ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Scholarships

Scholarships A place to find out about scholarships available for Malaysians

Scholarships (JPA,Petronas,MARA, Telekom,Tenaga,BNM,...) FAQ

Closed Thread

raizz
Super Junior Member

#61 Old 10-03-2004 Default

Although I'm a chemical engineer, most of my research and participation are concentrated in the biomolecular@biotech and biomedical applications. As for what I know, I think US has the greatest capital thats being put down for biotech advances and research.

Take for example the Lincoln Institute in MIT, their research in biosensors and nanobiotechnology itself is like 20 years ahead of the current time. Well, you may ask if its 20 years ahead why are we not seeing ayn of this gadgetry in the market. The think about the US is most of their high tech research are done under the supervisory of the intelligence service thats CIA. And most of thier achievements are published in scientific papers but not implemented comercially. So thats why we dont see any of these advancements...if you're lucky you might come across reading about it.

I personally think that the best place to do any kind of studies in Biotech would the US. Not to say their the best, but the just have a lot fund to seized oppertunity. That's why a lot of foreign researcher comes to the US whether they conduct thier research wiithout worrying about the funds. And there's like super abundance of Uni's offering biotech right now...i8ts simply the next big thing after the so called glorious information age.
Super Junior Member

#62 Old 13-03-2004 Default

hi...I'm SPM leaver for yr 2003.
I heard that there's no quota 4 chinese to get the jpa scholarship, is it true?
As well as, can anyone tell me about the interview? What should and shouln't we do if we are called to attend a interview? They use english right?
mish
Super Junior Member

#63 Old 13-03-2004 Default

hi...I'm SPM leaver for yr 2003.
I heard that there's no quota 4 chinese to get the jpa scholarship, is it true?
As well as, can anyone tell me about the interview? What should and shouln't we do if we are called to attend a interview? They use english right?
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#64 Old 14-03-2004 Default

Hi Mish, Welcome to ReCom family~!

JPA Scholarship has been on meritocracy policy for some time and there is no quota system. As long as you perform well, you should be able to get the scholarships. There are many ReCom members are the holders of such scholarships.

On interviews, JPA interviews have been on group interviews for the past 2 years due to too many students, but I think the main thing is to highlight yourself well. On what should and shouldn't do, there isn't any clear cut answer since it is very subjective. But a compilation of suggestions given by many scholarship holders are available in an article I wrote at ReMag, ReCom Magazine http://remag.recom.org . Read it. There are a lot of good advices for you.

On what language is the interview. Get ready for both BM and English. If you are asked in English, answer in English and if you are asked in BM, answer in BM. As a deserving Malaysian scholarship holder, you should be able to show good commands of both the national and international language.

Welcome to ReCom~! Please go to Introduce ourselves thread to introduce yourself~! Feel free to spread the news around about ReCom~!
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#65 Old 14-03-2004 Default

Hi Mish, Welcome to ReCom family~!

JPA Scholarship has been on meritocracy policy for some time and there is no quota system. As long as you perform well, you should be able to get the scholarships. There are many ReCom members are the holders of such scholarships.

On interviews, JPA interviews have been on group interviews for the past 2 years due to too many students, but I think the main thing is to highlight yourself well. On what should and shouldn't do, there isn't any clear cut answer since it is very subjective. But a compilation of suggestions given by many scholarship holders are available in an article I wrote at ReMag, ReCom Magazine http://remag.recom.org . Read it. There are a lot of good advices for you.

On what language is the interview. Get ready for both BM and English. If you are asked in English, answer in English and if you are asked in BM, answer in BM. As a deserving Malaysian scholarship holder, you should be able to show good commands of both the national and international language.

Welcome to ReCom~! Please go to Introduce ourselves thread to introduce yourself~! Feel free to spread the news around about ReCom~!
kelvinlym Male

#66 Old 14-03-2004 Default

I can't tell u for sure about the quota or the interview since I took the interview ages ago.

My interview was in Malay though and they ask stuff like what your dad does for a living and what german factories/companies are there in Malaysia. ( since i chose Germany as my first choice)

What i know is they change their policies every now and then, so what is true today might be gone tomorrow.

and i just got to know that I have to pay back RM 160,000 (amended recently) instead of RM 100,000 if I break the contract.

See, they never tell you when they will change their policies and they are not obliged to do so cause it's in the contract clause.
kelvinlym Male

#67 Old 14-03-2004 Default

I can't tell u for sure about the quota or the interview since I took the interview ages ago.

My interview was in Malay though and they ask stuff like what your dad does for a living and what german factories/companies are there in Malaysia. ( since i chose Germany as my first choice)

What i know is they change their policies every now and then, so what is true today might be gone tomorrow.

and i just got to know that I have to pay back RM 160,000 (amended recently) instead of RM 100,000 if I break the contract.

See, they never tell you when they will change their policies and they are not obliged to do so cause it's in the contract clause.
Schye Male
Veteran N00b

#68 Old 14-03-2004 Default

i was wondering if we may divide the scholarship links in the web links to those for SPM adn STPM as i think it will be easier for the use of others.
we may add for master course too if there is any.

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
Schye Male
Veteran N00b

#69 Old 14-03-2004 Default

i was wondering if we may divide the scholarship links in the web links to those for SPM adn STPM as i think it will be easier for the use of others.
we may add for master course too if there is any.

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#70 Old 14-03-2004 Default

we could definitely do so, but I think as of currently we have too few scholarship links yet, and also almost all of the scholarships are for SPM level. Once more members submit more links up, we can definitely do that...

On the price for breaking contract, I think we should never even bother to think of it. I, for one, would definitely vote for increasing it to RM1 million or something like that. I think that way we would be able to select those people who genuinely need the scholarships and as well provide loyalty to our country. If every scholar who has a mind of not wanting to serve the nation, then I think you don't deserve to be a national scholar.

Thailand has a bond of 20 years and if broken, they have to pay triple the price the government pays for it and I know that they stay loyal, so why Malaysians can't do that?
Closed Thread