ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

JYHee Female

#31 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

I somehow came across this in the new straits times online.

PPSMI: Dr M disappointed on Cabinet’s decision
By : Regina Lee, NST Newsdesk
Email to friend Print article

PUTRAJAYA, WED:
FORMER Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today expressed his dismay over the decision to revert to teaching Mathematics and Science in Malay and vernacular languages.

"I am sad for the future of our young, who will find it harder later to master the fields of Science and Mathematics,” he said.

Asked about the statistics that showed that there was a decline among students is proficiency in the two subjects, Dr Mahathir said the figures were “inaccurate”.

"Naturally, the results would still differentiate between the rural and the urban areas. There is also a vast comparison between the races to take into consideration," he said.

He said that learning English from Mathematics and Science was never the point of the policy, his brainchild that was rolled out in 2003.
Rather, it was to prepare students for the globalization in the fields of Mathematics and Science.

Speaking at a Press conference at the Perdana Leadership Foundation here, Dr Mahathir said it was the implementation, and not the policy itself, that should be blamed.

He also said that Education Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, who is also Deputy Prime Minister, and several ministry top brass had met him on Monday to brief him on the government's decision.

"I suggested that even if they don't have to have (teaching Mathematics and Science in English) at the primary level, they could always do it at the secondary level.

"That, too, was dismissed. There was no consultation at all. It was just a briefing," he added.

I totally agree with wat Dr. Mahathir said. Even if they wanna change bek to bm....they should still retain eng as a medium to teach in secondary school because it will definately help when they graduate. I myself was the first batch that used English in Science and MAths when i first entered secondary school and i find that it won't be a problem even if i learnt those subjects in mandarin during my primary school years. I felt so sad when i heard about this news.
Super Junior Member

#32 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehul91 View Post
I totally agree with you. I think the government saying that that they will train more english teachers and employ retired teachers is erroneous. They will not implement it. Its just political propaganda. I can't expressed how disappointed i am with the government's decision. Well i am glad that i completed my secondary schooling.
beside train more english teacher,they should also raise the salary of teacher....hahaha
way is offline   Reply With Quote
SapphireDragon Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#33 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

We have failed. We have failed miserably to send a strong message to the government that English is the way to go. I know many students who are already studying in English will say "Haiya, not my problem lah. 2012 only implement. By that time, I in university already lah!". If anyone of you thinks like that, then you are one ignorant, naive and unpatriotic git. You only think of yourself and don't care about the future of the younger generation at stake.

Be an optimist and enjoy life!

Visit my blog.
SapphireDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#34 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminodreamer89 View Post
Actually, there are researches being done over the years on learning math and science in the students' mother tongues will yield a better understanding and result. However, right now I am unable to provide the statistics.
This is what some people say, too. As far as I am concerned, these researches give such relative results. The problem lies on the sample that they are choosing.

Quote:
Reasons being, if Chinese and Tamil are replaced by English in Primary level, how about those students which are from Mandarin or Tamil-speaking family? And, speaking from a student who is from Chinese Primary and Chinese-majority Secondary, I have to agree that a small percentage of this policy is dedicated to diminish Chinese Education in Malaysia. Secondly, as mentioned above, the students will be able to have an easier and more comfortable grasp on the Math and Science concepts, due to the familiarity towards their own language. Thirdly, as mentioned on The Star, the incompetency in English of most teachers.
I come from a Mandarin-speaking family. When I was in Standard One, I didn't know a single word of Bahasa Malaysia. Nevertheless, I studied Science and Mathematics in Bahasa Malaysia. I scored 5A's for UPSR, 7A's for PMR and 11A's for SPM. See the point? Languages can be learnt. Learning is a long-term activity.

Don't say that I am one of those who are more intelligent than others. Fine, there could be students are not so gifted in terms of cognitive abilities, but many are not doing well simply because:

1. their families may not pay much emphasis on the importance of education
2. they are lazy
3. lack of emphasis on the teaching of the English language

Now don't tell me "Exactly, Henry! Because there is lack of emphasis paid on the teaching of the English language, therefore we should revert back to Bahasa Malaysia and our mother tongues." Reverting is not a solution! It is just a mean to escape from your troubles. The solution is simple: get more English-qualified teachers to teach English properly and set a syllabus to teach grammar, spelling, sentence structure, etc. just like how Bahasa Malaysia is taught.

