ReCom.org
The Spammers Association Click here to visit this social group

HOS VI: Silence is the key

nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2761 Old 30-01-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Hey peeps, I'll be attending my pre-departure briefing for JPA on Tuesday and I was wondering, what exactly do they want us to do there from 7.30 to 5? Anyone here been to the briefing recently?
7.30 to 5? wow that's a bit longer than mine. Mine was until after lunchtime. Basically they gave us our blazers and money. We also had a talk by MAS on baggage and other flight/airport-related regulations. A bit of pep talk. That's about all I can remember I think.
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#2762 Old 31-01-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvl View Post
7.30 to 5? wow that's a bit longer than mine. Mine was until after lunchtime. Basically they gave us our blazers and money. We also had a talk by MAS on baggage and other flight/airport-related regulations. A bit of pep talk. That's about all I can remember I think.
All that only took 50% of the time spent in my briefing, which started at 9 something and ended at 4 something. The rest is just standing/sitting around idling or waiting.

May you be well and happy!!! :)
yanno_yamster is offline   Reply With Quote
KenT13
Slightly Senior Member

#2763 Old 31-01-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Lynas in Malaysia to process radioactive ore? Anyone supports this?
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#2764 Old 01-02-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvl View Post
JPA suddenly told us that we could only bring 20 kg of luggage, even with the GRADS card. Their reasons?

- akan mengganggu proses check-in
- tak adil bagi mereka yang tiada
- memang confirm tak boleh

I have no idea what to say to them anymore.....
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2765 Old 02-02-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
JPA suddenly told us that we could only bring 20 kg of luggage, even with the GRADS card. Their reasons?

- akan mengganggu proses check-in
- tak adil bagi mereka yang tiada
- memang confirm tak boleh

I have no idea what to say to them anymore.....

weird...
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#2766 Old 02-02-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Check-in itu bukan individual check-in kah? Group check-in meh? Who cares if they don't have Grads card and you have? You kena bayar untuk Grads card juga kan? So who's to stop you from using it?

If you're going anywhere else but the US, then your limit is 20 kg per person. With Grads card you should be able to carry more.

If you're going to the US, then you're allowed two pieces of checked luggage, each weighing no more than 23 kg. So you get a maximum of 46 kg (or 100 pounds) for two pieces, excluding carry-on luggage.

If you call MAS and they tell you through the phone that it's 20 kg maximum for the US, you can just... well... screw them. It says two pieces in their website anyway. (I got cheated by the MAS telephone customer service operator when she told me I could only take 20 kg per person, and in the end my mother and I only packed 40 kg, when we could have both carried 92 kg in total.)
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#2767 Old 02-02-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
Check-in itu bukan individual check-in kah? Group check-in meh? Who cares if they don't have Grads card and you have? You kena bayar untuk Grads card juga kan? So who's to stop you from using it?

If you're going anywhere else but the US, then your limit is 20 kg per person. With Grads card you should be able to carry more.

If you're going to the US, then you're allowed two pieces of checked luggage, each weighing no more than 23 kg. So you get a maximum of 46 kg (or 100 pounds) for two pieces, excluding carry-on luggage.

If you call MAS and they tell you through the phone that it's 20 kg maximum for the US, you can just... well... screw them. It says two pieces in their website anyway. (I got cheated by the MAS telephone customer service operator when she told me I could only take 20 kg per person, and in the end my mother and I only packed 40 kg, when we could have both carried 92 kg in total.)
Apparently MAS is in cahoots with JPA and will only allow us to use the card if JPA does. My whole batch is angry about this. They even pretended that previous batches flew with 20kg, even though we know no one did. It's frustrating.
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#2768 Old 02-02-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

So what if MAS is in cahoots with JPA? It's you who are flying in the plane, not JPA. The boarding pass contains your name, not JPA. Unless it's a group check-in, I see no reason that they should deny you your use of the Grads card.

How can they mix professionalism with personal matters? MAS should know better (or do they? There are reasons why I don't fly MAS anymore).
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2769 Old 03-02-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

Quote:
Apparently MAS is in cahoots with JPA and will only allow us to use the card if JPA does. My whole batch is angry about this. They even pretended that previous batches flew with 20kg, even though we know no one did. It's frustrating.
Really? I know I nearly freaked out when the JPA officer told me I couldn't use my Grads card when I was in the airport. Thankfully the MAS officer intervened and helped us check in with the card.

Grads card or not, I thought students are allowed 25 kg?

One more thing, will you be transiting anywhere? If so, then the Grads card is not allowed. Mine was a direct flight so it was okay to use it
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#2770 Old 03-02-2012 Default Re: HOS VI: Eating in class and sweating to the library

I think the transit applies for MAS flights to the US (in which case it doesn't matter, because you are allowed 46 kg in two pieces of luggage to the US). I'm uncertain whether there are other international flights that require you to transit at different places (but still effectively on the same plane to your final destination).