ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

What you don't like about Malaysia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 533
  #401 Old 17-06-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
The one who proudly attributes Projek Khinzir Raksasa as PKR, only to fight back furiously when someone else shouted out that Projek Babi Negara is PBN?

Brilliant!
The one and the same.
You would expect someone from a cultured upbringing, someone as high-profile as him, someone who studied PPE at Oxford to have at least some humility (or common sense) instilled in him..
Sigh.. I shall remind myself to stop harbouring such lofty hopes when it comes to Malaysian politicians.
__________________
Inspire and be inspired.
Young is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator
 
henry_yew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
  #402 Old 18-06-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
The one and the same.
You would expect someone from a cultured upbringing, someone as high-profile as him, someone who studied PPE at Oxford to have at least some humility (or common sense) instilled in him..
Sigh.. I shall remind myself to stop harbouring such lofty hopes when it comes to Malaysian politicians.
Well, does he have cultured upbringing to begin with? And with all the Oxford thing around him, nothing much has got into his noggin' except for Projek Khinzir Raksasa, Projek Babi Negara, etc. etc.
__________________
[]
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
louis8_8wang Male
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 80
  #403 Old 19-06-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

I will love Malaysia when I don't need to be frown with the unfair institution of the government. As a student, I always confuse and worry about my education because I don't which road I suppose to choose.

The education system is not clear and disclosed in particular department. For an instance, I got JPA shcolarship for studying Science in UPM. I attempt to find out what exactly I have get as we all known foundation in science can lead to "sains pertanian" , "komputer sains" and It can also lead to medicine but no one of them have given me a satisfied answer. I just received a call just now from the PSD,they informed me about the registration date. Again I asked them and came out with same answer.

Haiz, these is my perspective of viewing this issue as a student.
__________________
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
louis8_8wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor
 
Boyz_Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,294
  #404 Old 19-06-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis8_8wang View Post
I will love Malaysia when I don't need to be frown with the unfair institution of the government. As a student, I always confuse and worry about my education because I don't which road I suppose to choose.

The education system is not clear and disclosed in particular department. For an instance, I got JPA shcolarship for studying Science in UPM. I attempt to find out what exactly I have get as we all known foundation in science can lead to "sains pertanian" , "komputer sains" and It can also lead to medicine but no one of them have given me a satisfied answer. I just received a call just now from the PSD,they informed me about the registration date. Again I asked them and came out with same answer.

Haiz, these is my perspective of viewing this issue as a student.
You are right but it is the JPA operators' fault. JPA hired them to answer the general questions like how to fill up the form, when the results coming out and so on. Those operators don't have much knowledge of the course and how is being conducted. What the JPA operators did wrong is when they are not sure with the answer, they will either guess or say don't know instead of asking their superior officers about it. This is main reason we can't actually get the answer we want and sometimes get different answers for the similar questions. Basically, the adminstration has to be revamped.
__________________
Feel free to join The Spammers Association while you are still in ReCom. You'll get to spam a lot and also meet a lot of people here. :)
Boyz_Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
digimushu Male
Prototyper
 
digimushu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,191
  #405 Old 07-07-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

So... I just got back from visiting Malaysia after 4 years of being away and thought that I'd give my opinion of the comparison of Malaysia (Kuching and KL) vs Singapore.

Thoughts on Kuching:

Nothing much has changed within the last 4 years, aside from more kopitiams and shop lots being built. Minor changes in landscape resulting from the construction of interchanges. Even the CLL buses are the same buses that i took as a secondary school student. Pace of of life is sooo slooow. Cannot stand how complacent and apathetic people are back home. House prices still unrealistically high. I am expecting the bubble to burst in a few years when people cannot afford to pay their house loans anymore and choose to default. In comparison to singaporeans and KL people, Sarawakians are still very "swakoo" an still do dumb things to public infrastructure (i.e; never flush toilets after use, and stand on toilet seats), even in the new airport. People in Kuching seem to be apathetic and oblivious to the fact that their economic growth is unsustainable. I did not feel safe in the city at night, but OK in daylight. Signs of corruption are obvious and opportunities are limited.