I just notice that a lot of us Malaysians just like the short-cut way out of matters. "Aiyah, my English not good lah... revert lah..." Rather than that, they should think like, "Hmmm... my English is so poor. I should work harder on it so that I can understand my subject material better in the future."

Conclusion? Hendak seribu daya, tak hendak seribu dalih.

Quote:
In conclusion, the government never thinks carefully before implementing any new policies. This kind of attitude will certainly bring adverse effects to our younger generations.
Yes, true enough! And I tell you, my friend, I won't pity Malaysia if it suffers a serious case of brain drain.

Last edited by henry_yew; 09-07-2009 at 09:04 PM.
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
JYHee Female

#35 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by way View Post
beside train more english teacher,they should also raise the salary of teacher....hahaha
They will increase the amount of english teachers but salary? I don't think so.
Here is an article i came across in http://thenutgraph.com/maths-and-sci...o-revert-to-BM

Changes in store

He said in the efforts to empower the teaching of the Malay language, the subject curriculum would undergo a transformation at primary and secondary school levels with focus given to enhancing the language skills among students.

"It will be implemented through an integrated, balanced and holistic modular approach. It will cover skills like listening, speaking, reading and writing, as well as the command of the language in terms of grammar and proficiency.

"At the primary school level, the Malay-language curriculum will focus on fun learning and the appreciation of the language," he said.

At the secondary school level, the Malay-language curriculum would focus on the appreciation of the Malay literature as well as bolstering the students' skills in grammar, reading, listening, writing, speaking and the overall command of the language.

On the teaching and learning of English, he said, the ministry would appoint additional 13,933 English teachers, comprising 1,000 teachers from abroad, 600 retired teachers who would be re-employed, and 12,333 additional teachers from the Malaysian Institute of Teachers' Education as well as from private and public institutions of higher learning.

The English subject period for the lower primary school (Year One to Year Three) would be increased by 90 minutes a week, making it 330 minutes a week; while the upper primary school (Year Four to Year Six) would also be increased by 90 minutes to 300 minutes a week, he said.

The English subject period for national-type Chinese and Tamil primary schools would also be increased by 60 minutes to 120 minutes a week for the lower primary level, and by 30 minutes to 120 minutes a week for the upper primary level.

"The English subject period for Form One to Six will be increased by 80 minutes to 280 minutes a week, from 200 minutes at the moment.

"The time allocation for the Malaysian University English Test (Muet) for Form Six classes would be increased by 80 minutes to 400 minutes a week, from 320 minutes at the moment," he added.

At matriculation level, the period would be increased from three to six hours a week.

In addition, an English contemporary literature programme for children would also be introduced for all upper primary pupils.

Other measures would include the setting up of English laboratories in schools. "Schools will also be utilising Information Technology in the teaching and learning of English," Muhyiddin said.

To expose students to proper terminology, elements of science and technology would be incorporated into the teaching of English, he added. — Bernama

#36 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
I come from a Mandarin-speaking family. When I was in Standard One, I didn't know a single word of Bahasa Malaysia. Nevertheless, I studied Science and Mathematics in Bahasa Malaysia. I scored 5A's for UPSR, 7A's for PMR and 11A's for SPM. See the point? Languages can be learnt. Learning is a long-term activity.

Don't say that I am one of those who are more intelligent than others. Fine, there could be students are not so gifted in terms of cognitive abilities, but many are not doing well simply because:

1. their families may not pay much emphasis on the importance of education
2. they are lazy
3. lack of emphasis on the teaching of the English language

Now don't tell me "Exactly, Henry! Because there is lack of emphasis paid on the teaching of the English language, therefore we should revert back to Bahasa Malaysia and our mother tongues." Reverting is not a solution! It is just a mean to escape from your troubles. The solution is simple: get more English-qualified teachers to teach English properly and set a syllabus to teach grammar, spelling, sentence structure, etc. just like how Bahasa Malaysia is taught.

