ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

chEmical engineering???

pickflick
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 04-03-2004 Default chEmical engineering???

huh..just wanna ask wether ..
1*a job as a chemical engineering is a good choice nowadays?some ppl says that its not..so..what can u guyz say about it?
2*wut does a chemical engineers really do?
3*if i were to choosed chemical engineering..wut route do u thing is the best for me 2 go after finishing my spm?either the matriculation or diplomas?
pickflick is offline   Reply With Quote
pickflick
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 04-03-2004 Default chEmical engineering???

huh..just wanna ask wether ..
1*a job as a chemical engineering is a good choice nowadays?some ppl says that its not..so..what can u guyz say about it?
3*if i were to choosed chemical engineering..wut route do u thing is the best for me 2 go after finishing my spm?either the matriculation or diplomas?
pickflick is offline   Reply With Quote
dinna_g

#3 Old 04-03-2004 Default Re: chEmical engineering???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickflick
as far as i know, chem engineers are like chemists. the only difference is chemist make chemicals in the labs and chem engineers make chemicals in bulk. for instance, you want to produce ethanol as one of the chemicals you need to make shampoo. it is easy for chemists to produce the enthanol in small amount in the lab but chem engineers have to make the planning on how to build the plant and what not in order to produce ethanol in bulk efficiently. of course, they don't use ethanol in shampoos, this is just an oversimplified example.

the other two questions, i would leave to other recomers to answer. in my opinion, a chem engineer is a high respectable job. it is the toughest engineering field. if you graduate as a chem eng, you will receive high respect from other engineering field.

cheers!
dinna_g is offline   Reply With Quote
dinna_g

#4 Old 04-03-2004 Default Re: chEmical engineering???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickflick
as far as i know, chem engineers are like chemists. the only difference is chemist make chemicals in the labs and chem engineers make chemicals in bulk. for instance, you want to produce ethanol as one of the chemicals you need to make shampoo. it is easy for chemists to produce the enthanol in small amount in the lab but chem engineers have to make the planning on how to build the plant and what not in order to produce ethanol in bulk efficiently. of course, they don't use ethanol in shampoos, this is just an oversimplified example.

the other two questions, i would leave to other recomers to answer. in my opinion, a chem engineer is a high respectable job. it is the toughest engineering field. if you graduate as a chem eng, you will receive high respect from other engineering field.

cheers!
dinna_g is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#5 Old 04-03-2004 Default

pickflick, I would answer your questions based on my personal viewpoints.

I think any field of studies do have its own prospects and it is upon how good you are and what is the depth and breadth of knowledge and experience that you have accumulated. Taking Chemical Engineering does not necessary mean that you would be taking all classes in Chem Eng.

I still see quite a lot of people picking up Chem Eng, so I believe that field is going great~! I have seen a lot of companies are still recruiting on Chem Eng, so again, the prospect and opportunities are there!

On which route to go, it would depend on your career plan. What is your future planning? What you plan to study? Do more research in either of the route and see...

Feel free to pop in and ask more questions here at ReCom.org!
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#6 Old 04-03-2004 Default

pickflick, I would answer your questions based on my personal viewpoints.

I think any field of studies do have its own prospects and it is upon how good you are and what is the depth and breadth of knowledge and experience that you have accumulated. Taking Chemical Engineering does not necessary mean that you would be taking all classes in Chem Eng.

I still see quite a lot of people picking up Chem Eng, so I believe that field is going great~! I have seen a lot of companies are still recruiting on Chem Eng, so again, the prospect and opportunities are there!

On which route to go, it would depend on your career plan. What is your future planning? What you plan to study? Do more research in either of the route and see...

Feel free to pop in and ask more questions here at ReCom.org!
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
raizz
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 04-03-2004 Default

hey....

that's a really good question to ask especially when you're thinking about doing chemical engineering. to some extent what chen chow said is true... but it doesnt stops there.

well, first of all.... majority of chemical engineers take up chemical engineering because of their passion in chemistry. but there are also some who have no preferences. chemical engineering has indeed been the toughest engineering around. this is because, comaparing to all other engineering, chemical engineering incorporates every single science field in its curriculum; chem, bio, physics, and math.

In terms of work field, there are a lot of job oppertunities out there that you can do with a chemical engineering degree. in the states right now, the most popular field for chemical engineers are pharmaceutical and biomedical industry. this includes industry dealing with biotech, nanobiotech and fabrication. apart from that, if ur more interested in the chem field, a lot of chemical engineers are in polymer processing, oil and gas and other manufacturing unit. I also know companies like Applied Materials and Rohm&Haas which is an electronic base company, who hires chemical engineer as process engineer.

If ur thinking of doing chemical engineering, i can say that it is a very good major and it may help you decide later in life of wut you wanna do. As for right now, I have worked with Infenuem, which an oil and gas company in New Jersey and I'm still doing some projects with them right now. Apart from that, I'm doing research in biotechnology and genetics and i'm probably taking up biomedical engineeringas my minor. it really help me, cause i get to keep my options open on wut i wanna do when i graduate.i can also go to medical school if i want to cause chemical engineering well prepares you with all the bio and chem courses that you need for med school. but, remember its not as easy as it sounds. as for me, i enjoy the stuff i'm doing and having great time learning more about chemical engineering. In, the end it depends on own ur interest and why you think chemE is gonna be beneficial to you. So ur the one thats gonna make that decision.

As for which route, I'm not really sure whether they offer a diploma in chemical engineering. One thing is because to be a chemical engineering u need a lot of basic and fundamentals of chemical engineering like, mass&energy balances, phyical chem, fluid mechanis, thermo, kinetics, and a lot more. So a diploma would be to short of a time to complete all this. But I would suggest you to check out U's that offer chemical engineering as a degree. I think its pretty common for most engineers to striaght ahead go with degree instead of a diploma. Anyways good luck....and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 04-03-2004 Default

hey....

that's a really good question to ask especially when you're thinking about doing chemical engineering. to some extent what chen chow said is true... but it doesnt stops there.

well, first of all.... majority of chemical engineers take up chemical engineering because of their passion in chemistry. but there are also some who have no preferences. chemical engineering has indeed been the toughest engineering around. this is because, comaparing to all other engineering, chemical engineering incorporates every single science field in its curriculum; chem, bio, physics, and math.

In terms of work field, there are a lot of job oppertunities out there that you can do with a chemical engineering degree. in the states right now, the most popular field for chemical engineers are pharmaceutical and biomedical industry. this includes industry dealing with biotech, nanobiotech and fabrication. apart from that, if ur more interested in the chem field, a lot of chemical engineers are in polymer processing, oil and gas and other manufacturing unit. I also know companies like Applied Materials and Rohm&Haas which is an electronic base company, who hires chemical engineer as process engineer.

If ur thinking of doing chemical engineering, i can say that it is a very good major and it may help you decide later in life of wut you wanna do. As for right now, I have worked with Infenuem, which an oil and gas company in New Jersey and I'm still doing some projects with them right now. Apart from that, I'm doing research in biotechnology and genetics and i'm probably taking up biomedical engineeringas my minor. it really help me, cause i get to keep my options open on wut i wanna do when i graduate.i can also go to medical school if i want to cause chemical engineering well prepares you with all the bio and chem courses that you need for med school. but, remember its not as easy as it sounds. as for me, i enjoy the stuff i'm doing and having great time learning more about chemical engineering. In, the end it depends on own ur interest and why you think chemE is gonna be beneficial to you. So ur the one thats gonna make that decision.

As for which route, I'm not really sure whether they offer a diploma in chemical engineering. One thing is because to be a chemical engineering u need a lot of basic and fundamentals of chemical engineering like, mass&energy balances, phyical chem, fluid mechanis, thermo, kinetics, and a lot more. So a diploma would be to short of a time to complete all this. But I would suggest you to check out U's that offer chemical engineering as a degree. I think its pretty common for most engineers to striaght ahead go with degree instead of a diploma. Anyways good luck....and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

#9 Old 04-03-2004 Default

Quote:
may i say, your statement is true because chemisty is actually the mother of all sciences. maybe i should say pure sciences.
__earth Male

#10 Old 04-03-2004 Default

Quote:
may i say, your statement is true because chemisty is actually the mother of all sciences. maybe i should say pure sciences.