ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Lament of a Kampung Boy

digimushu Male
Prototyper

#1 Old 09-12-2004 Default Lament of a Kampung Boy

I read this on MalaysiaKini:

http://www3.malaysiakini.com/letters/27962

and i thought i might share...

Quote:
With regard to my stand on the NEP/NDP, I believe those who have not benefitted by it have the right to voice against it (although it is meaningless if you do not vote). As someone who benefitted from the policy, I will defend it as much and as long as I can.

It is big advantage for me in this cruel, capitalistic society. I will give up the NEP only if the Chinese are willing to give dissolve the Chinese Chambers of Commerce, the Hokkien Association, the Fukkien Association and all other association that were formed with the sole purpose of providing economic and political advantages to a single group (just like the NEP).

I will give up NEP if every capital-rich individual is willing to give up their advantages, if all the Lim Goh Tongs, Daims and Krishnans give up their material wealth so that we can all compete on a level-playing field.

I will give up the business quota system if non-bumi employers are willing to hire based on merits rather than on the pre-notion of non-bumi superiority.

And one more thing. I will trade in my NEP if the non-bumis are willing to trade in, acre-for-acre, their high priced city real estate with my native kampung real estate. They are both equally as old but it just happens that mine is only accessible by plane.

The problem with people like SK Wong and LCH is their lack of respect for the bumiputera. They have a built-in notion that non-bumis are mentally superior and that all hard-working non-bumi students who get good grades should be rewarded.

These are people who are refusing to see that people of all races work just as hard and that perhaps certain races (or individuals) are better in education because of their advantageous access to perks such as the Internet, libraries, tuition money, good schools, teachers and parents.

So should those who are comparatively disadvantaged be denied the right to better education just because of lower grades?

For example, it is a fact that people in the city do better than those in the kampung. So should students in rural areas be denied access to medical and engineering courses just because they have one A lesser in the SPM or STPM?
Any thoughts on this?

*duck and cover*
jiinjoo Male
Anchors

#2 Old 09-12-2004 Default

Heh, lots

The chamber of commerce is actually a good thing, eventhough it keeps one race rich. If there's something to be done, it is to empower the other "chamber of commerce" in other groups, or better still have inter-racial groups that are, say, localized to their region. Is there a Sarawak Development Union of something like that?

Business is about coorperation - you learn it and do it, and don't expect people to help you. If you're behind you catch up. You take risks, no risk no gain. If you don't like this, die, and hopefully reborn in the next world, which is ruled by communism.

Ok, enough harsh words to get people's attention. I don't blame this person for saying that - afterall, it's a known fact that we collect taxes from all over the country to feed the city more than the country side. The new focus on argiculture might enrich the farmers a little more instead of having them move to cities.

Some of the point they brought up are just an equal and opposite reaction: If there was never a group set up "by law" to protect a particular group, the other group won't have an equal and opposite reaction of forming such a group. It's people's reaction to "gang up". Even if you switch this discussion away from race, there's going to be the same tension between the rich and poor, the kampung and the city, what have you. The government's role is to make sure different groups in the country gets their fair share of benefits. And it's the people in the group itself to help one another achieve happiness and prosperity.

If there's some "disrespect" for bumis from some people, it simply reflects their own personal experience dealing with them. If the bumis that they interacted with are simply not up to his standards, then he's going to make such a comment, and that's a perfectly fair way to stereotype. Who doesn't stereotype in this world?

Quote:
So should those who are comparatively disadvantaged be denied the right to better education just because of lower grades?
Yes, if "disadvantaged" means being lazy and not studying, not doing their exercises. No, if "disadvantaged" means poor, no good teachers, no good books and references, have to keep family alive.

So unless you're saying that the government has been putting all their resources (mind you, education is supposed to be equal for the first 10 to 12 years of school, and that's the reight thing to do) to educating only the students in the city, then yes, something is gotta be done. However, the more common case is that the city dwellers have a better notion of what it means to fair well in the exam system. They not only have access to the modern facilities, some who are sponsored by the families of these kids themselves, they also have more entrepreunial people that runs their own tuition centers, giving them even more exposure and training to face the system that builds our nation - SPM for example. No one can blame parents for wanting their kid to succeed.

I can easily raise an example where the system actually encourage kampung boys to go to school - the geographical quota. Every year, some city dwellers will head back to the kampung they came from and use that addres to apply for entry to the University. The local univeristies, in order to promote diversity, has chosen to reserve places from every part of the country. So if I were to study locally, it's much easier for me to get into UM if I apply using my Kampung Pasu in Kuala Kangsar address, then my Damansara Jaya in Petaling Jaya address. So it "one less A" the only criteria, no. That's so far only true for JPA scholarships, and I hope that can change soon too.

*pulls digimushu out of hiding*
jiinjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jiinjoo For This Useful Post:
raizz
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 09-12-2004 Default

Great opinion there jinjoo, but I have to say that I might disagree on certain matters regarding this issue. I totally agree with the fact that its the government's role to fairly distribute wealth geographically and not according to their improtance or race. But the fact remains that even if I live in Ceruk Tok Kun, and commute everday to school in the city, not necessarily that I will be able to access the benefits that any other city kids have. All I know is my parents wanted me to be sent to a school in the city so that I would diversify my way of thinking. Coming up with the money to travel back and forth everyday is a huge sacrifice if my family earns like less than RM800 a month. Even though I can opt to go to all those extra classes aka tuisyen, I dont think my family could afford it.