Thoughts on KL:

Pace of life is faster than Kuching, even to the point that people are reckless. The way things are, everything is chaotic because there is no system put in place to govern good use of infrastructure (i.e.; monorail and LRT). Crime rate is very high. Always scared that i will be pick pocketed or robbed. It is visible that the economy is very artificial. There is a lot of signs of wastage and cover up in everything public. An example of this is the fact that the improvements done on the Monorail system are all cosmetic (such as replacement of floor tiles), and non-performance related (such as adding more trains to the monorail, and adding a downwards-going escalator to help people with heavy luggages to travel or even making the place accesible to disabled people on wheelchairs). Needless to say, lots of shortsightedness. Food is more expensive than the last time i went there, and the services in all the places i went to is definitely terrible. I really do not know how long the government can keep pumping money to sustain the economy artificially. Signs of corruption are obvious, and corruption is a way of life because of the institutionalized racism. We even fakap corruption, and cant even do that right.

Thoughts on SG:

Pace of life is as fast as KL, but things are not chaotic. Even their mess is orderly. There is a system in place for all the amenities, and civicmindedness is observed. There is consideration for disabled people, and the infrastructure is complete, not half-heartedly put in place such as in Malaysia. Education system is changed, less rote memorization, and more critical thinking requirements are put in place. There is definitely more dynamic economy, with many opportunity. Price of food is commensurative with pay, unlike KL. Corruption is very well veiled, and in someways legalized, but results are satisfactory. Singapore is very safe. Singaporeans in general look down on Malaysians, and look up to caucasians. So far, that is my only peeve abt SG.

General Comparison:
Apparently the world has been moving ahead and we have been standing still. Just crossing the border, you can see the difference between SG and MY. We complain that the government fail to make big enough drains for the prevention of flash floods, yet we keep throwing garbage into the drains and block the flow of water and cause the floods ourselves. In general, there is a neccesary paradigm shift in Malaysia, from the "ME" to the "US" as we have to realize that every single one of us can make a difference. From an economic standpoint, the Malaysian society is an example of Adam Smith's invisible hand theory gone wrong. I can see that the malaysian economy is very artificially propped up by the government. Even though i do understand that this will reduce the crime rate in general, the growth rate is unsustainable, and proves a serious denial in our acceptance of our current economic status. Our concepts are great, but we often fail in execution because of corruption and other incompetence-related issues. I'm not just commenting on the somewhat poor governance of the country, but also on the mentality of Malaysians as a whole. The system in Malaysia fails because Malaysians fail to adopt the right attitude in many circumstances. It fails because of all of us. Granted, many will think that it is unfair for me to say all these, but I am convinced that many Malaysians (all races) prefer the status quo over any change for fear of the result of the change. Malaysians who want change must take that step and leap off the branch, so that we can flap our wings and soar higher. Is this possible in the near future? I let you be the judge.
__________________
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, a great many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Join the Engineering SIG!
digimushu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to digimushu For This Useful Post:
SapphireDragon Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
SapphireDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 593
  #406 Old 07-07-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimushu View Post
So... I just got back from visiting Malaysia after 4 years of being away and thought that I'd give my opinion of the comparison of Malaysia (Kuching and KL) vs Singapore.

Thoughts on Kuching:

Nothing much has changed within the last 4 years, aside from more kopitiams and shop lots being built. Minor changes in landscape resulting from the construction of interchanges. Even the CLL buses are the same buses that i took as a secondary school student. Pace of of life is sooo slooow. Cannot stand how complacent and apathetic people are back home. House prices still unrealistically high. I am expecting the bubble to burst in a few years when people cannot afford to pay their house loans anymore and choose to default. In comparison to singaporeans and KL people, Sarawakians are still very "swakoo" an still do dumb things to public infrastructure (i.e; never flush toilets after use, and stand on toilet seats), even in the new airport. People in Kuching seem to be apathetic and oblivious to the fact that their economic growth is unsustainable. I did not feel safe in the city at night, but OK in daylight. Signs of corruption are obvious and opportunities are limited.

