ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Pride, is it good?

PJKru

#1 Old 24-04-2005 Default Pride, is it good?

I've met alot of people that are proud of something. If its not their race its their religious piousness or their financial position. Their looks, their body, Their sporting ability, war medals. There are a lot of things that people are proud of. This pride gives people a reason to assert their superiority over other people. Gives people a reason to look down their noses at people. Can you be excellent without being proud? Is pride the whole point of seeking excellence?
Is it good for greater society to be a proud person? Are their certain types of pride that are good and some that are bad? Do you think their are some that are justified and some that arent?
PJKru is offline   Reply With Quote
sno

#2 Old 25-04-2005 Default

i used to pride my ability to stick to my words n get very annoyed with ppl who can't fulfil their promises.

however as time goes by, i realise that sometimes, circumstances might not be friendly to the original plan. it was very exasperating to see myself not being able to do wat i told ppl i plan to. but gradually, i begin to see how everyone copes with times when they can't stick to their words...the thing is to loosen up n swallow ur pride, nobody is perfect, u can't live up to everyone's expectations

so mayb u have to disappoint someone today n look like a complete jerk but after some time, the incident jus settles at the back of ppl 's memory n nobody remembers it.

jus don't ALWAYS break ur promises tho.

erm, am i still talking about pride here???
Slightly Senior Member

#3 Old 25-04-2005 Default

Pride is something natural. We did something, we spent hours on it, made it successful, and to us, it is difficult. When someone else comes to us and tells us to stop being so cocky, we feel that they don't see things from our perspective. Maybe it's because they know better, they're jelous, or they're just sick of listening to what we brag about. Whatever it is, it's a natural thing.

What I can't understand is the situation whereby people purposely pull you down to the societal norms when u achieve something because they cannot bear seeing another person succeed. To put it simple, to be jealous of another person's achievement. It's like the poppy and the grass. When you are the poppy, society wants to pull you down to the level of the grass. And this happens a lot in the situations I've observed. Not sure if anyone else seen this happening.

#4 Old 25-04-2005 Default

pride is ok i guess.

but the problem is, pride leads to boasting and that is bad. not many people are aware when they cross the boundary.

that makes pride dangerous.

to be safe, just remember that whatever achievement u have succeeded in attaining, remember others have done better........so have a little pride but a lot of humility.
jun is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#5 Old 25-04-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun
pride is ok i guess.

but the problem is, pride leads to boasting and that is bad. not many people are aware when they cross the boundary.

that makes pride dangerous.

to be safe, just remember that whatever achievement u have succeeded in attaining, remember others have done better........so have a little pride but a lot of humility.
I used to be an arrogant child who thought that I was the best in everything among my peers. I had infinite pride when I was around 12 year old, and when people said that I was arrogant I just wouldn't believe and thought that "they said so because they were jealous."

Today I am no more arrogant (i can't speak for myself, but this is what my closest friends tell me). This is mainly because I saw the big world out there and there are people who beat me in all aspects.

But still, I retained my pride. I take pride in many things that I have done and accomplished, I am proud of reaping the things that I have sown. The only thing that I have scraped of myself is the condescension.

I am of the opinion that having pride is no problem. You can know that (if you think objectively) you are better than the others, but just don't show it off to the others and don't actively degrade or belittle others.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
DecentMerson

#6 Old 25-04-2005 Default

i can tell u that u are not arrogant at all...
DecentMerson is offline   Reply With Quote
chenjun1128
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 12-05-2008 Default

If ur pride translates into: I'm better than u..then its bad..But then, we all have some pride in us..depends on wether a person is cocky or not
chenjun1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
sherenesheep
Slightly Senior Member

#8 Old 12-05-2008 Default

i agree with chenjun1128... we shud take pride in wad we are, wad we do and wad we have accomplished.. but there is a line, a difference between pride and arrogance.. some ppl mite take it the wrong way..

pride is good, but too much of a good thing is a bad thing...

Yesterday is history, and tomorrow a mystery, but today, is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
sherenesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#9 Old 12-05-2008 Default

Oooh, interesting questions. Let's see if I can answer each one.

1. Can you be excellent without being proud?
Why not? I know some people who have achieved quite a lot for their age yet they never breathe a word about it. I myself tend to sweep my achievements under the rug whenever possible, though I won't exactly go out of my way to blatantly lie if someone asks directly.

And then there are those who are excellent, but genuinely feel that they are not, and that they have a long way to go.

2. Is pride the whole point of seeking excellence?
Uh, no. There are many reasons for seeking excellence. Some just want to be the best.

3. Is it good for greater society to be a proud person?
I wrote my opinion at the bottom of this post, which I feel covers this question.

4. Are their certain types of pride that are good and some that are bad?
Same goes for this question.

5. Do you think there are some that are justified and some that aren't?
Yeah, obviously we're going to have people who feel proud over something very meagre, and some who are justifiably proud over something they took ages to achieve.

-----------

And now, here's my opinion on the issue.

Pride can be both a good or bad thing. It's not necessarily something to be seen as negative. It all depends on how you view pride and how you cope with it.

I think it's possible to make it a positive thing. For instance, a high-achieving student will not rest on his laurels and instead, work harder to maintain his performance, as he has his pride as a great student to defend.

And besides, what's wrong with feeling good about reaping something you worked hard for? You reap what you sow.

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
AnnDeBlurry

#10 Old 12-05-2008 Default

Pride ? Good or not ? Too much of pride leads, to being arrogant and think our ownself as the superior one ; On the other hand , having too little pride leads to weak confidence and belief in ownself . Neither having too much pride or having too little is good , I would say that moderation is really pivotal .

Of course , we would be proud of our surpassing achievements which make us a cut above compared to our peers , that's human nature . Everybody will be happy if they make a great success no matter it is in sport , study , co-curriculum and etc . However , sometimes , we can express it obviously . Bare in mind that most people around us are just ordinary and everybody wants to excel , we will be reckoned as arrogant , self-centered ......when we're showing our pride in front of them . Maybe it's because of jealousy , or it might be because we're really so , we will not know , because we can't make self-judgement , self judgement is never correct , it's influenced by sentiments .

As for those who always belittle their own ability , it's really something bad . Sometimes , it's not because you don't have the ability which makes you a less great person , it's because you never try to express yourself . Take the pride to express your own feelings , ideas , thought . It's our feelings , ideas , thought and confidence which really make us different from others , not just appearance .
AnnDeBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote