ReCom.org
Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

FAQs about UM

Smilehoe

#1 Old 27-06-2008 Default FAQs about UM

Vseehua, what a thoughtful idea of yours to call for FAQs on our own institutions. Since it's already 27 June and university admission is just a few days more, I hope it still isn't too late for this post. Welcome to UM

1. Accommodation
There are 12 residential colleges, henceforth RCs. All located within UM except for Ninth College. Rooms will generally be smaller compared to matriculation, but that's not a point to worry about, you'll get used to it soon. Most RCs have wi-fi services but they can be very frustrating at times with poor speed. Normally you will be given a college near your faculty within walking distance.

2. Food
This should not be a problem as most RCs have dining halls which provide three meals at RM3.50 a day. Charged together in your hostel fees. Pretty cheap eh? But mind you, on some days, they are just unpalatable. Other RCs without dining halls have cafeterias at reasonable prices. Apart from all those mentioned, we have many mamak stalls all over to supplement your desire for supper. haha. Plus, we have a KFC outlet just outside one of the UM exit.

3. Water
Water supply depends on which RC you're in. Some have real horrible water supply shortages where on times, the shortages last for days. Some colleges are better with early announced period of shortages so you can prepare.

4. Laundry
Most people do their own cleaning by hand. But washing machines, dryers and dobi are available at a certain fee. Again, quality and quantity of machines and dobi depends on RCs

5. Security
Security on personal belongings are relatively fine. Laptop and phone thefts are rare, but if you take security for granted, you are sure to regret. On the other hand, motorcycle thefts are way notorious. I got my bike stolen even with modified handle locks and chain on. By the way, first year students aren't allowed any vehicles starting AY 08/09. Bikes allowed on second year while cars allowed on third year.

6. Electrical items
Depends on RCs as well. Some impose fees and some don't

7. Internet
Library and faculties offer reasonable speed wireless access. One worth mentioning, while most RCs' wireless are poor, 10 RC offer LAN with superior speed.

8. Dress code
So far I only know that education students are required to wear formal attire on Mondays. Other courses, you are free to wear t-shirts and jeans. Slippers are allowed too.

9. General view of life
Co-curricular activities are abundant. However, if you intend to stay on campus during your second year, you will have to be active in your respective RCs. Tae-kwondo, Lion dance, Silat, Palapes, Kung Fu, Aiesec, Christian Society, etc. Hence, you'll need to balance between academic and co-cu activities to stay ahead. Both are equally important.

10. Recreational activities
There are swimming pool, badminton courts, squash, basketball, football and tennis, can't recall all at the moment. If you need any shopping, Mid Valley is just minutes away.

11. Books and notes
You probably will have seniors that you guide you on these. No worries. There's also a book store providing various course texts.

12. Orientation
This should probably matter most to newcomers. It will certainly be a shocker to most people. Of course, the orientation committees have been known to act real harsh and rude to ensure freshies (what newcomers are gonna be addressed as) stay in line. So don't really take offend because they aren't really targeting anybody specifically. An advice for the whole week, just relax and enjoy the week, but be alert too. If anybody crosses the boundary, do not be afraid to stand up for yourself. UM is strictly against ragging. Report and you will see actions taken.

I must have left out many things. Feel free to add more provide a more holistic view on UM life.

Last edited by Smilehoe; 27-06-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: This is my 100 post. Gotta mention it. Haha
Smilehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Smilehoe For This Useful Post:
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#2 Old 30-06-2008 Default

Good one, I'll add this article into our article pool as part of the ReCom 2.1 Project ;)

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
Athersin

#3 Old 09-11-2008 Default Re: FAQs about UM

ANyone know whether UM got offer health sciences course like audiology , speech therapist and occupational therapist, because as far as i am concerned, only USm in kelantan got offer these types of courses.
Athersin is offline   Reply With Quote
Athersin

#4 Old 05-12-2008 Default Re: FAQs about UM

I have questions here to ask about UM :

1) Majority courses are conducted in english? i mean for the science faculty.does the medium instructions are in english language whereby all the professors and lecturers teach fully in english?

2)Does UM only accept those who have a high and good record or good marks in cocu?i heard they accept only those with more than 80%of cocu?True?

3)What courses in UM are considered as famous and competitive?

4) AFAIK, UM has a lot of of foreign professors compared to other Uni , is that true?

5)There are how many intakes of students each year for STPM/Matri students?

6)How about the studying hours there?

Thx for any reply.
Athersin

#5 Old 18-12-2008 Default Re: FAQs about UM

I need advice regarding the course of Science in Science and Technology Studies offered in UM. How was the prospects of the course?

Degrees in Bachelor of Science in Science and Technology Studies are offered based on the Semester System. The system provides students with the chance to complete the programmes in a minimum of 6 semesters. The degree of B.Sc. (Science and Technology Studies) is awarded to candidates who secure a minimum of 108 credits, with final Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of not less than 2.0. The degree is recognised by the Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) and the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia.Currently, the degree is offered in two programmes, namely: Policy and Management of Science and TechnologyHistory and Philosophy of Science http://sts.um.edu.my/Undergraduate.html Pls shed some light on that...thx
ninjamole89

#6 Old 22-03-2009 Default Re: FAQs about UM

Hi Smilehoe~! thanks for opening a new thread on UM...i hope ur thread could answer questions that are in many STPM graduate's mind who aspire to enter UM~! Well, I hav a couple of questions I hope you, or probably future seniors could answer~!!

