ReCom.org
The Spammers Association Click here to visit this social group

HOS VI: Silence is the key

Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#2671 Old 15-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnSecret View Post

Could you all help me on something? I would like some advice on how to improve public speaking. I need to Speak (in front of everybody) for MUET and I find that while my written English is not bad, my (public) speaking is... UGH. I can't think when I go in front there.

Since a lot of you are ReMag writers, I was hoping I could get some words of wisdom here ;)
My advice for you would be to try speaking in public as much as you can. Any time there are presentations, volunteer to be the presenter. Get used to speaking in public so that you'll feel comfortable, like it's something you do all the time. You'll find that soon your confidence will grow and you'll be able to speak better. Of course, it also helps to practice what you're going to say beforehand so you don't end up dumbstruck while talking.

I used to be terrible at speaking in front of a crowd. Now I've improved after a year of endless presentations (before this my legs would shiver every single time and I would forget my words, but that has stopped happening). I learnt that it is important not to panic or be nervous or you'll forget everything. Just be calm, and if you do forget your words, pause and try to rethink. I find having palm cards helpful in this situation.

Also if you're afraid of looking into the faces of the audience, concentrate on the wall behind them so it would appear as if you're looking at them. Don't move around too much, but don't stand too still; use your body language to engage the audience, loosen your body. Never pace, it is distracting to the audience.

Lastly, don't speak monotonously, or like a freight train, or like a broken record (I...ah....um....errr...). Make sure your grammar is correct, don't mispronounce words, don't make lame jokes, and don't apologize if you did a bad job, it only makes you look worse.

Good luck!
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2672 Old 15-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
Wow, you just read my mind, but you managed to reprosessed my thoughts to sound better! I'm totally a Science-y person. Physics is... interesting. Bio is nice too... I totally hate Chemistry -- why is it that we have to solve equations involving alphabets?! A+B doesn't equal to C, how shit is that?
I know! Chemistry is mind-boggling especially when we have to memorise the structures with all the bloody phenols, phenyls and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan2468 View Post
I like science in the sense that I find it interesting to learn, but I seem to lack the natural aptitude to cope well with them. Biology is a favourite and in particular I enjoy the chapters about the human anatomy. Chemistry (minus the calculations) I also find enjoyable. Least favourite of mine is Physics. I find the electricity chapters dull.
Physics was mildly fun during college because we had this work sheet that had passages out of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons regarding antimatter. The chapter we were learning at that time was astrophysics and at the end of the day, we proved that Dan Brown wrote a lot of scientific crap. And we proved him wrong. Mathematically.

Quote:
Hmmm... I guess I'm the only one who pledge my true love to Science. I love reading up random stuff on Wikipedia or HowStuffWorks To each their own I guess.
It's been quite long since my visit to HowStuffWorks but it's a wonderful site for scienc-y people like me.
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2673 Old 15-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
Could you all help me on something? I would like some advice on how to improve public speaking. I need to Speak (in front of everybody) for MUET and I find that while my written English is not bad, my (public) speaking is... UGH. I can't think when I go in front there.

Since a lot of you are ReMag writers, I was hoping I could get some words of wisdom here ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
My advice for you would be to try speaking in public as much as you can. Any time there are presentations, volunteer to be the presenter. Get used to speaking in public so that you'll feel comfortable, like it's something you do all the time. You'll find that soon your confidence will grow and you'll be able to speak better. Of course, it also helps to practice what you're going to say beforehand so you don't end up dumbstruck while talking.

I used to be terrible at speaking in front of a crowd. Now I've improved after a year of endless presentations (before this my legs would shiver every single time and I would forget my words, but that has stopped happening). I learnt that it is important not to panic or be nervous or you'll forget everything. Just be calm, and if you do forget your words, pause and try to rethink. I find having palm cards helpful in this situation.

Also if you're afraid of looking into the faces of the audience, concentrate on the wall behind them so it would appear as if you're looking at them. Don't move around too much, but don't stand too still; use your body language to engage the audience, loosen your body. Never pace, it is distracting to the audience.

