ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Morality of youths has gone down??

Benster
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 29-09-2005 Default Morality of youths has gone down??

From recent cases n news, most ppl say that the morality of youths nowadays has deteriorated tremendously.

As a person, what are your perceptions of the status of morality amongst the yougsters? What would you do to improve the level of morality if you agree with the statement above? If it does not, how can you maintain or improve it?

I would urge all recommers to state your stand and discuss the questions above in order to achieve the main objective of Recom as a base for all malaysian students to improve our nation.
Benster is offline   Reply With Quote
khor_albert
Anchors

#2 Old 29-09-2005 Default

I think it's a case of "the whole basket being blamed for a little bit more of bad eggs". Our morality is still there, but morality changes through time. Our grandfather may find our parents low in morality just because they unwind at the end of the day listening to the 70s rock song. It's similar now.

However, there is a strong reason to question the modern teenager's ability to respect. Respecting parents seems to become a "Eastern culture" nowadays. Perhaps this is due to the empowerment of youths, providing them with the best channels to be the best, hence the mindset and attitude.

I think in general terms, yes, the youth has lower morality now but not all youths have to be taken into account.

The ways to improve? For me, the best way is to improve from within the youth itself. If they continue to think that those bad attitudes are "cool" and it's a "in-thing", then there's no way changes can happen.

#3 Old 29-09-2005 Default

I think its likely that i'll marry a kelantan girl
PJKru is offline   Reply With Quote
PJKru

#4 Old 29-09-2005 Default

I think with the youth and bad behavoiour. For some they just want respect and they think that making people fear you makes people show some kind of respect towards you. Like the snoop dog song. YOu aint no g (signs) Gangsterism is glorified. The way most of us in malaysia want to gain respect is for us to get a well paid and higly respected job. Scientist, Doctor, But for the youth who strugle academically they seem to want to gain respect out of you fearing them(this is in the united states and UK). How do you guys feel about this respect issue? Who do you respect? What about the saying, it should be earned? Its a big issue with many people. especially the silent majority.

There is a song in the uk. Basically it starts of with a line from goodfellas. "one day, some of the kids in the neighbourhood carried my mothers groceries all the way home, you know why? it was out of respect"
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#5 Old 29-09-2005 Default

i don't think having the so called high-profile jobs will earn you respect in the long term...it is how you treat others around you that will earn you true respect..that is, people will look up at you and not fear you, having you as their role model and admire your qualities...

yes, i agree with khor_albert too, we have our very own way of respecting people now...as for me, i cn call my mom names, but that does not mean that i don't respect my mom..it is my own way of showing just how close how close we are, and my mom doesn't mind that also...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
el_empty
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 01-10-2005 Default

yes i agree that the morality of our youth has gone down

el_empty is offline   Reply With Quote
PJKru

#7 Old 01-10-2005 Default

I really dont know about malaysian youth, or even British youth in the majority. I'd have to do some social work with kids in this country to find out what they're like. Still, i'd only meet the very bad ones. I wish there were some statistics so we could gage what morality is like with the youth. Their attitudes on sex, drugs, drinking, and behaviour.
iQing

#8 Old 01-10-2005 Default

One should be a good example to the others.
reedhus
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 01-10-2005 Default

if u ask me...it really is up to the individual...i'm a youth and i have frens who drink and smoke. i don't and i feel irritated that for what other ppl have done, youths as a majority are being blamed. as for my frens who drink and smoke...they have good morals but a poor lapse in judgement led them to smoke and drink. it's addictive i understand. would u say my frens are lacking in morals or simply have been misled into thinking that smoking and drinking is all that? are they or the media to blame for making them think smoking is cool? u can't say that morality among youths has declined...what is certain is that many youths simply have poor judgement and ideals. that is the problem we r dealing with, not morality. of course there are cases where morality is involved...but the majority of problems is caused by ideals.
reedhus is offline   Reply With Quote
PJKru

#10 Old 01-10-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedhus
if u ask me...it really is up to the individual...i'm a youth and i have frens who drink and smoke. i don't and i feel irritated that for what other ppl have done, youths as a majority are being blamed. as for my frens who drink and smoke...they have good morals but a poor lapse in judgement led them to smoke and drink. it's addictive i understand. would u say my frens are lacking in morals or simply have been misled into thinking that smoking and drinking is all that? are they or the media to blame for making them think smoking is cool? u can't say that morality among youths has declined...what is certain is that many youths simply have poor judgement and ideals. that is the problem we r dealing with, not morality. of course there are cases where morality is involved...but the majority of problems is caused by ideals.
Are these people that drink malays? Anyway at least you have moral direction in school. They dont give you any direction in the uk. There is nothing about morals or religion at all(in the schools i went to at least). In the uk they tell you that most under 16s have sexual experiences and stuff like that(in the media). . There is no moral guidance in school absolutely 0 percent in my time. god forbid malaysia will go like that.