So where does it ends. It's not a matter accessability, but its a matter of the huge economic gap between the city dwellers and the kampung folks. Its actually not a matter of race at all. But, it all comes down to race when the majority of the people living in cities are non-bumis and majority of the kampung folks are bumis. I think people should definitely stop chanting about how one race is getting richer than the other. It's toally legitimate to have all this chamber of commers, although its only to benefit one race. I mean the work hard for the money, and so they will decide how they would want to use the money. Who are we to say no to them. Ok thats fine, but the problem will still remain ;the economic gap between city dwellers and kampung folks aka bumis and non-bumis.

So where does the government comes then??? Well, the job of the government to forsee the sustainable development of each and every citizen in the country, be it a malay, chinese or indian or any other races and geographical extend. The whole idea of coming up with the Dasar Ekonomi Baru, DEP or NEP/NDP is merely to protect economy and also reduce the economic gap among citizens. Now back in the days, chamber of commerce was doing fairly well and majority of students that were going overseas for their studies and becoming professionals are non-bumis. Its really gonna hurt the government's stability if they were not able to protect the bumis by giving the opppertunity to do the same without government's help and subsidy. It's not that the government didnt want to help the non-bumis, but in order to maintain equality within the community government had no choice but to help the bumis with scholarships, endownment, subsidy and many sorts of economic help.

Now, today might be a different case. I can see a fair amount of bumis reaching the penultimate of their carrier as other non-bumis. I can see a lot of city dwellers today are bumis including myself. And I can definitely see that the level acheivements in schools are almost equal for bumis and non-bumis. So I would think that the government should definitely restructure the NEP/NDP in order to help those whose are really in need. I mean like wut jinjoo said, a Sarawak Development Union for example. Thats why NEP/NDP was never a question during the late 80's or early 90's because the non-bumis were doing fairly well and the bumis were catching up with the help of the government. But today, non-bumis are still doing fairly well but I can also say that the bumis are close behind if not on par in terms of the economic ability. So, afraid that one would be powerful than the other, thats why people are talking about NEP today.

NEP/NDP is a great, if not fantastic way to maintain stability in a country. Not only the country can progress sustainably but also thoroughly. Its gonna take a great deal of time to reach equality, but its definitely one way that government controls and main stability.
Prototyper

#4 Old 09-12-2004 Default

Uhmm...

When you say Sarawak Development Union i think you meant the SEDC or the the Sarawak Economic Development Corporation? or do you mean the Sarawak Foundation(Yayasan Sarawak)?

Now, from Raizz's points, that means that the NEP should be restructured to help the people in the Kampungs, irregardless of race? The problem in the Kampungs, i see is the exposure to things outside the kampung. Those who live, go to school, and grow up in a Kampung usually have little or not exposure to things like Science and Technology, as well as arts and music. Thus, if you never see or hear something, you will never aspire for it. City-kids usually prefer to stay in their comfort zone, which is the city area. I think the issue here is distribution of wealth.

We need a new way to make life for the kampung kids challenging and fun and making the life for the city kids more exciting and exotic. Maybe we should have a reality tv show where a Kampung boy is swapped with a city boy? and not just any kampung, it should be a kampung in the interiors or Sabah and Sarawak. I feel that there is not enough development in Sabah and Sarawak, even in Kuching, compared with KL and most peninsular cities.

enough of my rantings..i need my morning coffee...

Others..feel free to post your thoughts on this...
ElansarGelmir Male

#5 Old 10-12-2004 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raizz
Great opinion there jinjoo, but I have to say that I might disagree on certain matters regarding this issue. I totally agree with the fact that its the government's role to fairly distribute wealth geographically and not according to their improtance or race. But the fact remains that even if I live in Ceruk Tok Kun, and commute everday to school in the city, not necessarily that I will be able to access the benefits that any other city kids have. All I know is my parents wanted me to be sent to a school in the city so that I would diversify my way of thinking. Coming up with the money to travel back and forth everyday is a huge sacrifice if my family earns like less than RM800 a month. Even though I can opt to go to all those extra classes aka tuisyen, I dont think my family could afford it.
Which school did you go to?

#6 Old 06-06-2009 Default Re: Lament of a Kampung Boy

Bumping this thread (came across it when attempting to find the quote for the "find the quote game" ... have now given up doing so).

Yes, I know this is 1639 days too late, but I wonder if you guys have anything to say about it...

4 years down the road, NEP/NDP still does not seem to have done much for the kampung folk*. What now seems to be happening is that the middle-class Bumiputra from the city seem to be soaking up much of the quota. And they (arguably) don't really need the extra advantage...

And after some point, affirmative action (which is basically what NEP is) starts to hurt the people that its supposed to protect - they become accustomed to expecting perks and find it tremendously difficult to succeed in a "level playing field" environment, they become more and more defensive about it (splitting the racial divide even further) AND everyone else may not give them enough credit for their abilities because its thought that their success is basically due to the special treatment.

[am I making much sense?]
eve88 is offline   Reply With Quote