Lastly, don't speak monotonously, or like a freight train, or like a broken record (I...ah....um....errr...). Make sure your grammar is correct, don't mispronounce words, don't make lame jokes, and don't apologize if you did a bad job, it only makes you look worse.

Good luck!
Dominic already gave some pretty sound advice, so I'm just going to add a bit to that - the best thing really is to practice speaking in front of other people. The more you do it, the more you get used to it, soon it'll feel like it's nothing big at all. I used to be terrible at public speaking - I'd get so nervous that I'd stutter and fumble over my words a lot and would end up speaking too softly. But as a librarian, among other things I had to promote books to the entire student body and that would involve getting up onstage during assemblies to talk about them, and in my senior years I became Head of Discipline and I had to teach the probates, both of which involved public speaking, and I found that I enjoyed teaching them and I eventually began to get over my fear.

Also yes, it helps to stare at the wall behind the audience if you feel nervous looking at people If it is a prepared speech, it helps to bring cue cards in case you forget your points. Also remember that as the speaker you want to engage your audience and have them interested in what you're talking about, so have the confidence to try to make it interactive and fun.

Last edited by joan2468; 15-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.
joan2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#2674 Old 15-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

It also helps you to read aloud. Sure, it might seem weird, but by reading aloud in your most natural manner (and perhaps recording what you have read so that you can listen to yourself on how you speak) allows you to figure out how you actually sound like while speaking. You can then ask the question on whether you understand yourself if you were not to refer to the book. If you (or you could a close friend to listen) can, then you're quite set for the exam. If you can't, then perhaps you have mispronounced certain words somewhere. Or that you weren't clear in your pronunciation and enunciation.

Reading aloud can help you remember the words that may be new to you, too.
Slightly Senior Member

#2675 Old 15-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
OMG. Note to self! I shall wish you this Friday ;) I swear I'll remember.

Oh the SPM days... SPM Physics was chicken shit (sorry, it just seemed that way now), come to F6 and you'll see how flawed SPM's Physics is. STPM's Physics is like super in depth. You learn shit that you don't think you even want to know. But hey, it's all relevant to life.

Good luck okay? I hope you all get a lot of soalan "bocor". The papers for my year "leaked" really badly. The midnight SMSes come once every few minutes. Wish you luck and sudden surge of intelligence while sitting for your paper
Like like like, SPM physics is nothing compared to STPM.I admire those who got A for stpm physics.
Less Junior Member

#2676 Old 15-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

THANK YOU JOAN, DOMINIC AND HENRY! I feel like I'm not the only one who has troubles in this world. I would so hug you all right now...! And Nick, we are like sooo alike. I always had a feeling Dan Brown had an over imaginative mind but who knew he could be proven wrong so easily.

And Henry, no, reading out loud isn't weird. Some motivator my school invited once said the same thing and I actually took the advice -- I believe it DOES work, except I don't do it often because it'll take forever for me to finish the book ;)

In the hopes of improving my public speaking, I actually took my efforts to a whole new level by talking to myself -- crazy I know! I talk to myself all the time and I believe that it has improved my speaking. Not PUBLICLY but, yeah you know... just my... talking.

KENT! I remember you from the JPA scholarship days earlier this year...! Hi, how are you? Are you in F6 now?
AnnSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2677 Old 16-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOAN!!!!!

Oh, and Selamat Malaysia Day!
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2678 Old 16-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Okay, I didn't expect big purple text announcing the fact that I've just turned seventeen, but it's a nice gesture XD Thanks!

#2679 Old 16-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
Eh, I pergi cari you in Madison, mau? Haha....
Tak mau. Biar I cari you in Lubbock. Haha.

and at once I knew,
I was not magnificent.
technicolor is offline   Reply With Quote
lxy Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#2680 Old 16-09-2011 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Happy Malaysia Day, people! =DD