ReCom.org
The Business World From the stock market to the old school barter system

Financial Planning

iQing

#1 Old 15-11-2003 Default Financial Planning

Financial planning is essential in our life..
Even we dunno anything about management, entrepreneur stuff..
we still need to know some basic financial planning...

wowder why some guys got broke?
wonder why u spend so much money per month without knowing the cash flow?

i think financial planning is important to students as well...

I believe there are students who receive scholarship allowance..
how u use them.?

some students receive lotsa allowance for a long period of time, say 5 years?
with such amount of time and money, do u know that it's golden opportunity for u to invest the money and become rich?
or u just use the money touring round the world?
or u just save it in the bank..
letting such opportunity fly away?

For other students who have to pay through thier nose to study..
how do u manage your money so that u dun have to "ikat perut" ?

how to plan our money when we r studying in oversea?

before we can invest..
the first step is to gather wealth ..
and proper financial planning is required to achieve this goal...

any ideas on financial planning?
I wish to hear from u guys on financial planing..

Remeber..
money is a good tool for us to carry out tasks.

that's all... have fun.

"think, try and triumph"

iQing
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#2 Old 15-11-2003 Default

i fully agree, it is very important for all of us to learn the basic concept of finance, economic, investment etc.

Fully utilize the e-learning section, we have a lot of good resources over there...

Anyone has anything to share over here?
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chenchow For This Useful Post:
Schye Male
Veteran N00b

#3 Old 15-11-2003 Default

I would like to know more about a students cash flow too as most of the books that i have read are written base one those who has started working(although they can be apply to us too)

I have read a few of the rich dad poor dad series .I hope that there will be others who can share their opinion here as i really dont know much on this but i am ready to learn ;)

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
Schye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schye For This Useful Post:
silverblue

#4 Old 16-11-2003 Default

Oh! This is interesting! hehe... I am also thinking about ways to invest money for the future since I am now working and saving up on allowances...
but there are just so many ways to do that, that I am at a lost on which is the best or savest way to invest.. bonds? fixed deposit? property? pening la so many... can someone share some tips on how to invest wisely?

I am planning to put a certain amount of money in investment right now, so that after 3 years, when I graduate, I will gain from that investment I'd made and not just let it sit in the bank earning 0.5% interest a month...
It'd definitely be good to start saving for your future...

but of course, I plan to keep a certain amount of money for travelling... cos if you don't take your chance and travel now, when will u ever get that opportunity to come all the way to the west again? we might think that oh..we can earn money next time and use it to travel when we are older.... but in reality, when we start working, we'll rarely have the chance to take holidays to go overseas. So, I definitely also encourage people to put some money aside for travelling purposes... it's good to open your eyes to the world!! ;)
silverblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silverblue For This Useful Post:
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#5 Old 16-11-2003 Default

I think one of the best way to invest for newcomers would be through mutual funds, as they would invest for you, generally with you having much less risk, unless the entire stock market and forex go tumbling. It would be fewer percentage of profit that way, but i think it pays a pretty good percentage...
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chenchow For This Useful Post:
littlebigone Male
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 16-11-2003 Default

mutual fund is good if you don't care and don't need control over your money. But will you actually learn anything about ecomics and financial planning if you use mutual funds? I mean, will the companies who manage the funds actually publish what they do with it or will the only give a broad view of the investments? Anyone knows or has invested in mutual funds?
littlebigone is offline   Reply With Quote
royston

#7 Old 16-11-2003 Default

Hi Cheryl,

Investing huh... kinda interesting. I think this is depending on how much risk you are affortable.

Before I worked in Intel, I worked in a stock broking firm for 3 years, I have seen a lot of ppl out there, how they "invest" (or rather I say gamble)... too much risk as i would say almost 90% of the so-called investor out there are just gamblers.

Save money in bank, better put in FD. But this approach will be a little bit slow to increase the amount of your money, anyway, low risk.

Property? Hummm... you need to have enough money to have a property but depends on what type of property you wish to invest. Houses? Lands? Yeah... you may do that too. In fact, I am planning to do it now as well.

One way that I personally think it is good to invest, although there is some risk there. You may try to apply shares that are going to be listed. I know it might be a little bit childish but you just need to pay the money to apply for the shares before it listed, after that the related department will draw and if you are lucky, you will be selected. They will take your money and give you the shares. When the company listed, the price of the share will be "normally" higher than the price you have applied. I said "normally" is because I saw once, the share price was lower than the application price... heehee... I applied before, you may easily gain few hundred or up to few k ... 8O

For travelling, most of the students do before they came out to work. But do you know that after you came out to work, you will have more time to travel? It is not like how you imagine... You may take your annual leave and travel, in the meantime the company still paying you salary.

After you started to work, you will get to know a lot of ppl out there and this will give you more information on where to travel, what should u do and so on...

~ roy ~
eeyore
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 16-11-2003 Default

is it also easy to get leave if we're working in a public sector? i've heard a lot of complaints from government servants that their permonohonon cuti was not accepted ...

but in the private sector, i've heard stories from my friends that their company actually sent them overseas for business/training ... that sounds like fun
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
royston

#9 Old 16-11-2003 Default

I am not sure about government servent but what is the point you choose public sector? I mean... which ever sector we work, we are still contributing to Malaysia, right?

As per my experiences, working in private sector will give you more job opportunities and also this will improve our competancy in the sense that a lot of challenges we will encounter. For the training, yes, that's true. I used to sent to overseas for training and so on.

~ roy ~
Schye Male
Veteran N00b

#10 Old 16-11-2003 Default

About applying shares which is going to be listed , it is a good way but there wont be that many chances ;)And once the price go up, you better sell it fast as most of it will fall down back to the price or lower than that usually.
Bumi may have more chances of getting being that as they will have the the quota. As far as i know their cahnces will eb around double(hehe....maybe roston should answer this)
I have heard that some are using the name of their friends who dont invest to apply for more so that the percentage they are selected are bigger.

I know we can do this if we are in Malaysia.How about if we are studying overseas? Can foreign students apply for that too?

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
Schye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schye For This Useful Post: