ReCom.org
Every Little Thing About Medicine Discussion for Doctors, Pharmacists, Potential Doctors, Patients and also Nurse :on Everything about Medicine!

Pharmacy

pandaboy

#1 Old 09-07-2004 Default Pharmacy

Seems like there's so little in pharmacy here in ReCom, wonder why. Hmm...let's start a discussion on Pharmacy.
An education counsellor once told me that pharmacy is one of the hardest course, even tougher than medic. How true is this? I heard a lot of my friends who claimed the same thing too.
pandaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The_Observer

#2 Old 10-07-2004 Default

It is considered much tougher because you can't and you don't have the passion for studying pharmacy. If you have no real interest in what you study, of course it seems harder. I have never heard if a person dreaming to become a pharmacist.

The main thing pharmacists study are biochemistry and memorizing all those drugs out there. Biochemistry is a real killer to study (nearly all medical students hate the subject, ask them) and there is a tonne of drugs out there to study, not to mention its many generics. That is where its 'toughness' comes from...besides the issue of motivation.

Whereas we medical students have a lot of fun stuff to study like anatomy, histology (my favourite), microbiology etc. and some not-so fun stuff like embryology and so forth.

So, I guess its just a shift in emphasis that makes ppl think its harder.
pandaboy

#3 Old 10-07-2004 Default

Yeah, I guess u have some points there, The_Observer. My lecturer used to tell me that students opt for Pharmacy after failing to get into medical schools. And I have never heard of anyone dreaming to be a pharmacist too.

Now that provides some explanation why even top scorers claimed that Pharmacy is a very tough course.
The_Observer

#4 Old 10-07-2004 Default

I have a number of friends doing Pharmacy as well in UK and Australia.

Nevertheless, I still blur blur with the structure of their course...can anyone help me out...preferably a pharmacy student.

My friends and I imcommunicado liao...probably they studying very hard at the moment...no time to chit chat.
pandaboy

#5 Old 10-07-2004 Default

You want their course structure? I think u can get it online....at those uni's online prospectuses...
But u need to do some searches though....
Gar87field
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 01-01-2005 Default

Really? Wow...i'm so taken aback...because I'm interested in pharmacy since...should say when I started learning Biology and Chemistry since Form 4. Moreover, I've heard that pharmacy will be very useful in the next few years...really? So happy because I've always wanted to get a career closely related to my interest. If I don't have a financial problem, i'll probably in overseas now...studying pharmacy...so good...*sigh* (Now..looking forward to any scholarships...)

Can anyone share something about this course? Even though it's tough...but i will not give up... :Malaysia Boleh!!!
Gar87field is offline   Reply With Quote
pandaboy

#7 Old 02-01-2005 Default

Sometimes you cant say that you will like Pharmacy just because you like Biology and Chemistry. I like Biology and Chemistry too, but I dont really like the course I'm taking now (Biochemistry).. You have to consider the nature of the job also....what pharmacists do and how is their working environment. I did consider Pharmacy before...but changed my mind....
Gar87field
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 04-01-2005 Default

Perhaps you're right... Thanks for your advice anyway... So, do you mean that you regret taking your course?
Gar87field is offline   Reply With Quote
pandaboy

#9 Old 04-01-2005 Default

Wow...dont say that. Actually I felt regret ...but somehow kena lecture by my friends...haha. (very glad to have such friends)

Once we already made up our mind about a decision, then we shall not regret about it. Only fools regret and dont trust their own decisions. <---my fren said this...

and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshuyi
every decision you make, no matter what it turns out to be it'll always be a lesson in your life. If it turns out awesome, take it as compliment but if it doesn't, don't regret the decision you made but take it as a comliment that life gave you. Not many times in this world, you'll made decisions that are difficult and often turns out to be good.
Thanks to babyshuyi for this invaluable advice~
leng_cyl

#10 Old 04-01-2005 Default

hmm...i wonder to know about pharmacy also...
Waiting for spm result and form 6, thinking of my future, so blur right now, is it really so tough to study pharmacy?
If I interested in Biology, but I don't want to study medic, and I don't like chemistry so much, what else I can study? Nutrition? ??? hmm... @@"
To study pharmacy, is it sure I must interested in studying chemistry?

-USM undergraduate-

My Blog ~ http://hedwigelaine.blogspot.com
leng_cyl is offline   Reply With Quote