Thoughts on KL:

Pace of life is faster than Kuching, even to the point that people are reckless. The way things are, everything is chaotic because there is no system put in place to govern good use of infrastructure (i.e.; monorail and LRT). Crime rate is very high. Always scared that i will be pick pocketed or robbed. It is visible that the economy is very artificial. There is a lot of signs of wastage and cover up in everything public. An example of this is the fact that the improvements done on the Monorail system are all cosmetic (such as replacement of floor tiles), and non-performance related (such as adding more trains to the monorail, and adding a downwards-going escalator to help people with heavy luggages to travel or even making the place accesible to disabled people on wheelchairs). Needless to say, lots of shortsightedness. Food is more expensive than the last time i went there, and the services in all the places i went to is definitely terrible. I really do not know how long the government can keep pumping money to sustain the economy artificially. Signs of corruption are obvious, and corruption is a way of life because of the institutionalized racism. We even fakap corruption, and cant even do that right.

Thoughts on SG:

Pace of life is as fast as KL, but things are not chaotic. Even their mess is orderly. There is a system in place for all the amenities, and civicmindedness is observed. There is consideration for disabled people, and the infrastructure is complete, not half-heartedly put in place such as in Malaysia. Education system is changed, less rote memorization, and more critical thinking requirements are put in place. There is definitely more dynamic economy, with many opportunity. Price of food is commensurative with pay, unlike KL. Corruption is very well veiled, and in someways legalized, but results are satisfactory. Singapore is very safe. Singaporeans in general look down on Malaysians, and look up to caucasians. So far, that is my only peeve abt SG.

General Comparison:
Apparently the world has been moving ahead and we have been standing still. Just crossing the border, you can see the difference between SG and MY. We complain that the government fail to make big enough drains for the prevention of flash floods, yet we keep throwing garbage into the drains and block the flow of water and cause the floods ourselves. In general, there is a neccesary paradigm shift in Malaysia, from the "ME" to the "US" as we have to realize that every single one of us can make a difference. From an economic standpoint, the Malaysian society is an example of Adam Smith's invisible hand theory gone wrong. I can see that the malaysian economy is very artificially propped up by the government. Even though i do understand that this will reduce the crime rate in general, the growth rate is unsustainable, and proves a serious denial in our acceptance of our current economic status. Our concepts are great, but we often fail in execution because of corruption and other incompetence-related issues. I'm not just commenting on the somewhat poor governance of the country, but also on the mentality of Malaysians as a whole. The system in Malaysia fails because Malaysians fail to adopt the right attitude in many circumstances. It fails because of all of us. Granted, many will think that it is unfair for me to say all these, but I am convinced that many Malaysians (all races) prefer the status quo over any change for fear of the result of the change. Malaysians who want change must take that step and leap off the branch, so that we can flap our wings and soar higher. Is this possible in the near future? I let you be the judge.
Although I don't know much about economics and social stuff like that, I think it is not quite appropriate to compare Kuching or even the other remote parts of Malaysia to Singapore. The magnitude of land area in Malaysia is far bigger than tiny Singapore. How can you expect the government to develop every inch of Malaysia's land? Yes, I do not deny our economy is not the strongest in the Asian region but even if we have a budget 3 times more than today, I do not think it is quite enough for high level development. Singapore is small and with its solid economy, it is way way easier for development, projects, beautification and so on. Just my two cents worth
__________________
"A pessimist sees the diffculty in every opportunity, but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty".

Be an optimist and enjoy life!

Visit my blog.
SapphireDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
digimushu Male
Prototyper
 
digimushu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,191
  #407 Old 08-07-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

Lets put it this way, I see Sarawak as the richest state in Malaysia, which is being bled dry by mismanagement. The distribution of the profits from oil and timber from sarawak should be more than enough to fund some development in both sides in Malaysia. A 50-50 split should be executed, where if the money from sarawak is used to fund the building of a monorail in KL, the same amount should be invested in similar infrastructure in Kuching. Right now i see the split as 95-5, in favor of west Malaysia.

