ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Do other races hate Malays?

Voltman Male
Super Junior Member

#11 Old 26-08-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz_Zoo View Post
That being said, thr is 1 point in d constitution tat enables a certain race to have a upper hand compared 2 d other races. However, this action is justified as the British discriminated these races n caused them 2 b d poorest among all the races. This special right enables to undo wat d British did. However, this special right has been exploited by certain parties enabling only a few ppl of this race to b rich while the others continue 2 suffer.
Hi,

This is news to me. So, it was the British who originally discriminated upon the bumiputras and now everyone else is discriminated because the bumiputras are the majority?
Do you know where I can find out more about the treatment of bumiputras when the British colonized Malaysia?
Any particular books you'd like to recommend?

Thanks
Voltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor

#12 Old 26-08-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
Hi,

This is news to me. So, it was the British who originally discriminated upon the bumiputras and now everyone else is discriminated because the bumiputras are the majority?
Do you know where I can find out more about the treatment of bumiputras when the British colonized Malaysia?

Thanks
Well, 2 put in proper term, they were given the advantage in order for them 2 advance faster and b treated fairly.

Unfortunately, this issue is considered a sensitive issue. Therefore, Malaysians hv 2 b careful with their words whn it comes 2 this issue as it could incite instability 2 our country like in May 13, 1969.

I'm nt sure whether thr is a book tat clearly explains d whole situation. Bt U cn try Malaysia Today, it's a news portal tat is nt under d government's draconian control. So, it talk about it sometimes.
Super Junior Member

#13 Old 26-08-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz_Zoo View Post
Well, 2 put in proper term, they were given the advantage in order for them 2 advance faster and b treated fairly.

Unfortunately, this issue is considered a sensitive issue. Therefore, Malaysians hv 2 b careful with their words whn it comes 2 this issue as it could incite instability 2 our country like in May 13, 1969.

I'm nt sure whether thr is a book tat clearly explains d whole situation. Bt U cn try Malaysia Today, it's a news portal tat is nt under d government's draconian control. So, it talk about it sometimes.
Could you send me a link which talks a bit about it (if you can)?
I love my Malaysian friends whatever their ethnic background and want to understand more how their country became how it is today. Not too long ago it seemed like a really good country but I would like to look at its flaws too and the causes.
Voltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor

#14 Old 26-08-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
Could you send me a link which talks a bit about it (if you can)?
I love my Malaysian friends whatever their ethnic background and want to understand more how their country became how it is today. Not too long ago it seemed like a really good country but I would like to look at its flaws too and the causes.
Malaysia Today has it all. You cn jz type race in the search bar and you can find a lot of articles.

Articles tat I hv found:
http://malaysia-today.net/mtcolumns/...alk-about-race
http://malaysia-today.net/mtcolumns/...avour-one-race
http://archiveofmt.blogspot.com/2005...to-racial.html
http://archiveofmt.blogspot.com/2005...at-relief.html
Super Junior Member

#15 Old 15-11-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack10 View Post
Firstly really sorry if this is a re-thread,i already searched and cannot found thread that is similar to this,i'm still new btw.Back to the tittle,i am pretty sure all of u know the incident at kfc where a malay punch and kick a chinese.It freaks me out because i love chinese and other races,for me that incident is due to the morality and behaviour of a person not the races.Seriously i cant imagine my life without roti canai,char kuey teow and many more.I'm a malay but i am proud being a malaysian.I pretty sure u guys think of the same thing but i want to hear from your own perspective.
well, put aside all those incident away. i think u r being a racist because u mentioning about race at the first place. but then again, i try to be neutral because we ppl have our own limit. when we are being push beyond that limit, we might as well do those crazy things we do. have u ever been work during ur sems break or experience working outside? i did. and seriously, the salary we got is not even close to the work we were doing. to be treated like we dont even have any pride. to serve u. and all u can do is whining, whining, and whining. just put ourselves in that man shoes. u r working long hours, u r damn tired, a lot of customer keep pressuring on u to get their meals, and suddenly one of the customer breaks out. well, what will u do then?

and vise versa. u r a customer, there were so many ppl in kfc, u r queuing for 5 min, then 10 min, then 30 min, then 40 min. it seems like the queu is taking so many of ur times. then, it ur turns. finally, u can have ur meals!!! ur hope is so high because u dont eat since yesterday. and once u ordered, he said that u need to wait for another 15 min to get the chicken ready.

seriously, i hate waiting for my meals. but i usually looked at the place first. but since we dont have to pay for the service charges for those fast food, i dont mind waiting. however when i see a lot of crowd at the counter, i would be like, preparing myself to the waiting tension around me. everyone would be whining, and say the service is so slow. and me myself is just like sponge, absorbing all those bad air and will just said it out loud and marah-marah at the counter.

those incident is not even close to being racist or what. is just ppl yang watching will make assumption and drag small thing to be bigger. the incident was worsen when all the political parties involved. they want to be hero. everyone wants to be hero. if u r not racist, u never going to see those incident between a chinese and a malay. and i am a malay. should i actually saying my race before i publish my comment? no. please dont butthurt.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
that was one of pecah and perintah principles anyway. to not let all the races bonded.

