ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

How popular is smoking in malaysia?

iQing

#31 Old 06-06-2005 Default

I have read that hypnotherapy is an effective method to quit smoking.
Patrick

#32 Old 06-06-2005 Default

To answer the question, smoking IS very popular.

You can see tons of people puffing at bus stations, cafes, shopping malls (outside), and restaurants. Some can't read the darn "No Smoking" sign.

Ok, questions for the smokers:
1. Is it really worth it to risk yourself of getting lung cancer/ stroke for smoking? (Generally, killing yourself)

2. Did the "Tak Nak" Campaign change you in any way?

3. How many cigarettes do you smoke a day?

4. You guys don't mind paying a lot (Oh this depends on your financial status) for cigarattes, do you?

5. When did you start smoking

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
hApEenDiNg
Super Junior Member

#33 Old 06-06-2005 Default

i hate smokers.
a giant NO-NO if it were to be for my mr. right ~
hApEenDiNg is offline   Reply With Quote
PINKPIGGY
Less Junior Member

#34 Old 06-06-2005 Default

Smoking is very popular in M'sia. U can see smokers all around u, esp the coffee shops! Even, underage teenagers smoke, think that they r "cool"?! Isn't it funny, smoking=cool?

Smoking is hazardous to not only the smokers but also people around them! I know everyone know bout it, but why do they stil smokes? It's like commit suicide!

I hate smokers, i can't stand those who smoke while eating!! Luckily, nobody smokes in my house! My Mr. Right is not going to touch cigarette!

"TAK NAK" "TAK NAK"
Tak Nak Merokok Hoi Hoi! (The theme song of TAK NAK campaign)
PINKPIGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
littlebigone Male
Slightly Senior Member

#35 Old 06-06-2005 Default

just want to point out that the risk of getting lung cancer via second hand smoke is blown out of proportion. The single most quoted research for the effects of ETS (Environmental Tobacco Smoke) that started all this false hype is the 1994 EPA report.

Sad to say however that this "research" is highly flawed and to a certain extend manipulated to produce the intended result; to support a claim they made in 1993. In this report, they cherry-picked previous supporting researches, they reduced the confidence interval from 95% to 90% to evaluate the risk, and even when the risk index was too low to show anything conclusive, they published the now infamous conclusion.

So before you start claiming that second hand smoke will kill you as if it's gospel, please know that there are claims to the contrary out there and they seem pretty convincing to me. But then I smoke, so I am biased. :-p

~John Lennon
littlebigone is offline   Reply With Quote
day-dreamer
Less Junior Member

#36 Old 06-06-2005 Default

I think no second-hand smoke is better than second-hand smoke, no matter what studies have found out.
day-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
littlebigone Male
Slightly Senior Member

#37 Old 06-06-2005 Default

ok

you can think that. i don't mind people not liking second hand smoke.

~John Lennon
littlebigone is offline   Reply With Quote
day-dreamer
Less Junior Member

#38 Old 06-06-2005 Default

I don't mean to insults anyone, especially smokers. It is just that I would prefer that public places will become smoke-free. Can't help it, sensitive nose

No matter what, I highly doubt smoking is good in any way.

~Quit smoking!~
day-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
kucingbiru

#39 Old 07-06-2005 Default

to answer the question posted by the author of this topic, i'd say that smoking in malaysia is pretty popular (of course i dont have the figure). i wouldnt say that smokers would love shisha, but as a smoker i'd personally try it. do some research on ur place man. if you do it right, who knows one day you'll have ur own shisha franchise. good luck.
kucingbiru is offline   Reply With Quote
kucingbiru

#40 Old 07-06-2005 Default

*the following is my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Ok, questions for the smokers:
1. Is it really worth it to risk yourself of getting lung cancer/ stroke for smoking? (Generally, killing yourself)
how about giving your all to someone and suddenly your heart is ripped and ..(all the bad verbs)..? so if i'll end up getting destroyed by other people might as well do it myself. at least i can't blame other people for that.

cigarette is a friend you know. it's a friend that kills but at least never hides it from you. it stays around through all my ups and downs. not all friends would do that for you.

it's also my study buddy, as i always mention. i dont wanna live forever being stupid and poor. a little sacrifice is ok.

Quote:
2. Did the "Tak Nak" Campaign change you in any way?
what's that?

Quote:
3. How many cigarettes do you smoke a day?
3-7 on a normal day. a lot more on bad days. still a lot less than i used to consume.

Quote:
4. You guys don't mind paying a lot (Oh this depends on your financial status) for cigarattes, do you?
I do mind. but if i dont really have the choice i'd pay a little more.

Quote:
5. When did you start smoking

p/s: for those who Hate smokers, I HATE u guys too. generalization is no better thn cigarette smoke.
kucingbiru is offline   Reply With Quote