I just notice that a lot of us Malaysians just like the short-cut way out of matters. "Aiyah, my English not good lah... revert lah..." Rather than that, they should think like, "Hmmm... my English is so poor. I should work harder on it so that I can understand my subject material better in the future."

Conclusion? Hendak seribu daya, tak hendak seribu dalih.
Dear Henry, if u read my post carefully, I have not mentioned a single word in supporting the current sudden reversion. If you are talking about switching language in between, I learnt Math and Science in Chinese when I was in Primary, I learnt both of them in Malay when I was in Secondary, and I learnt both of them in English for my pre-u. Since you are keen on putting out the results, mine is (UPSR-7As; PMR-8As; SPM-11As.)

And plus, in my earlier post (in page 1), I have said, English is a language. It's certainly wrong to learn language in such a way. Regarding this matter, I have written about this issue in Sinchew Daily dated on 26/01/2007. So, I agree with what you have said here.

My conclusion is : Mother tongues for Primary, English for Secondary, Pre-U and University.
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#37 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
My conclusion is : Mother tongues for Primary, English for Secondary, Pre-U and University.
If this is the case, my question still remains: why necessitate a switch of language between Primary and Secondary? Just because some researchers say that it's easier to pick up the subjects in your mother tongues in primary school?

If that's so, then the case where I stated earlier about my experience of learning Science and Mathematics in Bahasa Malaysia would still be posed. In putting up that case I wasn't attacking you on whether you support the reversion or otherwise, but rather I was questioning the need to switch medium of instruction during secondary school level. I hope I'm clear this time. I apologise if I confused you earlier on.
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#38 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

By Dr.Mahathir, the polisher of Malaysia's diamond of hope when he mooted the teaching of Science and Maths in English but sadly, today, the diamond's luster has gone, together with the rays of progress and glitters of pride that we once thought could be a reality in the future. But now, that future remains as dark as it is before...the light at the end of the tunnel has been buried by the short-sightedness and myopic viewpoints of our leaders. Together with Dr.Mahathir, I mourn the loss of the young generation. I mourn the fate of our children in the future. It has died...just like Michael Jackson.

Dr.Mahathir: 13 March 2009
1. Saya berasa amat sedih apabila membaca laporan berkenaan demonstrasi yang dipimpin oleh tokoh sastera Melayu menentang pengajaran sains dan matematik dalam bahasa Inggeris.

2. Kononnya ini akan menidakkan kebolehan bahasa Melayu sebagai bahasa pengantar dalam ilmu ini. Konon ia akan mengurangkan perkembangan bahasa Melayu sebagai bahasa kebangsaan.

3. Kita harus ingat bahawa pelajaran bukan semata-mata untuk memaju atau mengembangkan bahasa. Pelajaran adalah untuk penguasaan ilmu, pelbagai jenis ilmu.

4. Yang boleh meningkatkan taraf dan kemajuan bahasa ialah matapelajaran bahasa itu sendiri dan diperingkat yang lebih tinggi mata pelajaran sastera.

5. Sains dan matematik tidak mungkin menolong kemajuan bahasa, khususnya bahasa Melayu.

6. Ini disebabkan bahasa sains dan matematik bukan daripada bahasa Melayu. Sebahagian besar daripada perkataan-perkataan dalam mata pelajaran ini adalah dalam bahasa Latin yang di-Inggeriskan.

7. Memang benar kita boleh Melayu-kan perkataan-perkataan ini, seperti juga kita Melayu-kan perkataan daripada lain-lain bahasa.

8. Memang boleh tetapi perkataan-perkataan sains bukan satu dua tapi beratus-ratus. Dan perkataan ini menjadi asas kepada perkataan yang mempunyai makna yang amat berlainan.

9. Umpamanya perkataan Oxygen (Oksigen) - satu jenis gas. Derivative (cabang) daripada perkataan ini adalah seperti berikut;

• Oxygenation

• Oxidation

• Oxide

• Oxidants

• Deoxydation

• Oxidise

• Oxidification

• Dioxide

• Monoxide

• Peroxide

10. Ini hanya bagi satu elemen daripada sebanyak 120 (11 elemen.

11. Tiap satu mempunyai banyak derivative. Tetapi ada perkataan-perkataan lain yang hanya untuk ilmu sains. Jika semuanya nak di-Melayukan, bahasa Melayu akan bertukar menjadi bahasa Inggeris, ejaan lain bunyi semacam. Sebenarnya ia bukan bahasa Melayu lagi.

12. Ilmu sains dan matematik bukan ilmu yang statik. Ilmu-ilmu ini berkembang sepanjang masa. Tiap hari ada hasil kaji selidik, penerokaan, ciptaan dan perluasan yang diperkenal melalui ratusan kertas-kertas yang ditulis.

13. Hampir semua ditulis dalam bahasa Inggeris. Untuk menterjemah tulisan ini kita perlu orang yang fasih dalam bahasa Melayu dan bahasa Inggeris dan faham ilmu yang hendak diterjemah.

14. Kita ada beberapa kerat sahaja orang yang berkebolehan seperti ini. Itupun dalam dua tiga bidang sahaja. Orang yang layak seperti ini tidak berminat menjadi penterjemah seumur hidup. Apabila sains dan matematik diajar dalam bahasa Melayu, orang seperti ini tidak akan ada lagi. Bagaimanakah kita hendak ikuti perkembangan ilmu sains?

15. Sebaliknya kertas ilmiah akan terus dikeluarkan beratus-ratus lagi, semuanya dalam bahasa Inggeris atau bahasa-bahasa lain. Maka tanpa kebolehan menterjemah semua ilmu baru ini akan tertinggallah orang Melayu dalam bidang ilmu yang amat penting di zaman ini.

16. Kalau kita masih tidak dapat menerima kenyataan di atas, kaji sahaja jumlah Phd dalam bidang sains yang hanya belajar sains dalam bahasa Melayu dan tidak faham bahasa Inggeris. Berapa ramaikah daripada pakar dalam bidang perubatan yang hanya belajar dalam bahasa Melayu, tanpa buku dalam bahasa Inggeris sebagai buku teks.

17. Apakah penuntut luar bandar tidak dapat menguasai bahasa Inggeris?

18. Sekali lagi perhitungan perlu dibuat berkenaan jumlah mereka yang dari kampung yang memegang jawatan tinggi dalam Kerajaan dan swasta kerana lulus dalam bahasa Inggeris dan mampu berhujah dalam bahasa berkenaan. Yang menentang PPSMI pun dari kampung juga tetapi dapat kelulusan bahasa Inggeris. Bahkan mereka sering berbahasa Inggeris.

19. Duta dan diplomat kita, berapa ramaikah yang hanya boleh bertutur kata dalam bahasa Melayu yang memegang jawatan penting dalam Kementerian Luar?

20. Pakar sains dan perubatan dan juga pegawai tinggi Kerajaan sering dikehendaki mengambil bahagian dalam persidangan antarabangsa. Apakah mereka dapat berhujah dan mengambil bahagian secara berkesan dengan mengguna hanya bahasa Melayu?

21. Saya bukan hendak memandang rendah bahasa bangsa saya sendiri. Tetapi saya perlu terima hakikat yang sebenar.

22. Bahasa sesuatu bangsa akan dipelajari oleh orang asing jika bangsa itu amat maju dan terkenal dengan ilmu yang dimiliki dan diterokai olehnya. Demikian sebelum abad ke-15 Masihi orang Eropah terpaksa belajar bahasa Arab kerana tamadun Islam pada masa itu gah dan amat dihormati. Tetapi selepas orang Islam ketepikan sains, ilmu perubatan dan hisab, orang Eropah tidak lagi mempelajari bahasa Arab. Sebaliknya orang Arab dan Islam terpaksa belajar bahasa Eropah.

23. Jika kita ingin bahasa Melayu digunakan dengan meluas kita perlu majukan diri kita dalam semua bidang terutama bidang ilmu dahulu. Sebelum daripada itu minat untuk belajar bahasa Melayu akan terhad kepada sekumpulan kecil sahaja.

24. Kita belajar sains dan matematik untuk memajukan bangsa kita supaya satu hari mungkin kita akan terkenal berkenaan dengan penerokaan dan kajiselidik oleh kita dan orang lain akan belajar bahasa kita untuk mendapat ilmu yang diteroka oleh kita.

25. Penguasaan ilmu amat penting bagi masa depan seseorang. Janganlah kita perjudikan masa depan anak orang kerana kononnya kita seorang nasionalis yang begitu sayang kepada bahasa kita. Sayang bahasa tidak boleh melebihi sayang bangsa. Mereka yang sayang bangsa mereka ingin lihat bangsa mereka maju, berilmu dan dihormati dunia. Hanya kerana boleh bertuturkata dalam bahasa sendiri tidak akan menjadikan bangsa kita dihormati dan disegani orang.

26. Akan rosaklah bangsa dan negara jika dasar negara ditentukan oleh orang yang berdemonstrasi. Lebih rosak lagi jika yang berdemonstrasi didalangi oleh politik pembangkang.

GOD SAVE MALAYSIA!

Here, I vow that if one day I shall be a person of influence, whether in the education sector or in the greasely world of politics, when I will be the Education Minister, I will spearhead a revolution to propel the spiralling command of the English language among Malaysians. The politicians today never listen to the younger generation. Every single soul I have spoke to whether Malay, Chinese or Indian have voiced that English is the way forward. We never complained it is hard being taught in English. It is the busybody adults, politicians, lawmakers and language based organisations who don't know a damn about our opinions who created this chaos in he first place. They never listened, even when there were discussions, they never sought the opinion of the boy who walks to school everyday brimming with enthusiasm of studying English in Maths, the girl who excitedly told her mother how far she had progressed in her Science in English, the rubber tapper who was supporting the policy because he knew that English can lay a bright future for his children. They never listen....and I'm sick of that.

Yes, Mahathir and I have something in common. We think about the future. But most importantly, if you have flipped through your history textbooks and read in te papers of the many brilliant policies Mahathir has implemented, HE WAS ALWAYS RIGHT..

Be an optimist and enjoy life!

Visit my blog.
SapphireDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#39 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireDragon View Post
Yes, Mahathir and I have something in common. We think about the future. But most importantly, if you have flipped through your history textbooks and read in te papers of the many brilliant policies Mahathir has implemented, HE WAS ALWAYS RIGHT..
I may not like Tun Dr. Mahathir much (though he is my Chancellor), I may be suspicious about the things that he says, and I may find his statements laughable at times, but in some other ways he, in my opinion, is quite a reformist.

It's just that many Malaysians can't keep up with him. We must accept that we are sluggish somehow.

#40 Old 09-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
If this is the case, my question still remains: why necessitate a switch of language between Primary and Secondary? Just because some researchers say that it's easier to pick up the subjects in your mother tongues in primary school?

If that's so, then the case where I stated earlier about my experience of learning Science and Mathematics in Bahasa Malaysia would still be posed. In putting up that case I wasn't attacking you on whether you support the reversion or otherwise, but rather I was questioning the need to switch medium of instruction during secondary school level. I hope I'm clear this time. I apologise if I confused you earlier on.
Oh. Now it's better, as I got your stand.

Erm, well I guess you know that, over the years, it's so hard for the Chinese Education to sustain. 6 years ago, when this policy was implemented, it carried an underlying message which is to diminish Chinese Education in Malaysia. Imagine this, if English is the medium for Math and Science for all schools, there will be no different in going to a Tamil School, a Chinese School or a Kebangsaan School. So, it will only get harder to build new chinese schools or continue to promote Chinese Education. And, SJK (C) Damansara is one of the best examples.

Well, I believe that if I continue to write, it will divert from the original issue and bring in more and more questions from different perspectives, like language, Sekolah Wawasan, or racial issue.