ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Offending Racist Media Posts

stupidboy

#41 Old 11-05-2011 Default Re: Offending Racist Facebook pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by surayahamdan View Post
I just find it intellectually mediocre for people taking them too seriously and start saying "eh, we not babi", "eh, we must report", "eh, why they say liddat?" (I know those are not verbatim but you get my point). In a way, when that happened, the little troll who created the page has succeeded in its pathetic little scheme to provoke people; worst, we're fueling the troll and its minion to find more creative ways to provoke people. How many times when FB shuts down a page, another one will appear? The cycle will never stop, so why should we even be trying?
I agree with your post except this part.

To reply to the unbolded part, it is like what sugan said. shuwenteo was only trying to keep us all updated on what is happening in the world. Just look at all the other threads that she started. People saying that they must report that Facebook page does not mean that they are easily provoked, everyone just has a right to fight for what is right and what is wrong. They are just trying to voice their opinion. Nothing wrong with that. It does not matter when the "little troll(s)" got their wish to provoke people. What do they get in the end? Nothing.

For an example, in France, when the government tries to change something in their system, the citizens will always go on strike. They feel provoked, so they go on strike. Why? To fight for their rights. Does anyone get hurt during strikes? No, because they do it peacefully without any violence (burning government buildings, attacking the police, etc.) but with only banners and stuff like that. Is France still a nice place to live in with so many strikes? YES.

For the bolded part: How many times have we polluted our world? We pollute, pollute and pollute...erm...did I say pollute? So why do we continue to recycle? Why do we even keep trying to plant more trees? We would just continue to pollute our world after that. The cycle will never stop...

Maybe we should all think a little deeper about this.
Zero willpower to come back,
Intensity is what I lack,
Now, how can I revive my soul?
Endlessness describes my journey,
Stranded, unable to be free,
Someone please save me!
stupidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stupidboy For This Useful Post:
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#42 Old 11-05-2011 Default Re: Offending Racist Facebook pages

Merged redundant thread "Offending Racist Newspapers". Please use existing threads when possible. Posting new threads for similar topics will clutter up the forum board, making it very difficult to get a general overview.

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vseehua For This Useful Post:
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#43 Old 11-05-2011 Default Re: Offending Racist Facebook pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by surayahamdan View Post
Believe it or not, humiliation and apathy are the most potent tool to combat racists. Just take a look at KKK, or Nazism and how the Americans have moved from giving them too much attention to simply belittling and poking fun at them. The closest example for us Malaysian is the poor old fart Ibrahim Ali, look at how people have practically denigrated him down to the status of nothing more than a clown.

To make my stance, I don't necessarily disagree with shuwenteo or anyone else posting links to racist FB pages. I just find it intellectually mediocre for people taking them too seriously and start saying "eh, we not babi", "eh, we must report", "eh, why they say liddat?" (I know those are not verbatim but you get my point). In a way, when that happened, the little troll who created the page has succeeded in its pathetic little scheme to provoke people; worst, we're fueling the troll and its minion to find more creative ways to provoke people. How many times when FB shuts down a page, another one will appear? The cycle will never stop, so why should we even be trying?

Besides, I find no virtue in FB's internet activism.
Now that's what I call a constructive post! An emotional post showing disgust at everyone in this forum is just gonna provoke an emotional response, so if you find people immature, rather than spraying your disgust all over, you could have posted an analysis of why feeding the troll is immature, which is what you have done well in this post.

I agree and disagree with you. It's true that feeding the trolls is precisely what promotes their activity, and ignoring them is probably our best defence against such acts. However everyone has their own ways of responding to such provocation, depending on their experience in life, maturity, touchiness and preparedness in dealing with trolls. I definitely disagree with posting "Melayu baru babi" as this is simply sinking to the same level of the very people they are accusing, however I think being angry is a very normal response and they don't deserve being denigrated by people who are able to modulate their response in a more composed or mature way.

It may be very disappointing to see people doing things which we think are puerile or outright wrong. I feel the same every year when I see people posting racist posts in ReCom every time JPA result is announced. However, we do not do our community any service if we react to such wrongdoing by spraying our disgust in an aloof way, as it only serves to engender more animosity. Instead, the better way to go at it is to educate people in well-measured criticism. This is what I believe what every well-meaning person should do in such a situation. Unless, of course, all you want to do is to show that you are better than them.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by youngyew; 11-05-2011 at 12:38 PM.
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#44 Old 11-05-2011 Default Re: Offending Racist Media Posts

In essence though, the 'feeding the troll' argument is right. It's the same reason Rebecca Black has made her money and gotten her page views (note that I am not likening Rebecca Black to racists XD). Racists and the like thrive on the attention people pay them. Ibrahim Ali is one such person, except that as much as lots of people ridicule him for it, he's also got one whole party behind his entire bigoted way of thinking. While I'm not saying it was wrong to start this thread concerning an offending Facebook page, it's obviously not wrong, merely not the best thing to do when trying to stamp out things like these.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote