ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#21 Old 01-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

I would still say many Malays today are still within the circle of socioeconomically challenged mainly because the majority of our population is still Malay. With that said, the proportion of Malays still living in rural undeveloped areas and outside city limits should still be a staggering number. Hence, the continual need of welfare aid for these groups of people. The problem with that is politicians twist and turn the provisions of our Constitution seemingly burning the image of a poor person as a Malay. It would seem that being a Malay is automatically entitled privileges whether rich or not to begin with. We also have the problem of left-wing politicians and extremists lobbying for this cause claiming the restructuring of this privilege to help the needy instead as unpatriotic and anarchy. So the it is the driving motive behind people's extreme dislike of the current government ; that they are just trying to stay in the times of old arguing that status quo has not changed (ie the Chinese and Indians have and always will be doing much better than others) Another problem of these privileges is dealing with aborigines. You see, the privilege is entitled to anyone holding the Bumiputera status, which refers to both aborigines and Malays. The mishandling of this entitlement has always lead to many needy aborigines being segregated from the rights simply because they are not in agreement with the current government (ie party) policies. AFAIK, this aborigine issue was reported on Al-Jazeera, which was censored in our broadcast. I will try and post the link.

The main point is that it still is the state's responsibility that welfare is distributed on a need basis, not race. The government's lax enforcement on this entitlement has bourne many of us Malaysians to believe the current government is blatantly abusing their power to keep certain ethnics in check and protecting their own. Many supporters refuse to believe this claim on the count of lack of evidence. Well, if your source of evidence is coming from government controlled media, it's no surprise there.

Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook

Last edited by frostbyte13; 01-09-2012 at 04:48 PM.
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frostbyte13 For This Useful Post:
Voltman Male
Super Junior Member

#22 Old 01-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

I think I read somewhere (perhaps it was wikipedia) that 25% of students who switch from Mandarin or Tamil medium schools in primary school to Malay medium schools in secondary school end up dropping out due to not being able to learn and make the switch to Malay language quickly and smoothly enough.

Is this true?

Do plenty of Chinese Malaysians and Indian Malaysians drop out in secondary school?

Or is it a negligible amount?
Voltman is offline   Reply With Quote
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#23 Old 01-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
I think I read somewhere (perhaps it was wikipedia) that 25% of students who switch from Mandarin or Tamil medium schools in primary school to Malay medium schools in secondary school end up dropping out due to not being able to learn and make the switch to Malay language quickly and smoothly enough.

Is this true?

Do plenty of Chinese Malaysians and Indian Malaysians drop out in secondary school?

Or is it a negligible amount?
Not sure but I doubt so. Many of my friends came from Chinese primary schools but could still manage. Some even outperformed those of us from national (Malay) primary schools.

Again, no creditable statistics to support or refute the claim. However, the dropouts are usually not a matter of race. I have also seen many dropouts who are Malays as well.

Voltman Male
Super Junior Member

#24 Old 10-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Do many Malaysians swear?

I have noticed that very few people here swear. Is it against forum rules?

There's definitely less swearing than in most of the Australian forums I frequently visit.
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#25 Old 10-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Who doesn't swear, really? But yeah, the rules of this forum prohibit any form of foul language.
Less Junior Member

#26 Old 10-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
Do many Malaysians swear?

I have noticed that very few people here swear. Is it against forum rules?

There's definitely less swearing than in most of the Australian forums I frequently visit.
Swearing is often frowned upon and regarded as vulgar behavior. There aren't many local swear words around that I know of, that might be one reason to why we don't swear as much. Plus, the swear words that I know exist are very impolite expressions. Still, I personally think that many Malaysians do swear

I can only think of 2 situations in which Malaysians would swear:
1- When they are extremely angry and want to express it. But I rarely heard people swear directly to the other party. Usually it'll be cursing an object. (i.e: When a person accidentally tripped by a small object, he might curses that object)

2- Swearing with friends. I personally don't like it if my friends swear among us, but I've seen these kind of people. I guess this is the same with many western culture.

This forum is mainly made up of people with decent education background, it might be inappropriate/unrefined to swear. It could be against the rules, but need to check with the mods, I'm not good with rules
Super Junior Member

#27 Old 10-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
Who doesn't swear, really? But yeah, the rules of this forum prohibit any form of foul language.
Some of my Indonesian friends don't swear in Indonesian. They don't swear because they don't know of many Indonesian swear words (perhaps because maybe there aren't as many as in English?). I've also heard the Malay language is similar to Indonesian so figured there would only be a limited amount of swear words in Malay (or perhaps none at all?).

So, do most Malaysians who do swear do so in English, Mandarin, Malay or Tamil?

Also, do you think swearing is good for society?
Would we all be better off if everybody stopped swearing or creating more swear words?
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#28 Old 11-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Why would we be better off with more swear words and more people swearing? Swear words are intrinsically taboo to begin with ; ie the words bring out uncomfortable sensations to people or the words have meanings that are not meant for ears of the innocents such as children.

Malaysians swear a lot, but yeah, which nation doesn't? Swearing amongst Malaysians of course revolve that 4 letter word that starts with F that even a school kid knows. Being a melting pot of cultures however, it's not uncommon for you to see perhaps a Malay swearing to another person using Chinese swear words. The case is true for other races as well.

Obviously the reason why you don't see swearing here much is because the moderators are doing a good job keeping the threads clean

Voltman Male
Super Junior Member

#29 Old 11-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte13 View Post
Obviously the reason why you don't see swearing here much is because the moderators are doing a good job keeping the threads clean
Ohh... okayyy!
Just had to check.

i think in canada people swear less. it's very serious thing if somebody sees you swear like something reallly,really horrible has happened.

i also have friends which swear in almost every sentence to the point where people become desensitized to it and swear dont seem like swear words at all.
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#30 Old 11-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

[Swear filter has detected anomalies here, is there anything here that we should be aware of?]

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote