ReCom.org
Window to the World Discussions of global issues and latest news.

Foreign workers

sueyi
Super Junior Member

#31 Old 06-02-2004 Default

I think this is a very interesting topic ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by __earth
talking about how foreigners are stealing local job is unfair.

It's all about laissez faire. Adapt or die.
You can't blame the foreigners for getting local jobs while the local themselves are busy with hip hop and god knows what else.

The foreigners, illegal or not deserve it simply because they work for it.
I agree with him. I think if we believe that open market is a system that works then having foreigners 'stealing' jobs in our country is inevitable, as long as the standard of living is different enough. Intelligence doesn't differenciate by race or nationality either, they may be working very bad jobs today but their children could be successful and well educated and contribute a lot to our community. This is how our country became a multi-racial multi-ethnic group in the first place. I'm not saying that I think our government should open the doors for anybody and everybody to come in ... we should only hire from outside what we need and what we can afford. (If local unemployment is too high, then not enough consumers to feed our economy, because I think at least initially foreign workers tend to send money out ... can't do this) For example, I think we can say our country currently needs the foreign construction workers and it does us good to hire them. How it changes future dynamics of our society, we have to accept that too!

Just my 2 cents ...
sueyi is offline   Reply With Quote
masdie

#32 Old 09-01-2006 Default

I have a question to those in Germany, France, Korea and Japan. Are there many foreigners in your place? Do you see many Asians, Blacks and Arabians around?
masdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thirdshifter
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#33 Old 09-01-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueyi
I think this is a very interesting topic ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by __earth
talking about how foreigners are stealing local job is unfair.

It's all about laissez faire. Adapt or die.
You can't blame the foreigners for getting local jobs while the local themselves are busy with hip hop and god knows what else.

The foreigners, illegal or not deserve it simply because they work for it.
I agree with him. I think if we believe that open market is a system that works then having foreigners 'stealing' jobs in our country is inevitable, as long as the standard of living is different enough. Intelligence doesn't differenciate by race or nationality either, they may be working very bad jobs today but their children could be successful and well educated and contribute a lot to our community...
I disagree. Immigration should be made legally. No if or buts. Why should we make exceptions?

I have no problem with immigration but do it legally even if its a pain in the ass. No one should be above law.
Thirdshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
koopai
Super Junior Member

#34 Old 09-01-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdie
I have a question to those in Germany, France, Korea and Japan. Are there many foreigners in your place? Do you see many Asians, Blacks and Arabians around?
In France, yes.
koopai is offline   Reply With Quote
Schye Male
Veteran N00b

#35 Old 10-01-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdie
The same goes to Japan. While we are complaining about illegal immigrant workers in Malaysia, Malaysia is ranked 5ft in the number of foreigners illegally over-staying in Japan (who came to Japan legally).

Click to see the data for year 2005.

Agree with Third. We cant let the "market" to decide everything as the market serves only towards "effectiveness" while there are other factors that we need to put into considerations.

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
Schye is offline   Reply With Quote
kintaro_kun
Slightly Senior Member

#36 Old 10-01-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schye

The same goes to Japan. While we are complaining about illegal immigrant workers in Malaysia, Malaysia is ranked 5ft in the number of foreigners illegally over-staying in Japan (who came to Japan legally).

wow, really man, we're just behind the koreans, chinese, philipinos and thais, according to your list. but with just around 200000 foreign immigrants per 127mil japanese , this pales the 1-2million per 23mil citizens in m'sia.
Slightly Senior Member

#37 Old 10-01-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schye

wow, really man, we're just behind the koreans, chinese, philipinos and thais, according to your list. but with just around 200000 foreign immigrants per 127mil japanese , this pales in comparison with the 1-2million per 23mil citizens in m'sia.