ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

God, Bible and ....

USSDefiantNX74205

#21 Old 22-01-2005 Default

Quote:
Allright peeps! Thanks for sharing your views. Love you all no matter what you believe in!
Oh thanks. After all, miserable people like me who have no purpose of living, make my own rules, ruin my own life and get drunk need lotsa love from folks like you...

#22 Old 22-01-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSDefiantNX74205
Quote:
Allright peeps! Thanks for sharing your views. Love you all no matter what you believe in!
Oh thanks. After all, miserable people like me who have no purpose of living, make my own rules, ruin my own life and get drunk need lotsa love from folks like you...

relax weiyang.......feel the love....
Less Junior Member

#23 Old 22-01-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivysehoo
Don't you guys feel misserable having those believes? I mean, without God and no eternity in mind, there won't be any purpose of living then. We could do all we want, make our own rules, ruin our lives and others get drunk and be merry for tomorrow we'll die?

I'm not out to convert anyone but just merely sharing my believes, ok. Well, I believe in the grace of God. I believe in a God that loves and forgives unconditionally as long as we ask Him to. I believe in a good and just God who longs to have relationship with us fellow humans.

With my believes, I find purpose and meaning in life. I find joy, peace and happiness knowing that someone great is watching over my life. I do not feel alone in this world because I have God who's always present with me. Hmmpphh... we may all come out with complicated stuffs in this debate. Well, I don't want to be part of that. I'm a pretty simple person who knows that God loves you and me very much.
May I ask this question: Which God? Allah? Yahweh? Biblegod? Zeus? Poseidon? Waheguru?

Anyway, that's what you think. Look. Just because you believe in biblegod (yes? Since it's pretty much a staple for Christians to type similar stuffs like you did), and that our lives would be meaningless if we're not devout Christians doesn't mean that it's so in reality.

People define their own lives. Some may dedicate their whole life spreading the words of the Bible and Jesus Christ, some may dedicate their whole life speading the words of Allah and Prophet Muhammad, some may spend their whole life in medical research for the health benefits of mankind, some may even spend their whole life in community services and making life less miserable for unfortunate individuals... the list goes on, but you get the point.

But ofcourse, when I say "people define their own lives", I mean people, as in perfectly sane people. Sane individuals, who will never go around on a killing rampage, murdering everyone on sight just because he/she feels like it. Perfectly sane person, who treats others the way he/she wants to be treated.

And could you stop it with your "Oooh, non-believers are evil beings who are suicidal live-for-a-day persons! Humans would end up killing each other and doing whatever they feel like if religion didn't exist!" behaviour? I'm sick and tired of orthodox/conservative/fundamental Muslims and Christians who talks down to me just because I happened to be a disbeliever of both sects' teachings. Confucianism (teachings that used to be widely practiced, and didn't preach anything that has to do with god) existed in China way before Christianity was first found, and guess what? The Chinese people back then didn't end up just like how you think they should (ruining their own lives by going around screwing others for fun, drink alcohols till their death, etc).
infested_ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
infested_ysy
Less Junior Member

#24 Old 22-01-2005 Default

Quote:
I am convinced that GOD exist because of fulfilled prophecies and answered prayers. However, it is our personal experience with God that will change our lives. God is personal. He created each of us with purpose and He loves us very much. How would we find Him and know our purpose? We have to give our lives back to the life giver before we can find the true meaning of life. Pride is the downfall of humanity when we lose the fear of God and start living on our own strength. Turn to God, people!
Answered prayers? Millions, if not billions of believers are praying for world peace day and night ever since the dawn of time. And guess what? We still have wars! People of different religion still hate each other, and still resort to physical violence at times, just to settle a downright stupid argument, ie: which god is the ONE TRUE GOD, which religion is the ONE TRUE RELIGION.

Sometimes, I find it ironic when Christian fundamentalists tries to shove their "God is REAL! God performed miracles! And I SEE IT WITH MY OWN EYES! A devout Christian at my church was cured from a serious cancer because he/she prayed everyday!" statement down my throat in attempt to convert me. If prayers are indeed answered, then why not the countless prayers for world peace? Even when in terms of numbers, a few (a dozen or so) people praying for a person to be miraculously cured from diseases/cancers is nothing compared to the united strength of billions of people constantly praying for world peace.
infested_ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
ivysehoo
Super Junior Member

#25 Old 22-01-2005 Default

Hey, if I sounded judgemental towards any of you, I am really sorry k. As Christians, we're not called to judge but to witness. Yeah, I am still learning.
ivysehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
qedx
Slightly Senior Member

#26 Old 22-01-2005 Default

Quote:
Don't you guys feel misserable having those believes? I mean, without God and no eternity in mind, there won't be any purpose of living then. We could do all we want, make our own rules, ruin our lives and others get drunk and be merry for tomorrow we'll die?
Errr, how can we ruin our lives and be merry?

I think you are exaggerating the effects of having no religion. Without religion there is still moral values. A general skim of nearly all religions would reveal that they hold to the same moral principles as you do. The reason for this is simple, they are simply values that is necessary for humans to live in a community; religions simply formally codified them and made them their own. So no religion does not mean anarchy - social pressure to behave would keep them in line.
qedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Zeroth

#27 Old 22-01-2005 Default

Guys, this is getting a little emotional..
Zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
iQing

#28 Old 22-01-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroth
Guys, this is getting a little emotional..

It is predictable.

We need to go for civility.
el_empty
Slightly Senior Member

#29 Old 23-01-2005 Default

will this thread be locked? i hope not - to some extent, religion needs to be discussed. like how i feel angry towards these evangelicals:

Mix of Quake Aid and Preaching Stirs Concern

Quote:
MORAKETIYA, Sri Lanka, Jan. 19 -A dozen Americans walked into a relief camp here, showering bereft parents and traumatized children with gifts, attention and affection. They also quietly offered camp residents something else: Jesus.

The Americans, who all come from one church in Texas, have staged plays detailing the life of Jesus and had children draw pictures of him, camp residents said. They have told parents who lost children that they should still believe in God, and held group prayers where they tried to heal a partly paralyzed man and a deaf 12year-old girl.

The attempts at proselytizing are angering local Christian leaders, who worry that they could provoke a violent backlash against Christians in Sri Lanka, a predominantly Buddhist country that is already a religious tinderbox.
http://nytimes.com/2005/01/22/intern...rtner=homepage
el_empty is offline   Reply With Quote
chillout
Less Junior Member

#30 Old 23-01-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_empty
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillout
God made us so we could glorify Him
i've always wondered. in all seriousness, why would God want us to glorify him? shouldn't He be showing some humility as an example for His people?
Are you kidding yourself? God is definitely full of humility and he has indeed shown it... It's written all over the Bible.

God send his only son to die for us. Isn't that an act of humility?

And Jesus did not come to the world in glory (defined by human terms). He was the son of a carpenter which is now equivalent to a construction worker's son. Jesus, knowing he was the Son of God, did not limit himself to the rich and upper class. He actually just hung out with the least in society - tax collectors (who were frowned upon), prostitutes, servants, fishermen, etc. In all humility, he also washed his disciples feet. He served!

This are just some examples. And if this isn't humility? What is it? God isn't a hypocrite asking us to do something he doesn't do.

Christians try to live their lives more and more like Christ - He is the ultimate example!
chillout is offline   Reply With Quote