ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

misled_youth

#1 Old 28-11-2009 Default Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

Note: Sorry, I don't want to write a long title. Below is just a bit of ramblings and observations, which I hope are wrong.

Disclaimer: No intention to insult anyone.

Hi guys,

It has been ages since I last posted on ReCom. I think the last time was to make fun of chenchow for asking Pak Lah about some maths olympiad. That was hilarious. But no intention to offend anyone.

Tonight, I logged in for the first time in a few years because I wanted to see what ReCom peeps thought of BTN, which is a pretty hot topic right now.

Back in 2K4, when I was still a student, I was very much against it and posted my thoughts on ReCom. I must admit my conclusions then were based very much on anecdotes from my acquaintances.

Anyway, I'm not starting this thread to talk about BTN. I want to talk about the 'Malaysia Today' sub forum.

Briefly, I hope that sub-forum is not a snap shot of the English speaking, government sponsored and academically superior youths of Malaysia.

While I agree there are some good arguments thrown about, there is a serious lack of topics being discuss. Many threads are more than a year old, despite there being so many issues affecting our society.

For example, it is sad that some of you, are more concerned with the RM50 charge for credit cards, and not GST. I am. It is going to cost a lot more to play Dota once GST is implemented and Garena sucks.

Though there are 'bread and butter BAD NEWS' such as racism, inequality and complaints about civil service being discussed in the sub forum, current affairs, and I stress CURRENT, appear to be lacking.

This post does not serve as criticisms. I am merely expressing my concern.

I remember starting plenty of topics in the past (and getting into a lot of flame wars. I'm ashamed of that now) about current affairs, as did others (where is Turdshifter? ), because I was concerned.

I am turning 30 very soon. I was hoping that those younger than me would have plenty of fire in the belly and be very capable of arguing and showing concern about current affairs.

Maybe there are all sucked in by BTN and 1Malaysia. Maybe they are starting families earlier than my generation. Maybe they are training hard for Dota. Maybe the 'issues' mean nothing to them.

Maybe, just maybe, the youths of today know that arguing on the Internet is just that - like the special olympics

More likely, visitors to ReCom are more interested in learning how to secure scholarships, so they can work jobs they hate so they can buy shit they don't need and make their parents proud.

Maybe, they just don't give a damn.

This is misled_youth, signing out. [Gonna have to retire this handle soon.. Age catching up]

(guys... remember this iQing guy? You guys kept banning him and he kept registering under new handles. That was hilarious! What happened to him?)
misled_youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#2 Old 28-11-2009 Default Re: Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

Maybe, Recom just lacks a lot of active members in general. In general, we only get peak activity once a year, and that's during the scholarship application season.

P.S. Feel free to start as many topics as you want though!

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#3 Old 28-11-2009 Default Re: Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

Well, there are many topics that we Malaysians as a whole are concerned about. But it's really getting old debating about politics, politics and more politics. I am getting tired of writing about them as well...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
misled_youth

#4 Old 28-11-2009 Default Re: Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

Glassylicious:

Hi there. I'm not familiar with ReCom activity over the past few years, but I do recall it being relatively active when I was still in Uni and we had a lot of great debates on current affairs.

Though not really related, I attended the Student Leaders whatever at Nikko hotel two years in a row. Apart from a good spread of topics being discussed, there was also a good spread of fine looking 'student leaders' as well. But I digress .

Because my time there was short, I'm not sure of the composition of 'student leaders' at the event, but those studying overseas did give many of the guest speakers a pretty hard time.

Pak Lah was reminded that he was off-topic (good one, whoever you are) and Dr M was again forced to repeat the Pak-Lah-stifles-dissent-more-than-me speech.

[While at the event, I really wished that students during my time had such an opportunity to grill our nation's leaders. Shucks. Did I mention 'student leaders' in tight jackets over low cut blouse and short skirts? My god, times have changed!]

On the other hand, the students representing local universities were... well... liddat loh... No need rock the boat loh...

Looking forward to next 2KX event... though... the 'fine student leaders' might find me waaaay too old by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseehua View Post
Well, there are many topics that we Malaysians as a whole are concerned about. But it's really getting old debating about politics, politics and more politics. I am getting tired of writing about them as well...
More than politics lah... you no longer student... I'm not complaining about you

I'm concerned that students nowadays don't give a damn.

Vseehua: Hey... hows it going! Are you still in Malaysia?

