary education (Primary 1-Primary 6). Then, English should be the medium of teachings for Math and Science in secondary education (Secondary 1-Secondary 5). It will be easier for the students when they enter pre-u and university education.
Between primary school and secondary school then there will be a switch. Why bother switching the medium of instruction during the transition? Wouldn't we be doing double-work to explain things that are already understood actually, albeit in another language?

Whatever it is, I do not condone the government's action of playing around with the education system. It's like fiddling with with our schoolchildren's learning process. Today they study "sodium chloride, silver nitrate are ionic compounds"; tomorrow they study "natrium klorida, argentum nitrat ialah sebatian ion".

I really wonder if they are going to teach Information Technology in Bahasa Malaysia as well. If that is the case, they are reverting to my days when "motherboard, joystick, RAM (Random Access Memory) and ROM (Read-only Memory)" are known as "papan ibu (or papan induk), kayu ria (not batang gembira), Ingatan Capaian Rawak, dan Ingatan Baca Sahaja".

"Network Interface Card"? Well, I studied it as "Kad Antaramuka Rangkaian".

Luckily they didn't come out with the BM-equivalent term for "plug-and-play". "Cucuk dan main"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce_limyp View Post
?Only 19.2% of secondary teachers and 9.96% of primary teachers were sufficiently proficient in English,? he said, explaining the Government?s decision to revert to the old system.
*SARCASM BEGINS*
Statistics... statistics... statistics... I want to know how he got his figures. I can just go up there and say 69.8% of our secondary teachers and 65.6% of our primary teachers are sufficiently proficient in English. Is the media going to question my findings if I say "based on the survey conducted" or something like that? Figures... who can't yak a particular figure out? I do that the best; they come in handy during debates. Just crap out a figure and the adjudicators give you a point. Better still, go say it's one "Professor McKinley from the University of Brooklyn" who came out with the figures and people would just shut up. BAH!
*SARCASM ENDS*

If the number of teachers who are proficient in English are absurdly that few, then why does the Government still refuse to offer interested students to do TESL, and instead give them some asinine course to do?

And can our English passing rate be that high then? They claim they have so few English teachers and yet the English passing rate for SPM is so high.

*SHORT SARCASM BEGINS*
Oh yeah! I should know better: it's just 10% to pass, isn't it?
*SHORT SARCASM ENDS*

La pathetique.
way Male
Super Junior Member

#22 Old 09-07-2009 Thumbs down Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

besides that,eventhough the perfomance of ,math and science drop,it does'nt mean mean that ppsmi is the problem,even if tats the problem,student's should learn it earlier,because thats wat they gonna face it in the future,how come they just change it back????
notrust

Last edited by way; 09-07-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
way is offline   Reply With Quote
clon12 Male
Super Junior Member

#23 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

This has certainly made an issue to a lot of students, not to mention parents as well. If I'm not wrong, Science and Mathematics was ONCE taught in BM. Then, it was changed to English which is now. Why bothering to change it again to BM since all students finally adapted the languages of Science and Maths? Like what henry_yew said, we learn all forms of scientific names in English, but later on our juniors have to RELEARN it in BM? This will definitely causes burdens to those who are not intelligent enough.

For them, they can just change it easily. For us, we have to adapt a whole new system. Since sooner or later we will learn Science and Mathematics in English at college/university, why changing it? For instance, if our country was chosen to be in Science competition from other countries like England. Use "karbon dioksida"? "oksigen"? "hydrochloric acid pekat"? They will just say Malaysian standard is VERY low as it is now. Why not improving it step by step other than changing it to BM?

If a student learned Science and Mathematics in English from Form 1 to Form 3 and have to revert to BM in Form 4, what will they feel? F88ked up? And they can't score for Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Maths in SPM. This will certainly made the straight A's in our country drop. Government will just close one eye open another one.

I've read The Stars today, and I'm not surprised to see parents MIGHT send their children to Singapore to learn Science and Maths in English. Obviously we can see how big is the impact of changing English to BM.
clon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
luminodreamer89

#24 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
Between primary school and secondary school then there will be a switch. Why bother switching the medium of instruction during the transition? Wouldn't we be doing double-work to explain things that are already understood actually, albeit in another language?
Actually, there are researches being done over the years on learning math and science in the students' mother tongues will yield a better understanding and result. However, right now I am unable to provide the statistics.

And, in my opinion, I believe this approach will be a better one, for the majority, as compared to the other two options, A: English medium for Math and Science; B: Mother tongues for Primary, and BM for Secondary.

