ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

markwongsk Male
Developer

#81 Old 15-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Perhaps the more dire consequences of changing the medium of language involves improper usage of resources. I agree with mehul91 that the medium is not a barrier to those with strong initiative to learn. I mean, most of us here (before SPM/2007) did our S and M in BM and we're definitely not lagging behind our counterparts now... the S and M standard now in school is, to say the least, pathetic (believe me, I taught them).

As such, the problem lies in the subject content and the pedagogy method... Of course, this doesn't mean I agree to this ridiculous policy of shifting mediums every now and then. I believe it should remain in English, though changing it doesn't have much impact on the self-motivated, it does have significant influence on those who are waiting to be spoon-fed (which includes most students IMO)
markwongsk is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#82 Old 15-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwongsk View Post
Perhaps the more dire consequences of changing the medium of language involves improper usage of resources. I agree with mehul91 that the medium is not a barrier to those with strong initiative to learn. I mean, most of us here (before SPM/2007) did our S and M in BM and we're definitely not lagging behind our counterparts now... the S and M standard now in school is, to say the least, pathetic (believe me, I taught them).

As such, the problem lies in the subject content and the pedagogy method... Of course, this doesn't mean I agree to this ridiculous policy of shifting mediums every now and then. I believe it should remain in English, though changing it doesn't have much impact on the self-motivated, it does have significant influence on those who are waiting to be spoon-fed (which includes most students IMO)
Exactly my points which were covered in my previous posts. It's comforting to know somebody shares views with me.
Super Junior Member

#83 Old 16-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

I don?t understand the need to have the teaching of Science and Mathematics reverted to Bahasa or to any other mother tongues ? it doesn?t make it any easier for the students either way ? because we don?t use advanced scientific jargons in our everyday conversations, so independent of whatever language is used, a student would still need to learn new vocabularies anyway when learning Science and Mathematics as a new subject!
And since there will be costs incurred when the government reverses the teaching of Science and Mathematics to Bahasa, just like when the government took great pains to have these subjects taught in English a few years back, why not use the funding for these costs to better the existing system instead? Obviously the teaching of Science and Mathematics in English is quite new and needing some improvements, but we can ill-afford to oscillate between the two language systems. We already switched once, and if we cannot be resolute enough to follow through this new system, i.e. the English language system, how can we expect ourselves to do the same when we revert back to Bahasa? When we switch, we have to re-train the teachers, change the textbooks, and wait what? Another six years for the students to adapt again? Ultimately we might even find ourselves back at square one with the same problems and same situation, unresolved! Time is a costly commodity, and we want our education system to improve by leaps and bounds within a short period, so it?s better to stick with the English language system and start make improvements!
Besides, having Science and Mathematics taught in English is a very strategic policy especially for a developing country like us. It is simple economics knowledge that countries expand their production possibility frontier and become stronger economically when they absorb new technologies ? the reason why some countries are motivated to send industrial spies to other countries throughout history. Flowing from this, if we want to emulate the success of countries like UK and US, then we have to absorb the more advanced technologies to improve our industries. Since these countries usually use English as a language of technology, we should adapt to it. But the learning of sciences is like building more advanced knowledge upon previous knowledge. If we only change our language medium to English at a higher level, for e.g. at sixth form, some students might not be able to adapt as well as others and lose their way altogether. This is precisely why our emphasis should be on teaching Science and Mathematics in English, and not improving the people?s prowess in English!
ccter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ccter For This Useful Post:
eugenetoh91 Male

#84 Old 16-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Straight forward:
Can we use Malay to fly to the space?
Can we use Malay to dominate in technology?
Why don't we just follow Brunei? It's a Malay and Islamic country, yet it is using English in their education. And that's how they became a strong and rich country!
Our government is just too kind to help those people, the more it helps, the more our country declines.
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#85 Old 16-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Brunei is not rich because of English.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#86 Old 16-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetoh91 View Post
Straight forward:
Why don't we just follow Brunei? It's a Malay and Islamic country, yet it is using English in their education. And that's how they became a strong and rich country!
Our government is just too kind to help those people, the more it helps, the more our country declines.
This really made my day. Arguably the cutest post in the entire topic.

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#87 Old 16-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetoh91 View Post
Straight forward:
Factual error. Brunei is not rich because of its education in English. There are many other factors involved to generate the economy of a country. The wisdom of a ruler, the natural resources, the demography and geography of a country can heavily affect the wealth of a country.

English is just a language; it's not a tool to make you rich or wealthy.
Less Junior Member

#88 Old 17-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

in my opinion, malaysia does not hv the power to affect other industralized and developing nations yet, espeacially those richer countries. so, actions or institution should not be taken just according to their will. in other words, malaysia should rectify the institution according to the global needs, of course, at the same time malaysia should not neglect the development of homeland.

if the institution is changed without considering the global needs, a significant amount of money will disappear without significant changes.
louis8_8wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor

#89 Old 19-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

the reversal on this policy is becuse of Bahasa Malaysia as many politicial figures/parties goes against it. You can the number of demonstrations against teaching Maths and sceinece in English and the number of the demonstartion supporting teaching maths and science in english.

it clearly shows that the government is changing the policy to win the hearts of certain people not because is the right thing to do.

#90 Old 19-07-2009 Default Re: Teaching of Science and Mathematics in BM year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz_Zoo View Post
the reversal on this policy is becuse of Bahasa Malaysia as many politicial figures/parties goes against it. You can the number of demonstrations against teaching Maths and sceinece in English and the number of the demonstartion supporting teaching maths and science in english.

it clearly shows that the government is changing the policy to win the hearts of certain people not because is the right thing to do.

I couldnt agree more...........

-MJ-
mehul91 is offline   Reply With Quote