ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Unfair for people to get 2 scholarships at a time?

lowxuan Female

#1 Old 03-04-2008 Default Unfair for people to get 2 scholarships at a time?

I wander that is it unfair for some scholars hold 2 scholarship at the same time? They eventually decrease the chances for others to gain the scholarship.
lowxuan is offline   Reply With Quote
leinad
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 03-04-2008 Default

i think we have a thread on this already.
and it doesnt really matter because they can only take 1 scholarship. they would have to reject the other one

selling 2nd hand A level books (Original and Photostat) Check out the market forum
leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
GuoSheng Male

#3 Old 03-04-2008 Default

and besides, if he or she deserves it, why not?
________
Wellbutrin Settlement

Last edited by GuoSheng; 09-04-2011 at 10:01 AM.
GuoSheng is offline   Reply With Quote
insertusername Male
Less Junior Member

#4 Old 03-04-2008 Default

no
/thread
insertusername is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#5 Old 03-04-2008 Default

Thread moved to the debates section.

I wouldn't say it's unfair, since most providers don't have connection with each other saying 'hey, I take this student under my scholarship la, you take the others.'

If you can prove your capability, you will get it, end of answers...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
leinad
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 03-04-2008 Default

my friend used to be under Asean for her pre-u, then she got offered Bank Negara, but she decided on jpa. hahahaha.

and yeah, if they really deserve it, why not?

but it would be good thing for sponsors to comunicate with one another to spread out the scholarships so more people (who deserves it) would get them.

selling 2nd hand A level books (Original and Photostat) Check out the market forum
leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
dcwk04 Male
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 03-04-2008 Default

The most idealistic thing to do is form a Scholarship Council in Malaysia, where every government (JPA, MARA), corporate (Petronas, Shell, UEM, Khazanah) and bank (BNM, etc) scholarship is combined.

One database so that you apply scholarship once only, and they will choose which one for you. No need filling in 10 online applications and going crazy. One interview nationwide, so no need to go for 10 interviews.

Like that, everyone will get one scholarship only. And everyone gets equal opportunity.

But not realistic since different organizations have different ideals. Sigh. Oh for an ideal world!~ haha

Have fun reading!
dcwk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
capablanca Male
Laziest
Forum Moderator

#8 Old 03-04-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwk04 View Post
The most idealistic thing to do is form a Scholarship Council in Malaysia, where every government (JPA, MARA), corporate (Petronas, Shell, UEM, Khazanah) and bank (BNM, etc) scholarship is combined.

One database so that you apply scholarship once only, and they will choose which one for you. No need filling in 10 online applications and going crazy. One interview nationwide, so no need to go for 10 interviews.

Like that, everyone will get one scholarship only. And everyone gets equal opportunity.

But not realistic since different organizations have different ideals. Sigh. Oh for an ideal world!~ haha
I don't think this will be fair then. Each sponsor give out scholarship because they have their own agenda and wanted the best talents possible for them. If everything is centralized, will they still have the incentive to provide better funds criteria to woo the top scholars.

Even though it will be equal opportunity, not all who apply deserves it. I think it is better to have separate so that they will be competitions between sponsors and applicants. Thus, better way of selecting. Plus, if everything is centralized, what if someone apply for certain course only to want to change it a short while after that? Won't that person be stuck like that? I know a lot of scholars who never think about their future careers even till after the point of the interview and receiving scholarships. The problem with centralized system, will it be flexible enough to accommodate any changes?

In the end, I only have one thing to think about people who wants to go through this once only - lazy.
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 03-04-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capablanca View Post
I don't think this will be fair then. Each sponsor give out scholarship because they have their own agenda and wanted the best talents possible for them.
I think you might be right here. Each sponsor has their own type or breed of selection process, whereby they filter potential candidates for THEIR OWN purpose. They are selecting those that meet the criteria for their company or organization.

Those who get two or more scholarships just proves that they have the many qualities or talents that fulfill these selection criteria looked for by the sponsor. So they deserve it.

Quote:
Plus, if everything is centralized, what if someone apply for certain course only to want to change it a short while after that? Won't that person be stuck like that? I know a lot of scholars who never think about their future careers even till after the point of the interview and receiving scholarships. The problem with centralized system, will it be flexible enough to accommodate any changes?
This is incredibly odd. Why on earth would they apply to that scholarship in the first place if they are not determined for that course? Would someone who dislike Engineering apply for Engineering just to "see if I can get it"? I think thats crazy for them to do it.

Furthermore, do sponsors allow them to change their course out of whim? I dont think, even, seperate sponsors are so flexible as to do this. They approved that persons scholarship application for that 'certain course' because they have a NEED for that job/skill. Can you change Engineering to Medicine out of whim?

Quote:
In the end, I only have one thing to think about people who wants to go through this once only - lazy.
Hehehehehehehe. =D

Have fun reading!
dcwk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
capablanca Male
Laziest
Forum Moderator

#10 Old 03-04-2008 Default

Quote:
This is incredibly odd. Why on earth would they apply to that scholarship in the first place if they are not determined for that course? Would someone who dislike Engineering apply for Engineering just to "see if I can get it"? I think thats crazy for them to do it.

Furthermore, do sponsors allow them to change their course out of whim? I dont think, even, seperate sponsors are so flexible as to do this. They approved that persons scholarship application for that 'certain course' because they have a NEED for that job/skill. Can you change Engineering to Medicine out of whim?
You might be surprised. There are a lot of "whisper" saying that they will change their career once they finish their studies.