ReCom.org
Japanese Manga and Anime Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, and so on.

luke Male
KittyLover
Administrator

#271 Old 11-06-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikiraz View Post
heehee its okay i understand that wakatta.oh wow. x.x thats long....are ur teachers japanese??
yup, all the teachers that taught my japanese courses are all japanese. So I actually learned from native speakers. Kinda grateful for that since rather than learning the vocab and grammar superficially, I learned and comprehended their literal meanings/concepts. For example, rather than memorizing that 'ohayou gozaimasu' means 'good morning', i learned that it actually means "it's early" in polite expression. So, I know that I can't use that greeting if it's 11am since it's no longer 'early'; those who learned 'ohayou gozaimasu' means 'good morning' won't probably know this caveat.

#272 Old 27-06-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
yup, all the teachers that taught my japanese courses are all japanese. So I actually learned from native speakers. Kinda grateful for that since rather than learning the vocab and grammar superficially, I learned and comprehended their literal meanings/concepts. For example, rather than memorizing that 'ohayou gozaimasu' means 'good morning', i learned that it actually means "it's early" in polite expression. So, I know that I can't use that greeting if it's 11am since it's no longer 'early'; those who learned 'ohayou gozaimasu' means 'good morning' won't probably know this caveat.
i was never taught like that>.<but i kind of figured it out myself later when i started learning the different polite forms bla bla-.-it is pretty complicated in a way.with certain ppl u have to use certain words.like with ur superiors, u have to use different phrasing when u address them
nikiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
luke Male
KittyLover
Administrator

#273 Old 27-06-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikiraz View Post
i was never taught like that>.<but i kind of figured it out myself later when i started learning the different polite forms bla bla-.-it is pretty complicated in a way.with certain ppl u have to use certain words.like with ur superiors, u have to use different phrasing when u address them
Yes, when you delve into the polite expressions etc, it's a different ball game altogether. It is not just about who is superior who is not, or who is older and who is younger but the rules are more complex than that. When I was learning japanese, there is a special topic that taught me about the social structure of japanese culture and its influence on the japanese expressions.

Apart from seniority, another aspect that influences your choice of expressions is in-group versus out-group. First question is, what are those? As you might have known, Japanese and Asians in general put much emphasis on the sense and spirit of belonging to communities. Especially in communications, you need to be aware of which group you belong to and which group the other person belongs to, and adjust your language and action accordingly.

Let's illustrate this using examples. First a simple and well-known one:
  1. When you call your mother, you say "okaa-san"
  2. When talk about someone else's mother, you use "okaa-san".
  3. But when you talk about your own mother, you use "haha".
Why the differences? In (1), you and your mother are in different group so the out-group expression "okaa-san" is used. Similar with 2, you and that someone else's mother are in different group so "okaa-san" is used. But in 3, you and your mother is in the same group so you use in-group expression "haha". But you might ask, what's the difference between 1 and 3, since both are about you and your own mother. The difference is in the POV of the other party, that is the person you are talking with. In 1, you talk to your mother, thus you form a group of yourself and your mother forms a group of herself. But in 3, your mother is neither a part of the group you are in nor the group the person you talk with is in. In this case, your mother will default into your group, and thus you are to use the in-group expression for her. Sounds complex enough? But that's the simplest example. We haven't seen the one when you drop off the -san from the end of the name yet.

#274 Old 27-06-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

Luke, u r very experienced in nihongo! How did u study in the beginning (from zero) Now i'm in grammar learning and always have a hard time trying to differenciate <が> and <は> particles. =(
口ずさんだ 帰り道…………
JenJen is offline   Reply With Quote
luke Male
KittyLover
Administrator

#275 Old 29-06-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
Luke, u r very experienced in nihongo! How did u study in the beginning (from zero) Now i'm in grammar learning and always have a hard time trying to differenciate <が> and <は> particles. =(
Perhaps you can refer to my post @ http://www.recom.org/forum/showpost....&postcount=262

A bit elaboration from there:

Let's say we are talking about a number of boxes containing an animal each when someone holds one of them and asks "what is this ?". You would answer "kore wa neko desu" ... "this is a cat". Notice that the topic of the conversation is about the box (this). The cat describes "this".

Let's say we are still talking about a number of boxes containing an animal each and you are being asked which one is a cat. You would answer "kore ga neko desu" ... "this is the cat" (in spoken english you vocally emphasize the "this" part). This time the topic of the conversation is about the cat. The box (this) describes the cat.

