ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Debates

Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Students Getting Smarter or Papers Becoming Easier

hfz
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 29-04-2008 Default Students Getting Smarter or Papers Becoming Easier

I doubt its the first and I don't really think its the second, but my opinion tilts slightly to the right.

The syllabus have been watered down as far as I know. I've seen text books back from the 70's specifically Additional Mathematics. It had more exercises than ours, and it covered more topics. But the explanations are much more clearer, and in a way I find it easier.

So, since the syllabus have been watered down, the number of As would definitely increase. Hence, making students look smarter.

But if that's the case, why are most university graduates are not as good as their SPM counterparts? If they were really smart, they should be able to cope with the studies there.

Students have not been adapting to the learning curve, rather they are adapted to it. Spoon fed precisely. When the support is pulled back, they start to feel the pinch on studying.
hfz is offline   Reply With Quote
luke Male
KittyLover
Administrator

#2 Old 29-04-2008 Default

C. Students get spoon fed more

Take a look into latest primary/secondary school text books and count how many lists/tables/charts there are in any 10 consecutive pages.

/me goes back to the days of wordy text book and reminisce the joy of creating own's notes and charts using color pens

Last edited by luke; 29-04-2008 at 06:00 PM.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#3 Old 29-04-2008 Default

Go and try reading the sejarah textbook from my time and see how much less content you guys are learning right now...

The papers are getting so easy that the certs are as worthless as a piece of old classified section of an 3 year old newspaper...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#4 Old 29-04-2008 Default

Actually, I'd say it's a combination of several factors. I shall now attempt to list them down.

1. Students getting smarter?
Maybe. But more accurately, I would prefer to substitute the term "getting smarter" with "getting more opportunities". Parents these days are willing to spend big money for the sake of their children's education. Private tutors? Reference books? Revision exercise books? Motivational courses? Brand's Chicken Essence? You name it, they've showered their kids with it.

2. Papers becoming easier?
Yes. Nothing to dispute about here. We all know that the syllabus today is shallower than what it was many years back.

3. Spoonfeeding?
Unfortunately, this culture is very much prevalent in the student world today. We all blame teachers for spoonfeeding students, but this begs one important question -- Is spoonfeeding perceived as the way to get through exams? For further elaboration, please look at point number 4.

4. Exam system?
There's the culprit. Anyone who has taken a major examination [PMR, SPM] will agree with me that most common subjects [I'm not talking about Literature in English, etc] are all about regurgitating facts when it comes to examinations. Thinking critically? LOL, no. A perfect example is Moral Studies, for which the format you have to put your answers in is more rigid than a corset. You use "harus" instead of "patut", your answer is completely disregarded. ALL your answers must be based from the values given in an approved list.

What better way to get students to spit out dry facts in an exam, than to shove it into their mouths in a classroom?

5. Education system?
A common complaint is that our education system is too exam-oriented, and that's quite true to be honest. They say that reforms will be carried out, but as of now I don't see any significant changes. What about coursework? What about doing presentations? Students would be able to learn how to do research, analyze raw information, compile them, and make citations from their sources. Students miss out on a lot of these skills that are vital in their university studies.

6. Pulling down of grade ranges?
This is something that has yet to be discussed, but the fact is, the grading ranges have been pulled down severely for some subjects, making even mediocre students getting A1's like Additional Maths. It's possible to actually PASS the subject by getting a score as low as 9% in the actual examination. This might explain why the amount of A's seem to be "increasing" every year -- they just lowered the requirements for getting an A.

-----------------

Well, these are the factors from the top of my head. Feel free to add more. Might have missed out something. =)

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glassylicious For This Useful Post:
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#5 Old 29-04-2008 Default

I agree with glassylicious' analysis. In particular, I am thinking that the lowering of passing and grade A threshold most probably plays a major role. That's the easiest way the authority can make it appears that there are more and more outstanding students on most years.