Last edited by wieya; 15-11-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
wieya is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#16 Old 15-11-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wieya View Post
well, put aside all those incident away. i think u r being a racist because u mentioning about race at the first place. but then again, i try to be neutral because we ppl have our own limit. when we are being push beyond that limit, we might as well do those crazy things we do. have u ever been work during ur sems break or experience working outside? i did. and seriously, the salary we got is not even close to the work we were doing. to be treated like we dont even have any pride. to serve u. and all u can do is whining, whining, and whining. just put ourselves in that man shoes. u r working long hours, u r damn tired, a lot of customer keep pressuring on u to get their meals, and suddenly one of the customer breaks out. well, what will u do then?

and vise versa. u r a customer, there were so many ppl in kfc, u r queuing for 5 min, then 10 min, then 30 min, then 40 min. it seems like the queu is taking so many of ur times. then, it ur turns. finally, u can have ur meals!!! ur hope is so high because u dont eat since yesterday. and once u ordered, he said that u need to wait for another 15 min to get the chicken ready.

seriously, i hate waiting for my meals. but i usually looked at the place first. but since we dont have to pay for the service charges for those fast food, i dont mind waiting. however when i see a lot of crowd at the counter, i would be like, preparing myself to the waiting tension around me. everyone would be whining, and say the service is so slow. and me myself is just like sponge, absorbing all those bad air and will just said it out loud and marah-marah at the counter.

those incident is not even close to being racist or what. is just ppl yang watching will make assumption and drag small thing to be bigger. the incident was worsen when all the political parties involved. they want to be hero. everyone wants to be hero. if u r not racist, u never going to see those incident between a chinese and a malay. and i am a malay. should i actually saying my race before i publish my comment? no. please dont butthurt.

that was one of pecah and perintah principles anyway. to not let all the races bonded.
Come on, let's not get personal here. What on earth are your grounds for accusing the OP of being racist? Just because he brought up a racial topic? People need to get their idea of 'racism' straight - it's about preconceived notions of races, it's about putting one group of people above or below another purely on the grounds of race.

All that Jack10 did was to express how he felt that that incident DIDN'T involve race, and then ask everyone whether they felt the same or whether they detected some racial elements in the incident. Is that so wrong? It's precisely because everyone is so touchy about subjects like this that we never get any dialogue going, and all it does is fester. I sure as hell wouldn't quite feel like trying to advance discussion on race if everyone would just point fingers at me and scream 'Racist!'

Getting back on the issue, again I have to caution against jumping to the racial perspective on this issue. I believe that where other (probably more relevant) factors can better explain a situation, those are the facts we should go to first, rather than something more vague like race.

Let's do a simple test.

Assuming both parties had been of the same race, could the incident have still occurred? Yes, of course. One party is pissed off about having to wait in line too long. The other is sick and tired of serving pissy customers. Restaurants don't *owe* their customers good service as a matter of law but in terms of competition it's certainly bad business practice to keep your customers waiting. On the other hand, that's still no real reason to abuse the people serving you food. We can find fault on both sides, and ascribe to them very concrete reasons that have nothing to do with race.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
wieya Female
Super Junior Member

#17 Old 15-11-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas92 View Post
Come on, let's not get personal here. What on earth are your grounds for accusing the OP of being racist? Just because he brought up a racial topic? People need to get their idea of 'racism' straight - it's about preconceived notions of races, it's about putting one group of people above or below another purely on the grounds of race.

All that Jack10 did was to express how he felt that that incident DIDN'T involve race, and then ask everyone whether they felt the same or whether they detected some racial elements in the incident. Is that so wrong? It's precisely because everyone is so touchy about subjects like this that we never get any dialogue going, and all it does is fester. I sure as hell wouldn't quite feel like trying to advance discussion on race if everyone would just point fingers at me and scream 'Racist!'

Getting back on the issue, again I have to caution against jumping to the racial perspective on this issue. I believe that where other (probably more relevant) factors can better explain a situation, those are the facts we should go to first, rather than something more vague like race.

Let's do a simple test.

Assuming both parties had been of the same race, could the incident have still occurred? Yes, of course. One party is pissed off about having to wait in line too long. The other is sick and tired of serving pissy customers. Restaurants don't *owe* their customers good service as a matter of law but in terms of competition it's certainly bad business practice to keep your customers waiting. On the other hand, that's still no real reason to abuse the people serving you food. We can find fault on both sides, and ascribe to them very concrete reasons that have nothing to do with race.
i not sure about u, but im pretty sure the phrase, a malay kicked and punched a chinese is racist enough. why u need to mention it anyway? just to highlight what race the victim was? but then again, i was stating that the incident has nothing related to the race.
wieya is offline   Reply With Quote
sandwraith Female
Super Junior Member

#18 Old 15-11-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
i not sure about u, but im pretty sure the phrase, a malay kicked and punched a chinese is racist enough. why u need to mention it anyway? just to highlight what race the victim was? but then again, i was stating that the incident has nothing related to the race.
i agree. It's wrong and it is totally a big deal if you punch a guy of different race but it's totally fine if you punch a guy of your own race... :zaru
sandwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#19 Old 15-11-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
Well I also hate it when people have to state what race a person was in situations where it's not needed (such as this one) but I hardly think it amounts to racism - it's just an unfortunate habit that we all have to stamp out. No need to label people racist IMO.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#20 Old 15-11-2012 Default Re: Do other races hate Malays?

Quote:
"Pecah dan perintah" = divide and rule.

I'm sorry I have to clarify this, because if I remember correctly, Voltman is not Malaysian, so I doubt that he knows the Malay language.