For simple sentences, most of the time you can re-arrange the sentences to switch from が and は. Example:

これが猫です。 kore ga neko desu.
猫はこれです。 neko wa kore desu.

#276 Old 03-08-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

Hi Luke,
It seems that you havent lost your touch huh ^ ^
This is my first time of knowing the reason behind why a person is calling his own mother "Okaa-san".

Raisyuu kara issyuukann "Sabah" ni ryokou shini ikimasu!
Hisashiburi no mare-sia de,
tanoshimi ni shiteimasu.

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
Schye is offline   Reply With Quote
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#277 Old 03-08-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schye View Post
Raisyuu kara issyuukann "Sabah" ni ryokou shini ikimasu!
Hisashiburi no mare-sia de,
tanoshimi ni shiteimasu.
I'm trying to guess these sentences..

Starting next week, I will be to Sabah for one week?
Malaysia that I've not seen for a long time, looking forward to it?

Sorry for blind attempt, I just pick up few words from dramas and animes, never take a proper lesson before.

Miracles happen everyday
Miracle_seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Schye Male
Veteran N00b

#278 Old 23-09-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

Perfect Miracle!

Sabah was great!
Mare-sia mo mada mada miryokuteki na tokoro ippai arimasune

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
Schye is offline   Reply With Quote
jaan43 Female
Super Junior Member

#279 Old 29-09-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

minna san..
hajimemashite..
k0k0 watashi wa atarashii hit0 desu..

hehe..i just started to learn nih0ng0 last year n i dunn0 if i used the correct grammar up there..
nih0ng0 ga muzukashidesuga,tan0shikatta!!..
luking 4ward to learn other words in nih0ng0..
0negaishimasu...
jaan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
luke Male
KittyLover
Administrator

#280 Old 01-10-2009 Default Re: Nihongo anyone? part 3

Exploring my old thumbdrive, I rediscovered some of the essays that I wrote for my Japanese class back in college. So here I'm sharing one of them:

お祖母さんの木炭コンロ

「おいしいか」
久しぶりに僕が元気なお祖母さんの家に訪ねた午後、突然に窓に凭れて入相を眺めていたお祖母さんは言い出し た。僕は床に座り、お祖母さんの家のすぐそばにある木から取ったマンゴーを皮剥いたり食べたりしに夢中して いた。
「超おいしい。お祖母さんも食べてよ」
「いいわ。お祖母さんはいつでも食べれるし、君も滅多に来ないからたくさん食べなさい」
「食べとる」
お祖母さんのマンゴーは最高、と思い込み、剥き溜まったマンゴーの皮の小山をナイロンバッグに 積み込んだ。
「これ、捨てるけどゴミ箱は」
「あそこ。木炭コンロの隣」
例の木炭コンロは木造の小さなテーブルのようで、上面は少し窪み、砂が入っている。僕はナイロンバッグを捨 てた、木炭コンロの隣のゴミ箱に。
「今もまだ使ってるの、この木炭コンロ」と聞いたばかりだけれども、台所の周りに見てガスコンロなど見当た らないと答えはもう分かった。
「え?何?あ、木炭コンロか。まだ使ってるわ。朝ごはんの用意から真夜中のコーヒーまでもそれ で出来てる」
「へえ、使いにくくないの?ガスコンロの方が楽なんじゃない」
「ハハハ。そうねえ。楽で使いやすいねえ、ガスコンロは」
「うん」
笑ったお祖母さんはまだ窓に凭れていたが、先に外を見ている姿勢から僕の方に振り向いた。
お祖母さんの背中に黄色い太陽が眩しかった。
「でもね、楽じゃないからこそいいものも世界にはたくさんあるよ」
「え。どういうこと、お祖母さん」
十六歳の僕はあんなに複雑な謹厳が分からなかった。あるいは言葉の意味を想像できたのに想像しなくて直接に お祖母さんの口から聞きたかった。お祖母さんはすぐには返信していなかった。
「今日の晩ご飯、何にしようか?せっかく君のお父さんが鶏肉をもって来たから」
「カレー」
「よし。カレーにしよう。でも、状態がひとつある」
「それは」
「手伝いなさい」
「リョウカイ」
そのままで僕らは晩ご飯を用意し始めた。
「火を付け」
「ロジャー。で、どうやって付くの」
僕は木炭コンロがガスコンロのようなスウィッチがないことと気づいた。
「ハハハ。まずは、木炭コンロの下にある木炭を上に置き、紙の一枚に火を付きなさい」
割り木を上に置いて、紙に火を付いた。