ReCom.org
Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

marczeman Male

#411 Old 27-11-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Yeah laptop loans are for Petronas-sponsored students. 3.5k.

Btw Henry, are Petronas-sponsored students more likely to be hired by Petronas later? I mean does it place them at any advantage?
I have two offers, JPA and Petronas... wondering which to take... obviously since Petronas' is technically only a convertible loan, JPA seems the more sensible option. But the career guidance counsellor tells me that PE grads compete for a very limited number of job vacancies upon graduation, so was thinking that if taking Petronas' sponsorship will help me land a job with them later, maybe I should take that instead...
Less Junior Member

#412 Old 02-12-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hash94 View Post
^
waiting for my student pass , they say it takes 1 month time.

I heard on forums that UTP gives Laptop allowance,

do we have to return back like loan,

and what r the requirements fir it.

BTW very excited for UTP
If you have petronas convertible loan, you can claim your laptop allowance when you enter undergraduate (so keep the receipt), maximum RM3500 (at my time)
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#413 Old 03-12-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by marczeman View Post
Yeah laptop loans are for Petronas-sponsored students. 3.5k.

Btw Henry, are Petronas-sponsored students more likely to be hired by Petronas later? I mean does it place them at any advantage?
I have two offers, JPA and Petronas... wondering which to take... obviously since Petronas' is technically only a convertible loan, JPA seems the more sensible option. But the career guidance counsellor tells me that PE grads compete for a very limited number of job vacancies upon graduation, so was thinking that if taking Petronas' sponsorship will help me land a job with them later, maybe I should take that instead...
Think about this: if you sign a contract with either JPA or Petronas, you will be bonded with either one. Any contract that has a "service bond" is technically a convertible loan, no matter how they name it. A scholarship is one that does not come with a bond - you get it out of your own merits and upon completing your studies, you're not required to serve any entity or repay them. Pay attention that JPA usually uses the word "tajaan" - or sponsorship. Sponsorships almost always come with conditions - e.g. when a company sponsors an event, they always want to have their advertisements up on jerseys, billboards, television, etc.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the bond does not make me want to choose Petronas more than JPA, or vice versa. But there are other factors to consider.

And no, just because you are a Petronas-sponsored student does not mean that you will stand a higher chance to be hired for employment. Yes, among your non Petronas-sponsored friends, you might stand a higher chance, but among your Petronas-sponsored friends, chances are just as equal that you will not be employed. The fact is that not getting an employment with Petronas is a very true and real possibility, but that is absolutely not the end of the world. There are many companies out there seeking for new employees, not just Petronas. In the event that you are not employed by Petronas, the sky will be your limit.

As far as petroleum engineering prospects are concerned, there are companies like Schlumberger, Saudi Aramco, Shell, Exxon-Mobil, Carigali-Hess, Talisman Energy, Newfield, etc. that hire UTP/Petronas-sponsored graduates, though getting a full employment could mean extra paperwork (just because you are sponsored by Petronas). I have UTP friends who work in all of the above-mentioned companies. I also have friends in other fields who were not employed by Petronas but have managed to secure a job in other multinational companies.
marczeman Male

#414 Old 04-12-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Events are a big thing here at UTP. Recruitment drives for everything. Sometimes I wonder how much participation is too much participation...

P.S. jealous at how med students don't have to worry about extra-curriculars...seems like all they do is pass exams...
Less Junior Member

#415 Old 04-12-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by marczeman View Post
Events are a big thing here at UTP. Recruitment drives for everything. Sometimes I wonder how much participation is too much participation...

P.S. jealous at how med students don't have to worry about extra-curriculars...seems like all they do is pass exams...
It's up to individuals to be involved in these co-curricular activites. Some are very active, some participate in the junior years only (due to increasing workload), some do not participate at all. However, being completely inactive is unhelpful to your resume. You can at least pick up some skills when you join those events like how to organize etc..

If you feel that you can't cope with studies and events, to me, I would prefer focusing on studies. Still, at least have some co-curricular activities..

#416 Old 04-12-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchcoat101 View Post
It's up to individuals to be involved in these co-curricular activites. Some are very active, some participate in the junior years only (due to increasing workload), some do not participate at all. However, being completely inactive is unhelpful to your resume. You can at least pick up some skills when you join those events like how to organize etc..

If you feel that you can't cope with studies and events, to me, I would prefer focusing on studies. Still, at least have some co-curricular activities..
Are you from UTP? If yes, year/course?
Less Junior Member

#417 Old 05-12-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Projects are killing me ARGHHHH

-U`char kuey-

I'm a RUNESCAPE fan!
I'm a fan of Stephen Chow!
I love FOOD!
I'm not a NO.O"B!
Ultraman_batman is offline   Reply With Quote
ckweng16 Male
Less Junior Member

#418 Old 12-12-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

If you cannot withstand high pressure, please don't come UTP..
No joke.
Nevertheless, if you feel that high pressure is a training for future working environment, UTP life is good for you.
You always have to deal with dealines, projects, assignments, tests and field trip all at once.
Sometimes I just feel that everyone in UTP is very stressful and during tests period, everyone is tensed up and stay up until 3-4am to study...
ckweng16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ckweng16 For This Useful Post:
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#419 Old 12-12-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

No matter which university you attend to, stress and extreme pressure will be there. Just because you go to another university doesn't imply that there will be less pressure, just that all the stress will be delivered to you in a different fashion.
pikazul Female
Super Junior Member

#420 Old 25-12-2012 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

I have recently been accepted for the Jan 2013 Foundation enrollment, and I would like to know if there is a possibility for Petronas or UTP to send their foundation students overseas, preferably US, for their degrees?
pikazul is offline   Reply With Quote