Last edited by misled_youth; 28-11-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#5 Old 28-11-2009 Default Re: Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misled_youth View Post
More than politics lah... you no longer student... I'm not complaining about you

I'm concerned that students nowadays don't give a damn.

Vseehua: Hey... hows it going! Are you still in Malaysia?
Student I still am, but not for long. I'll be returning to Malaysia for good in a few months (so glad for that!)

Well, looking at the trends of the post nowadays, most students are more concerned about courses, classes, and scholarships...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vikraman Male
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 28-11-2009 Default Re: Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

As a member of the "new generation" in recom, having only joined in 2008, I must say that I agree with your point that debating on recom is like the special olympics, both pointless and self-serving. Some of us having made our point can't be bothered to start any new topics because eventually it all comes down to one thing, and it's always the same thing. Hence our boredom. (FYI, turd is still around, still shifting turd from thread to thread once in a while.)
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#7 Old 28-11-2009 Default Re: Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

Well, misled_youth (really haven't seen you in a long while ever since I came back from two years of inactivity!), as so many before me have already said, it's true that there's a lot of current issues that we can talk and debate about, but eventually it boils down to one thing: we talk, we talk and we really talk a lot, but it's not like we're doing anything about it (or going to do anything about it).

For your information, I am indeed concerned about the GST myself. However, despite reading the papers about the GST, I am unsure whether they want to impose the GST on every item or service.

Speaking of taxes, I had the opportunity to go to Swedish Marque with my uncle and he made a booking for a new Volvo S40. Features all aside, the price of the car is RM170000, rounded up to the nearest thousand. I saw the breakdown of the price as follows:

1. Original price of the car - RM96000
2. Excise tax - RM48000
3. Sales tax - RM12800

The balance of the price would come from the accessories and all the etceteras that are justified. But just look at the taxes alone! Almost RM61000 is just for the tax! That's two-thirds the original price of the car! And if you consider an interest rate of 2.85% over a period of six years, you'd be paying more than RM20000 in interest and end up paying a total of RM200000 for a RM96000-car! (By the way, can someone enlighten me on this "excise tax"?) Just look at how much the government gets from taxing just on the purchase of cars! But where did it all go?

I tell you, we can keep all the debates aside. If you are of legal age to cast a vote, please go and register yourselves as a voter, and vote during the next general elections. I cannot tell you who to vote or which party to vote, but I can tell you this: whether you vote or otherwise, and for whomsoever you vote, you are entirely answerable to the next generation. Yes, please cast your vote, and cast it wisely. You want change, I'm afraid this is, so far, the only way you can opt for a change.

Otherwise, we can just keep talking and debating about issues that we are naturally concerned about, but still at the mercy of some BTN ("Boh Tao Nao" - "No brains") people leeching off every cent from our pockets when we become taxpayers ourselves.

Seriously, don't vote for people who don't deserve our vote. They don't deserve even a zit from us.

#8 Old 28-11-2009 Default Re: Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

Welcome back Misled_youth! After such a long hiatus, it's really good to see you back. Things were indeed a lot more spicier back then.

Well, I suppose years ago, access to internet was limited and cumbersome. It would seem plausible that the composition of internet users back then were of a higher intellectual strata (Pure speculation). Besides that, the number of forums are certainly nowhere near the amount we have now. Hence a congregation at ReCom.

IMO, the quality of education, flair of language, general knowledge of the Malaysian youth has only increased over the years. Just that the sheer number of alternative forums/sites available has diluted the percentage in ReCom. Like a vicious cycle, the dearth of the ideal "Malaysian Today (MT)" topics would not attract MT posters and vice versa. I think that Malaysian Today subforum is not representative of today's youth.

There are many people who check in daily, but when the topics discussed are less interesting, they leave unnoticed. The way I see it, if there are more people bringing up issues (the kind you often bring up =P ) then recom would be as vibrant as ever.
Smilehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
misled_youth

#9 Old 01-12-2009 Default Re: Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilehoe View Post
It would seem plausible that the composition of internet users back then were of a higher intellectual strata (Pure speculation).
LMAO!

I somewhat agree. Last time, we used to share a lot of useful eithers, sharpen debate skills for real world applications. Now, I see a thread in ReCom which reads "How to stop masturbating".
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#10 Old 01-12-2009 Default Re: Is 'Malaysia Today' sub-forum a snapshot of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misled_youth View Post
LMAO!

I somewhat agree. Last time, we used to share a lot of useful eithers, sharpen debate skills for real world applications. Now, I see a thread in ReCom which reads "How to stop masturbating".
That thread exists since before you left