BTW, Kuching is no backwater rural town. Kuching is the biggest city in east Malaysia. In my opinion, Kuching should be as developed as KL, primarily because of the fact that most of the oil, timber and gas came from Sarawak. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The buses a least should be upgraded to air con coaches, and not the minibus-type crap that you see on the road. It is definitely disappointing to see that kuching still remained the same after 10 years, with no serious noticable improvement in infrastructure. In fact, considering that most of the natural resources used to develop Malaysia come from Sarawak, I find it unacceptable.
__________________
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, a great many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Join the Engineering SIG!
digimushu is offline   Reply With Quote
kintaro_kun
Slightly Senior Member
 
kintaro_kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 750
  #408 Old 20-08-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

sabah and sarawak are modern day colonies of peninsula msia. maybe after we've sucked you dry of your resources, you can get your independence.
__________________
What good fortune for governments that the people do not think. - Adolf Hitler
kintaro_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator
 
vseehua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,883
  #409 Old 23-08-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimushu View Post
Lets put it this way, I see Sarawak as the richest state in Malaysia, which is being bled dry by mismanagement. The distribution of the profits from oil and timber from sarawak should be more than enough to fund some development in both sides in Malaysia. A 50-50 split should be executed, where if the money from sarawak is used to fund the building of a monorail in KL, the same amount should be invested in similar infrastructure in Kuching. Right now i see the split as 95-5, in favor of west Malaysia.

BTW, Kuching is no backwater rural town. Kuching is the biggest city in east Malaysia. In my opinion, Kuching should be as developed as KL, primarily because of the fact that most of the oil, timber and gas came from Sarawak. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The buses a least should be upgraded to air con coaches, and not the minibus-type crap that you see on the road. It is definitely disappointing to see that kuching still remained the same after 10 years, with no serious noticable improvement in infrastructure. In fact, considering that most of the natural resources used to develop Malaysia come from Sarawak, I find it unacceptable.
A sad but true statement. It always saddens me to see our money being used to develop west Malaysia, instead of being funneled back to develop Sarawak more.

Many would argue that more of the money should be used to develop economic powerhouses like Kuala Lumpur and Penang more. But seeing the money comes from us, it is only fair that we get our fair share. Sarawak has great potential to be developed, with vast wide lands for agricultural and industrial purposes, and spreading development over more areas will bring more benefit as it will not get overcrowded like in Kuala Lumpur nowadays
__________________
"Never argue with an idiot (or a troll)… they’ll just drag you down to their level and beat you to a pulp with their experience." -Internet 1:1

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by vseehua; 23-08-2009 at 11:25 AM.
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
Schye Male
Veteran N00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 849
  #410 Old 25-08-2009 Default Re: What you don't like about Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireDragon View Post
Although I don't know much about economics and social stuff like that, I think it is not quite appropriate to compare Kuching or even the other remote parts of Malaysia to Singapore. The magnitude of land area in Malaysia is far bigger than tiny Singapore. How can you expect the government to develop every inch of Malaysia's land? Yes, I do not deny our economy is not the strongest in the Asian region but even if we have a budget 3 times more than today, I do not think it is quite enough for high level development. Singapore is small and with its solid economy, it is way way easier for development, projects, beautification and so on. Just my two cents worth
Yes, we should not compare Spore with any places in Malaysia because they have no timber, no oil and no water.
Malaysia is INcomparable with Spore from any aspect.

=======================

I went to Sabah 2 weeks ago, spent some time in Nexus just to actually see how good is the services in Malaysia. I was surprised that Malaysia in fact have good services too, but unfortunately you have to pay USD for that. Despite of the $$, other than oil and the brand as one of the most developed Islamic country, tourism is the way to go.
__________________
-=BSURSICUB4=-

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
Schye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
malaysia

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.15203 seconds with 16 queries