ReCom.org
Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Help Needed In Deciding A Course

nicolet Female
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 09-03-2013 Default Help Needed In Deciding A Course For Sister.

My sister has just finished her Edexcel A-level course, and recently got her results which are terrible. BCD in Chemistry, Maths and Biology respectively. I really want to help her get into a university, but am unsure on how to advice her. You could also check out her thread here: http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15955

So sorry for the repost but its kinda urgent.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by nicolet; 09-03-2013 at 12:39 PM.
nicolet is offline   Reply With Quote
reves_casses Female
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 09-03-2013 Default Help Needed In Deciding A Course

I've just finished my Edexcel A-level course, and recently got my results which are terrible. BCD in Chemistry, Maths and Biology respectively. I wish to further my studies in Education, however my prospects of entering any universities seem poor due to my results. I cannot enter any local universities as they do not accept A levels. I do not have the financial means to pursue my education in universities overseas.

I would appreciate your help and opinions in the courses that I could do, and suggestions of universities that may accept me. I really need the help as I do not know what to do.

I am also interested in Psychology, Dietetics, Mass communication as well...

Any suggestions to what else I could do?

Thank you.
reves_casses is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#3 Old 09-03-2013 Default Re: Help Needed In Deciding A Course

Mod note: Similar threads merged. I understand that the requests might be urgent, however it does take time for people to notice the threads and put up a response. Therefore, please refrain from posting the same thread again. At most, you can bump a topic to gain attention.

Let us dissect your problem into smaller pieces:

1. You took A-Levels, so IPTA is out of the question.
2. You can't afford to study overseas, so IPTS would be your only options.
3. You want to go into Education, but if you wish to be a teacher, you can still undergo Education courses which will train you to be a good Chemistry or English (TESL) teacher. However, the problem is that Education graduates from IPTS might find it very difficult to secure a job in the government sector, although I stand corrected.
4. Psychology and Dietetics may involve Biology to a certain degree. You can still try applying into those programmes in whatever IPTS that offers such courses, but a D in Biology doesn't reflect well.
5. You're also interested in Mass Communication. That doesn't involve Biology, and they might just accept your Chemistry and Maths for admission (even though they might be unrelated to Mass Communication). You can truly consider applying for that course in any IPTS that offers them. I don't know which IPTS offers Mass Communication, but if I were you, I would just search around in MMU, UCSI, UTAR, UNISEL, UNITEN, etc. just to name a few.

As for the financial part, you could see whether you would be able to secure a PTPTN loan. You'll need to check on PTPTN requirements as well then.
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 13-03-2013 Default Re: Help Needed In Deciding A Course

Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated. I will look into the schools you have suggested.
reves_casses is offline   Reply With Quote