Reasons being, if Chinese and Tamil are replaced by English in Primary level, how about those students which are from Mandarin or Tamil-speaking family? And, speaking from a student who is from Chinese Primary and Chinese-majority Secondary, I have to agree that a small percentage of this policy is dedicated to diminish Chinese Education in Malaysia. Secondly, as mentioned above, the students will be able to have an easier and more comfortable grasp on the Math and Science concepts, due to the familiarity towards their own language. Thirdly, as mentioned on The Star, the incompetency in English of most teachers.

If we opt for Method A, only the English-speaking families, regardless of races, will get the benefits. If we go for Method B, it is a total reversion of the whole policy. This is certainly a waste of time and money. How are we going to take care of the textbooks, workbooks and any references on the market? Plus, Form 4 is the most important transition from lower secondary to upper secondary, and how can we expect a student to switch from English to BM, and then after form 5, switch back to English again?

And, today we can read from the newspapers that, GAPENA is still not going to be satisfied with the policy change. They are going to fight for the usage of BM in pre-u and university level. (Jaguh Kampung!)

In conclusion, the government never thinks carefully before implementing any new policies. This kind of attitude will certainly bring adverse effects to our younger generations.
Super Junior Member

#25 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

I honestly think this is a BAD BAD move.
I mean how are the students going to cope once they are in universities later?
I thought that our Education Minister would do some good when he was given this post.
But the fact is...he made it worst.
Kimayu is offline   Reply With Quote
choronic Female
Super Junior Member

#26 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: PPSMI in BM year 2012

IS there any petition to show our disagreement with this new policy! I can't bliv this. We are seriously moving one step back! WHY WHY WHY!!!I really hope there will b something that is done to curb this issue!!unbelievable!!!!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
choronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Al-Bert

#27 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: PPSMI in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawteoh View Post
So, if I am not mistaken, with this new system, Form 1 pupils next year will still be learning in English until PMR (2012) and then in Form 4, they revert to BM? Just want somebody to clarify this..
The bilingual exam papers for science and mathematics would be available until year 2014.

In my understanding , majority of Malaysian prefer the teaching of Maths and Science in their mother tongues. So I believe government has made such move under the public pressure.

#28 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

i believe this is done to garner support for the next general election. They are just playing with the life of our future generation. Well its in our advantage (ppl who speak english). As we will have less competition in securing good positions in mnc. As a whole its bad for the future.
mehul91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor

#29 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Mathematics and Science should be taught in English. We are still a developing country. Thus, it is good to have more people good in Science and Mathematics to help in the development of our country and to reduce the effects of brain drain as there will still be intellectuals though some decided to migrate to other countries .

I read in the the Star Newspaper, it clearly shows that many parents are dissatisfied with the Education Minister's decision. Some even considering of sending their children to international school and Singaporean schools.

The point of rural people will not be able to catch up with the urban is not reasonable enough. Instead of wasting money on making a reversal on this policy, they should try to improve the usage of English among the rural people. That way, it is a win-win situation.

If the government still wants to go with this, I prefer the government convert back all the former English schools from national schools to English schools. Since the Chinese and Tamil schools can use their respective language to teach Mathematics and Science in the primary schools, the government should allow the students in English schools to learn Maths and Science in English.

That way, it gives the people the choice to choose which language they want to learn Maths and Science.

#30 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz_Zoo View Post
Mathematics and Science should be taught in English. We are still a developing country. Thus, it is good to have more people good in Science and Mathematics to help in the development of our country and to reduce the effects of brain drain as there will still be intellectuals though some decided to migrate to other countries .

I read in the the Star Newspaper, it clearly shows that many parents are dissatisfied with the Education Minister's decision. Some even considering of sending their children to international school and Singaporean schools.

The point of rural people will not be able to catch up with the urban is not reasonable enough. Instead of wasting money on making a reversal on this policy, they should try to improve the usage of English among the rural people. That way, it is a win-win situation.

If the government still wants to go with this, I prefer the government convert back all the former English schools from national schools to English schools. Since the Chinese and Tamil schools can use their respective language to teach Mathematics and Science in the primary schools, the government should allow the students in English schools to learn Maths and Science in English.

That way, it gives the people the choice to choose which language they want to learn Maths and Science.
I totally agree with you. I think the government saying that that they will train more english teachers and employ retired teachers is erroneous. They will not implement it. Its just political propaganda. I can't expressed how disappointed i am with the government's decision. Well i am glad that i completed my secondary schooling.
mehul91 is offline   Reply With Quote