ReCom.org
Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

pyramid Female
Super Junior Member

#441 Old 01-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

probably. still a little doubtful cause i'm a girl. the course i was offered is e&e foundation, boys' dominant course and so far i knew no girls as engineer in these fields (but quite a lot in health care)...my relatives said just stick with medicine and be a doctor is better for a girl [and there goes financial problem for medicine course=.=]... besides i'm 19 while usually the students in found are 17 (the eldest found student ever ). well, that cant be helped since i applied the wrong one that time =.= .actually now i just started as the first year student in medicine (the uni's offer came before utp's so i went there first). applied for ptptn but still dont know if approved or not?

Last edited by pyramid; 01-01-2013 at 10:15 PM.
pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
ckweng16 Male
Less Junior Member

#442 Old 02-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
probably. still a little doubtful cause i'm a girl. the course i was offered is e&e foundation, boys' dominant course and so far i knew no girls as engineer in these fields (but quite a lot in health care)...my relatives said just stick with medicine and be a doctor is better for a girl [and there goes financial problem for medicine course=.=]... besides i'm 19 while usually the students in found are 17 (the eldest found student ever ). well, that cant be helped since i applied the wrong one that time =.= .actually now i just started as the first year student in medicine (the uni's offer came before utp's so i went there first). applied for ptptn but still dont know if approved or not?
Hermm, I cannot encourage you to come in UTP as this is your decision and it's your future. Yes, I have to say EE in UTP is the hardest field, cuz you know...you can't see the electrons or electricity, all you can do is to make assumptions and calculations..But for civil engineering and others are quite okay, I think..I got a friend also 19 year old only foundation lar, and she mixes very well with us also..

Hmm, as far as I know lar, PTPTN will approve up to rm66000 to study undergraduate in UTP, which is enough to cover the tuition fees..and you can apply PTPTN in foundation as well (yes, there're only 3 uni in m'sia which gt this privilege, MMU, UNITEN and UTP)..you can borrow up to rm8000, so probably you just need to fork out around rm10k for whole foundation+degree education in UTP...(but getting 1st class in UTP is not so easy)..

Actually I don't think being a doctor or an engineer is better, both got good prospect as long as you got passion. But one thing different is the study part of doctors is very heavy, you got a lot a lot of books to read and memorise and understand..But for engineering courses, as long as you understand the concept of theory, you can solve any problems, without the need to memorise too much things. And another thing my tutor once told me is that, when you are frustrated over the experiment you are doing, you can kick the machine or equipments...But, when u gt frustrated over your patients, you cannot do the same thing, haha, just a joke..

Personally, I think it still depends on your passion, cuz if u do not have the interest in something, you will not have motivation to carry on with it, private message me to ask more about engineering if you still got doubts, cuz there're a lot of things which I can't talk publicly..haha..good luck

p/s: there are a lot of girls in engineering also, and some of them are far more better than boys, so hardworking and smart..haha
ckweng16 is offline   Reply With Quote
ChokLiqi
Super Junior Member

#443 Old 02-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

I've been offered to study foundation in utp , but i'm confusing with some problem , kindly hope that anyone can lend me a helping hand ?

1 . I want to ask bout the dressing attire at utp , can i wear only T-shirt but nt collared T-shirt at utp ? Is jeans can be worn ? Any special thing that i nid to remember in dressing at utp ?

2 . Any hidden fee that is not included in the list of fee that was listed at internet such as library fee , facilities fee , or lab fee ?

3 . Any special item that i nid to be brought along b4 i'm going to utp ?
ChokLiqi is offline   Reply With Quote
pyramid Female
Super Junior Member

#444 Old 02-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckweng16 View Post
But one thing different is the study part of doctors is very heavy, you got a lot a lot of books to read and memorise and understand..But for engineering courses, as long as you understand the concept of theory, you can solve any problems, without the need to memorise too much things. And another thing my tutor once told me is that, when you are frustrated over the experiment you are doing, you can kick the machine or equipments...But, when u gt frustrated over your patients, you cannot do the same thing, haha, just a joke..

Personally, I think it still depends on your passion, cuz if u do not have the interest in something, you will not have motivation to carry on with it, private message me to ask more about engineering if you still got doubts, cuz there're a lot of things which I can't talk publicly..haha..good luck

p/s: there are a lot of girls in engineering also, and some of them are far more better than boys, so hardworking and smart..haha
haha,i dont think a doctor will get frustrated over patients if they can't find out a solution for their sickness? but there are times when i can't solve a math problem and i went 'karate-ing'(just simply kick, i dont know martial arts ;p) in my garden. hoho
p/s: what engineering courses are they mostly in? any in e&e? btw, may i know what course are you taking? and what did e&e engineer do actually [so far i heard they design machines or circuits in factories...did they built the machine based on their design themselves or they only supervise?] ya, do we have places to cook or store food in hostels?
thanks a lot for your offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokLiqi View Post
I've been offered to study foundation in utp , but i'm confusing with some problem , kindly hope that anyone can lend me a helping hand ?

1 . I want to ask bout the dressing attire at utp , can i wear only T-shirt but nt collared T-shirt at utp ? Is jeans can be worn ? Any special thing that i nid to remember in dressing at utp ?

2 . Any hidden fee that is not included in the list of fee that was listed at internet such as library fee , facilities fee , or lab fee ?

3 . Any special item that i nid to be brought along b4 i'm going to utp ?
1) i heard that no v-neck or non-collar during classes, other time is fine as long as it is decent enough. jeans i think is ok ba...

2)sure got. but i dont know what are the fees paid for

3. i wanted to know that too

Last edited by pyramid; 02-01-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
ChokLiqi
Super Junior Member

#445 Old 03-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Quote:
haha,i dont think a doctor will get frustrated over patients if they can't find out a solution for their sickness? but there are times when i can't solve a math problem and i went 'karate-ing'(just simply kick, i dont know martial arts ;p) in my garden. hoho
p/s: what engineering courses are they mostly in? any in e&e? btw, may i know what course are you taking? and what did e&e engineer do actually [so far i heard they design machines or circuits in factories...did they built the machine based on their design themselves or they only supervise?] ya, do we have places to cook or store food in hostels?

1) i heard that no v-neck or non-collar during classes, other time is fine as long as it is decent enough. jeans i think is ok ba...

1.Erm , i've checked juz nw wif senior at utp , he said that we onli nid to wear collar shirt when we nid to carry out presentation or other formal occassion ... during lecture , whether non collar or collar shirt is accepted as well as jeans ...
ChokLiqi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChokLiqi For This Useful Post:
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#446 Old 04-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Whenever you go for lectures or are at the academic blocks (i.e. Pocket D, Pocket C, Buildings 1 to 23 and Chancellor Complex), I would strongly advise that you wear a collar shirt or a collar T-shirt. Some of you might have something against wearing collar shirts all the time, but it certainly isn't worth getting fined by a guard.

As much as the rule requiring you to adhere to a specific dress code seems asinine and ridiculous, it isn't something that is too difficult to follow, and it certainly isn't worth the trouble of getting fined or at least detained by a guard. Give them no reason to cause you trouble.
ckweng16 Male
Less Junior Member

#447 Old 04-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Quote:

The tutor who told me that we can kick machine is from Mechanical. E&E in utp is incredible, they got hands on projects and I saw them quite interesting (even I don't really like it, haha). Actually, what u asking about the job scope of EE engineers, I am also not too sure cuz I heard that EE engineers employed as Petroleum engineer before, haha, but mostly also maintainance engineers. you will know more when u come to utp.

For foundation student, it is unfortunate that you don't have fridge to store your food because you will be placed in hostel. later after 1-2 semesters staying in the Village 2 Block C hostel, you will only move to apartment that basically have 6 rooms, 2 toilets, 2 bathrooms and 1 pantry. That time only, you will be provided with fridge.

Something you need to bring here is laptop and LAN cable, haha..cuz for me lar, UTP is really a little bit boring..LOL, good environment to study!!and then just bring sports equipments lar, like swimming suit, ping pong, badminton, squash, tennis, basketball, volleyball. We got gym as well.

I am currently doing civil engineering..just finished my 1st year, and now having my 4 months break

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
Whenever you go for lectures or are at the academic blocks (i.e. Pocket D, Pocket C, Buildings 1 to 23 and Chancellor Complex), I would strongly advise that you wear a collar shirt or a collar T-shirt. Some of you might have something against wearing collar shirts all the time, but it certainly isn't worth getting fined by a guard.

As much as the rule requiring you to adhere to a specific dress code seems asinine and ridiculous, it isn't something that is too difficult to follow, and it certainly isn't worth the trouble of getting fined or at least detained by a guard. Give them no reason to cause you trouble.
Good one, Mr. Henry. I totally agree with him, actually those guards to summon you for not wearing proper attire appear only once or twice per semester. For normal lecture days, round-neck shirt and jeans is ok. But when you wanna go to admin office, you have to wear collar t-shirt (to library as well). But I think anyone should not wear short pants in academic blocks so as to respect others and RESPECT YOURSELF.

Last edited by ckweng16; 04-01-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
ckweng16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ckweng16 For This Useful Post:
hash94 Male
Super Junior Member

#448 Old 06-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

any idea what to expect at the Orientation week

and one more thing, the room we will get will be twin sharing or single for every student?

Last edited by hash94; 06-01-2013 at 03:26 AM.
hash94 is offline   Reply With Quote
pyramid Female
Super Junior Member

#449 Old 06-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

how to go to utp from petaling jaya??
marczeman Male

#450 Old 07-01-2013 Default Re: Life At Universiti Teknologi Petronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hash94 View Post
any idea what to expect at the Orientation week

and one more thing, the room we will get will be twin sharing or single for every student?
https://www.facebook.com/UtpConfessi...66961553433254

There. Enjoy.