I applied for Law, Chemistry, Bio Chem, Kimia Gunaan (shud be industrial chemistry) in UM in my application form.

To make things clearer, I have a cgpa of 3.33 in my STPM 2008, with A in P.Am, B- in Maths, B+ in Chem, B+ in Biology. I love talking, english, chemistry and doodling. My Muet is 259 (Band 5)...

So, i'd like to ask...is it possible for me to enter Law in UM with results like that?
I hav to admit...my results arent that spectacular, and i've been told getting into Law in UM is difficult (seniors), yet, my teacher told me....that the admission department usually gives priority to science stream students when admitting students into arts based courses...this info did give me a little hope (laughs) but after some time...i'm not so sure.
I also heard that law students are usually the snotty lots, where they crush little insects (weaker students) when they have the chance, and where plagiarism is rampant~! Also, there's an interview for candidates that wish to enter law. Anybody can give me some info on that?
Also, is fluency in english a bonus when u study in law? My friends urge me to study law since they say that i talk best in english, hahah~!
But I hate memorising stuff...however, if the materials are generally interesting and makes sense (requires thinking and understanding), memorising shudn't be a chore for me, i guess~!

And....what is Kimia Gunaan? I googled it up and it seems to be industrial chemistry...is it similar to industrial chemistry offered in USM? I find this course in UM suspicious despite the name, because i don't see the course listed in UM official website, and is not listed in the Malaysia Higher Education Guide (by studymalayisa.com). I only see this course in my Aplikasi IPTA...any seniors studying Kimia gunaan? Can you describe to me what is kimia gunaan please? (btw, kimia gunaan is my fith choice~;D)

Also, (i'm so sorreeeeeee~) my friend told me in UKM you are required to wear collared tees only (!) does that apply in UM? If it does...i'd better head to jusco fast~ seeing as they are on sale now!

And how about cocurricular activities? I intend on going to the swimming club ONLY, since it's free, and, i need to learn life-saving skills, while building a desirable physique~ lol!

Last edited by ninjamole89; 22-03-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
chen
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 22-03-2009 Default Re: FAQs about UM

In terms of choosing over a science student or an art students, they only favour sciences when the result are the same or somewhat similar.
It's doesn't really gives you an edge when you'r? competing with candidate who have pointer like 3.5.
But still I would say it is worth a try since there are more than one choices you can put when you file in your application.
If you get really in luck that they want you, then take that as a bonus. Even is the result is adverse. Don't be discourage by that..

And regarding law, it is quite impossible to do it when you say you are not willing to commit to memory.
Yes, lot of ppl would agree that you need good command in Eng. to understand and further apply the position of law. But still you require a lot more memorising than you think.

Not to dishearten you or anything, I just wanna be honest n state my knowledge in thse matter.
Hope it helps.
chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Smilehoe

#8 Old 22-03-2009 Default Re: FAQs about UM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamole89 View Post
So, i'd like to ask...is it possible for me to enter Law in UM with results like that?
that the admission department usually gives priority to science stream students when admitting students into arts based courses
Law in UM is very competitive. The lowest law student's cpga I have heard of is also around 3.8. On the advantage as a science stream student, I second Chen's view that the edge will probably help in cases where the grades are near.

Quote:
I also heard that law students are usually the snotty lots, where they crush little insects (weaker students) when they have the chance, and where plagiarism is rampant~!
I don't mingle much with law students, though i think it about the same everywhere. There will be the snotty lot and there will be the friendly lot. You decide whether it's worth making your course selection basing on other students' attitude.

Quote:
Also, there's an interview for candidates that wish to enter law. Anybody can give me some info on that?
No idea.

Fluency in English definitely helps. All/most law texts are written in English. And there'll be loads of presentation.

Kimia gunaan is applied chemistry.

UM students are free to wear t-shirts and slippers to lectures.

Quote:
And how about cocurricular activities? I intend on going to the swimming club ONLY, since it's free, and, i need to learn life-saving skills, while building a desirable physique~ lol!
There are swimming lessons. Do keep an open mind with co-cu activities, some really are worth your time. I for one can give you a testimonial. =)

Good luck in your applications. Hope to see you here come July.
pinknotebook Female
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 16-04-2009 Default Re: FAQs about UM

Hie Smile

How gracious of you to start a topic for UM. I listed UM sastera as my first choice in the government's UPU because I am interested in Sociology (their humanities courses are listed under that category)

My biggest worry came from my STPM senior who is in UM Science. She said she heard rumours of the Arts courses conducted in Malay. I personally called UM to check. However, even the receptionist wasn't sure -_____-" She said it depended on either students or lecturer.

I hope someone can better clarify things for me
________
Clc-Class

Last edited by pinknotebook; 20-02-2011 at 12:23 AM.
pinknotebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Smilehoe

#10 Old 16-04-2009 Default Re: FAQs about UM

Ah, UM sastera. One of the lesser known courses. If I'm not mistaken, there are a number of courses listed under sastera. English literature and sociology are among them. You'll have to apply into your course of choice AFTER being accepted by UM.

On the medium of language in the Arts courses, I will get back to you after checking with a friend of mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smilehoe For This Useful Post: