ReCom.org
Window to the World Discussions of global issues and latest news.

Foreign workers

CrAzyCow
Super Junior Member

#11 Old 15-11-2003 Default

As long as they are peaceful workers i dun mind.
CrAzyCow is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#12 Old 15-11-2003 Default

i would think that Malaysians that go overseas to work, should go overseas legally. By trying to do it illegally, it would cause a lot of repercussions to the whole country as a whole. It would tarnish the good names of our country. Although a lot of times, those who do that, may have not much avenue, I still think that we should strongly discourage it and if possible, try to eliminate it!
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
eeyore
Less Junior Member

#13 Old 16-11-2003 Default

Well, my brother is actually working for Panasonic, a Japanese company in Malaysia. A lot of workers there are Japanese, and I've never heard from my brother anything about those workers creating trouble in or out of the work place. On the contrary, he tells stories about how we can learn so much from their way of thinking and work attitude. So, while it is true that some of the foreign workers may be involved in negative activities here (remember that some of them come from poor countries with a high crime rate), we must also think about those who come here to earn a honest living and how we can actually learn from their culture/work habits.
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#14 Old 16-11-2003 Default

I think basically there are 2 categories of foreign formers, kind of a sweeping generalization, but one group would be those skilled foreign talents, especially those engineers etc in Panasonic and other high-technology facilities.

On the other hand, we have a lot of foreign workers, who work at various manufacturing, consturction, plantation etc, to make ends meet at their home. In a sense, they fill up our job market. Without these workers, our construction plant would have to shut off by half, many manufacturing plant would not be able to go ahead etc... So, I guess we are in a dilemma.

I believe that the current process of attracting top talents, especially for those MSC and Biovalley related companies are good way, but we should find a way to bring up the value chain in other sectors to create more high quality job...
joseph173
Super Junior Member

#15 Old 16-11-2003 Default r we superior?

When we're talking about " foreign workers", do u still remember we are foreigners too!

I think most of the concerns are about our own interest. Some people just want to get the most out of the foreign worker...

If u talk about humanity, our country, apparentlly Malaysia isn't mature.
Foreign wokers in malaysia don't have equal human rights in malaysia.
Being nice to them( in terms not manner, polite..) is just not enough.
Do u know the difference between right and grace????

We have great improvement in Asia, in terms of economy. but seems we have lost the most fundamental, the foundation, the==== Humanity.

Please don't be selfish.
joseph173 is offline   Reply With Quote
royston

#16 Old 16-11-2003 Default

Well Joseph, yeah ... I agree with you. What do you suggest that things we need improvement in terms of Humanity?

~ roy ~
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#17 Old 16-11-2003 Default

yeah, i agree that we still lack in terms of humanity and we should work hard on it.. As we are progressing, a lot of those Eastern culture seems to distance ourselves,.... Lets discuss this issue on another forum...

On foreign workers, i agree that they are not being treated well in most places in the world. If we look at those Malaysians who work across the Causeway, they do not have a nice lifestyle... Leaving for work at 5am, 6am, getting stuck in traffic jams, and then after work, get stuck in another traffic jams, reaching home late at night, just in time to have a few hours of sleep for the next day...

Is this the lifestyle that those Malaysians who work in Singapore as foreign workers want? Don't overlook that matter, we have about 300,000 Malaysians doing that on a daily basis...
Schye Male
Veteran N00b

#18 Old 16-11-2003 Default

I think those who come to work with a visa will be trated well and the problems will be those who come illegally.
Apparently they are being treated unfair and being manipulated because they can even say NO ot they will be reportted to the police. That is what i was trying to bring out by telling the stories of a few friends that i have met in Tokyo.
Those elite are of course will eb treated well as the company need them while in the other hand , those illegal incomers can be sacked any time if the ask for a raise in the pay.

Any idea to solve this? (well, the best way maybe having only those with visa to work but the reality is that its impossible)

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
Schye is offline   Reply With Quote
joseph173
Super Junior Member

#19 Old 21-11-2003 Default It works!

I'm so glad there are still some humanity here!
If we continue to grow in a good way, I believe Malaysia will achieve high status. It is because self realization is the first step to start doing the right thing.
Remember during the 50s,60s, Japanese public has work together with the government to thrive the economy, it was because they realized their situation after WWII.

Remember Rome. It was a great empire. At that time nobody thinks it would fail. But it did. They had good citizens and good people to spread the good news like what u guys r doing too.

Time is a concern. Hopefully we r not too late.

Having humanity is not only something to show off, it actually helps us.
THanks guys!
joseph173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Chyi
Super Junior Member

#20 Old 21-11-2003 Default

From the opinions I read from everybody, I can see that foreign workers not really enjoying themselves so much working overseas. (they work in other countries for money or look for some change in current life)

I think I'll have more satisfaction working in my own country for my people.
anyway, from a view of human resource, companies can reduce their budget by employing this foreign workers, and sometimes they do help to develop our country.
I saw a TV programme yesterday night. big companies like Sony, they are training their workers, giving them good training and education, hope that they will become new leaders in the company. this is the Japanese system, they expect their workers are going to work in their firm and loyal to their company until they retire and that's why they pay so much effort to train them.
I was thinking, if foreign students like me get a job and work in those companies, will they give me such good treatment?
Chyi is offline   Reply With Quote