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
seeweijie

#6 Old 29-04-2008 Default

I agree that they have lowered the requirement to get "A" in SPM.. but this is only true for certain subjects..
I think they didn't lower the requirement to get "A" in subjects like Moral and Bahasa Cina, instead they rise it.. I heard from a BC teacher that we have to score 90 and above to get A1 in Bahasa Cina SPM. But how true it is, i donno..
But you all can see the statistic from the Ministry of Education, the percentage of student getting A in BC is much much lower if compared to other language like BM n ENG.. I think many of you will agree with me about this..
seeweijie is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#7 Old 29-04-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweijie View Post
I agree that they have lowered the requirement to get "A" in SPM.. but this is only true for certain subjects..
I think they didn't lower the requirement to get "A" in subjects like Moral and Bahasa Cina, instead they rise it.. I heard from a BC teacher that we have to score 90 and above to get A1 in Bahasa Cina SPM. But how true it is, i donno..
But you all can see the statistic from the Ministry of Education, the percentage of student getting A in BC is much much lower if compared to other language like BM n ENG.. I think many of you will agree with me about this..
We had a thread specifically on the issue of low A1 percentage in SPM Chinese paper:

http://recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1701

Also, check out this post in education malaysia blog:

http://educationmalaysia.blogspot.co...onspiracy.html

hfz
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 29-04-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassylicious View Post

1. Students getting smarter?
Maybe. But more accurately, I would prefer to substitute the term "getting smarter" with "getting more opportunities". Parents these days are willing to spend big money for the sake of their children's education. Private tutors? Reference books? Revision exercise books? Motivational courses? Brand's Chicken Essence? You name it, they've showered their kids with it.

-----------------

Well, these are the factors from the top of my head. Feel free to add more. Might have missed out something. =)
I don't really think you've missed out any points but only I may have to disagree a bit on the first one.

Yes, students are 'showered' with 'mind-enhancing' courses, toys, food and what not. But I think it can only apply for the urban community. There are actually more straight A students from humble backgrounds. So I don't really think tuition and such are a big factor.
hfz is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#9 Old 29-04-2008 Default

As far as you know, are students from humble backgrounds indeed not getting tuitions?

In my school, I think roughly more than 90% students do attend all sorts of tuition classes, and a significant proportion of the remaining 10% don't attend due to personal principles instead of financial constraints.

yummyummylicious

#10 Old 29-04-2008 Default

i would stand for Students getting smarter...hey come on, look at those milk powder today, those ingredients(DHA and SA...blah,blah,blah) are meant for making future kids more inteligent..lol...kidding

For me i would say, students who is hardworking deserve an A and i wouldnt say papers becoming easier but i would agree with marking scheme is more linear nowadays especially math and science subjects are taught using Eng. However this concept only apply to certain subjects, some subjects like BC is still hard to score an A1.

One more thing, i disagree with scoring an A1 is a easy job eventhough more and more students are achieveing great results in SPM...it requires loads of hardwork and sacrifice...and on why students getting excellent results cant do well in Uni, i guess its maybe because they are others parameters affecting and we cant blame it all on SPM papers becoming easier and easier to score A1 in SPM...

Besides, I wouldnt say papers becoming easier because from what i see , last year BC paper is really tough and Physics paper is not easy too, especially the Experiment section, we cant find the experiment in reference books or text book, it requires students to think and set up their own experiment...

And i believe in hardworking students will get paid for their hardwork...And i wont forget those days where i gotta stay up till 6am in the morning to study and prepare to school at 7am and carrying extra pair of swelling eyes and panda eyes to school...

And no matter how easy is the paper , if one doesnt prepare well, he/she cant score as well...in the other way round, if one is really smart but doesnt apply the gift given to him or her, he/she cant score as well...

Last edited by youngyew; 29-04-2008 at 09:19 PM.
yummyummylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yummyummylicious For This Useful Post: