ReCom.org
The Music Cottage la la la la la. For those who love music

Do you play an instrument?

View Poll Results: Do you play a musical instrument? Would you learn one if you had the chance?
Yes, I do play an instrument. 144 84.21%
No, I do not play an instrument, but I WOULD NOT want to learn either even if I had the chance. 3 1.75%
No, I do not play an instrument, but I WOULD like to learn one if I had the chance. 24 14.04%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#1 Old 24-10-2006 Default Do you play an instrument?

OK, let me start the ball rolling.

Do you play a musical instrument? What is it? How long have you played it? Until which grade or level have you achieved? Did you learn the instrument because of your own interest or was it because of your parents' request? How did you find the experience of learning the instrument?

Personally, I play the piano and I've been playing it for the past 9 years. I have obtained an Associate of Music, Australia, diploma and I first learnt it because of my interest in piano. Partly, it was also because of my fascination due to some of my relatives who can also play it.

I find music, generally, a wonderful experience. Music has allowed me to find enjoyment and self-satisfaction. Being the only child in the family, music has become my companion to release stress and boredom. Through music, I have found the ability to express my emotions. The mood of the music I play reflects the current mood of mine.

I must confess that it has not been easy learning the piano. There were, indeed, ups and downs and the training experience was a horrible one! Yet, after taking examinations and passing them with flying colours, I just couldn't help remembering how much I've gone through with training. When I first sat for my piano exam, my sight-reading was so poor that I scored 14 out of 21. 14 was the passing mark and I just passed it! My teacher drilled me on sight-reading so much that she even asked me to sight-read sonatas! Believe me, it was hell just to train on sight-reading! But hard work surely pays off, and in Grade 6, to my surprise, I scored 21 out of 21 for Sight Reading. In Grades 7 and 8, my Sight Reading was never below 19.

Personally, it is not the practising part that is difficult; it is the learning part. When one first learns the instrument, one just can't help feeling that an instrument isn't something that one can master easily, like a computer.

Oh, looks like I've forgotten to mention that I play the cello as well! However, I do not make it as my major, therefore, I'd never taken any examinations for cello. However, I've been playing it for six years already! Experience? I'll leave it to any cellists to answer that. Especially the part where the left-hand fingers are concerned.
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
LilDeviant
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 26-10-2006 Default

Hi there, it's really great to have someone finally posted something in this SIG. Hmm, i play both the piano and the violin. I've been playing piano for the past..12 years?, love it and enjoy it dearly.
LilDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote

#3 Old 26-10-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilDeviant
Hi there, it's really great to have someone finally posted something in this SIG. Hmm, i play both the piano and the violin. I've been playing piano for the past..12 years?, love it and enjoy it dearly.
Now, that's a long time! What type of music are of your interest? Classical? Pop? Rock? Anything funky?

Personally, I like Classical music. My favourite composers include Chopin, Brahms, Beethoven, Debussy, Bach, Rimsky-Korsakov and Moussorgsky.

Favourite pieces? Hmm... Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Brahms' Intermezzos, Debussy's Preludes and Moussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#4 Old 26-10-2006 Default

The above post was written by me. Sorry, I forgot to login.
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
LilDeviant
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 29-10-2006 Default

Hi Henry, looks like you're really into classical huh. Personally, i prefer baroque and romantic pieces, which makes me a big fan of Bach and Chopin. Hmm, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy classical as well. As for the funky part, i guess i don't do much on that one, though i do play music from sibelius on and off.
LilDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
day_dreamer Male
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 11-11-2006 Default

YO !

I play the classical guitar ..
Have been playing it for ... 2 years ....
Just got my ABRSM Grade 5 .. barely pass it .. haha ~~

I'll challenge the Trinity Performer's Cert next year ..
day_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#7 Old 12-11-2006 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_dreamer
YO !

I play the classical guitar ..
Have been playing it for ... 2 years ....
Just got my ABRSM Grade 5 .. barely pass it .. haha ~~

I'll challenge the Trinity Performer's Cert next year ..
Wow, that's extremely fast! Two years and you got yourself an ABRSM Grade 5?

Don't rush, though. I'm sure you have all the time you want to study music properly. Challenging Trinity Performer's Certificate next year after ABRSM Grade 5 isn't such a good idea, especially when there are a lot of techniques to master. However, if you're really serious into taking up that challenge, you have my best wishes!

I have never sat for the Performer's Certificate Examination before because I have never taken any examinations from Trinity College London. My Grades 1 to 8 were from ABRSM, and I got my Associate of Music, Australia diploma from Australian Music Examinations Board immediately after getting my ABRSM Grade 8 results. Next year, I'm planning to take the Diploma in Public Performance by Australian GUILD of Speech & Music to obtain the Dip.PP.AGM title. The level is comparable to the Licentiate Diploma level.
Slightly Senior Member

#8 Old 18-11-2006 Default

henry_yew....really envy u laa.....

I play piano either.....and that's the best and favourite hobby for me aft listening to music and online....

I learn piano until Grade 8, but only gt Grade 7 cert.....I was in form 2 tat time when I failed the Grade 8 piano exam...then I sat for Grade 8 exam again in Form 3...but due to my PMR and cocu.....I din practice much and I failed again.....I still remember the day I knew abt my failure...I actually cried, yelled and threw the exam results in dustbin once I received it......(heheh...malunya ).....since then, I stopped my piano lesson and hate piano so much...

but as time passed, things changed....now, playing piano is one of my best ways to release tension and get into the world of relaxation.....I try to practice some chopin, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Schubert and Debussy's pieces by myself....yea...really tough....then I oso try up some pop song and instrumental songs.....but so far, I like Richard Clayderman's pieces most
4seasonspring is offline   Reply With Quote
wendy191
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 02-01-2007 Default

well,i played piano for the past....13 years?yupe,started piano since 5.anyway,after i passed my grade 8 in form 2 i stopped piano lesson.no doubt,i love music very much.recently focusing on my clarinet.oh ya,i am a clarinetist.now joining in PSWO(perak symphonic wind orchestra) and preparing for the concert coming soon in this february.i love band music,new age,sentimental and classical(mind u,not all composers).Music enrich my life.yes,truly it nourishes my body and soul.love it.

-- Charles F. Kettering
wendy191 is offline   Reply With Quote
ChocoChris
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 26-04-2007 Default

hi there,
it seems that are almost no brass instrument players hre. Weird.

Anyway, I play the Euphonium and trombone. Started playing the Euphonium when i joined my secondary school band. I agree that the learning process is very hard. THe first few years was like Hell to me.( I was the special "black sheep" in my batch, bad in everything.) Only after years of self exploring did i reach my current state (Still not that good). Then i started on the trombone since 2005. I just got rather hooked on these 2 instruments!

Hoping to try out a clarinet in the future.

I love all kinds of classical music, baroque, romatic pieces, valses......

My fav composers are Dvorak, GUstav Holst, Beethoven, Piazolla and some modern composers Steven Reineke, Jacob De Hann.....
ChocoChris is offline   Reply With Quote