ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > SPM & STPM

SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

A tough decision regarding Literature in English

maximR Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 18-11-2012 Default A tough decision regarding Literature in English

Hello there .

Earlier in January 2012 , I posted a thread about choosing subjects for SPM .
I was divided between choosing Accounts or Basic Economics . After carefully reading books and asking for opinions from my teachers as well as on the internet , I chose economics as accounts involves a lot of coursework . Everything went well , my principal , a very experienced economics subject teacher and examiner agreed to guide me . To be honest , economics in SPM is a light subject compared with the science subjects I'm taking . It is also pretty easy to score an A+ in it , with proper answering techniques , of course . I was pretty much content with my subject choice . Then I stumbled upon a wall post on Facebook .

A senior from a neighbouring , better performing school who is currently in form five and still not done with her SPM , mentioned something about taking L.I.E as her elective subject .

I was stumped .

I always naively assumed that there is no L.I.E subject teacher around my area . I once thought about taking L.I.E by self-studying , but was soon to be discouraged by the lack of resources and testimonials about L.I.E being a hard-to-score-A+ subject . You see , my parents are not really well to do , my only aim of doing A-Levels will be accomplished if I secure 10A+s . I didn't want literature to spoil my results .

After reading the wall post , the poet in me started asking questions . " Should I take L.I.E ? " , " This late , after completing my form four studies , in November ? " and things like " Should I take the risk ? " .

The senior also mentioned that her tutor is very experienced in teaching L.I.E , I know him , he has a degree in English Literature and Drama , and coaches several drama groups from different schools . He taught my mum English . Besides , the senior told me it isn't too late to take the subject and her brother and sister each scored an A1 and an A+ in it .

I have a strong interest in the sciences , as well as in Mathematics . But I love literature as well .

Now the simple question is this :

What should I do ? With only several glimpses of the 2008 Literature in English paper on the internet and almost no experience in the subject , should I take it ? What should I do with Basic Economics ? Drop it , or take it with L.I.E ?

In addition , with hard work and perseverance , can I finish half of the novels/plays/short stories/poetry ?

That's about it . Please help . I need to make a decision . It's now in the middle of November already , SPM is coming , and time is running out .

Thank you .

Maxis

sidenote : I know there is a cycle , where the plays/novels/poetry/stories change every four years , but I fell in love with Margaret Atwood's This Is a Photograph of Me . For the first time , I was in awe , such high quality poetry in our SPM syllabus ! Compare this with our English Literature component , which is a shame . Writing skills , as well as critical reading skills are invaluable , and I know that L.I.E would prepare me for pre-u writing assignments .
maximR is offline   Reply With Quote
alic3-1derland Female
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 18-11-2012 Default Re: A tough decision regarding Literature in English

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximR View Post
Hello there .

Earlier in January 2012 , I posted a thread about choosing subjects for SPM .
I was divided between choosing Accounts or Basic Economics . After carefully reading books and asking for opinions from my teachers as well as on the internet , I chose economics as accounts involves a lot of coursework . Everything went well , my principal , a very experienced economics subject teacher and examiner agreed to guide me . To be honest , economics in SPM is a light subject compared with the science subjects I'm taking . It is also pretty easy to score an A+ in it , with proper answering techniques , of course . I was pretty much content with my subject choice . Then I stumbled upon a wall post on Facebook .

A senior from a neighbouring , better performing school who is currently in form five and still not done with her SPM , mentioned something about taking L.I.E as her elective subject .

I was stumped .

I always naively assumed that there is no L.I.E subject teacher around my area . I once thought about taking L.I.E by self-studying , but was soon to be discouraged by the lack of resources and testimonials about L.I.E being a hard-to-score-A+ subject . You see , my parents are not really well to do , my only aim of doing A-Levels will be accomplished if I secure 10A+s . I didn't want literature to spoil my results .

After reading the wall post , the poet in me started asking questions . " Should I take L.I.E ? " , " This late , after completing my form four studies , in November ? " and things like " Should I take the risk ? " .

The senior also mentioned that her tutor is very experienced in teaching L.I.E , I know him , he has a degree in English Literature and Drama , and coaches several drama groups from different schools . He taught my mum English . Besides , the senior told me it isn't too late to take the subject and her brother and sister each scored an A1 and an A+ in it .

I have a strong interest in the sciences , as well as in Mathematics . But I love literature as well .

Now the simple question is this :

What should I do ? With only several glimpses of the 2008 Literature in English paper on the internet and almost no experience in the subject , should I take it ? What should I do with Basic Economics ? Drop it , or take it with L.I.E ?

In addition , with hard work and perseverance , can I finish half of the novels/plays/short stories/poetry ?

That's about it . Please help . I need to make a decision . It's now in the middle of November already , SPM is coming , and time is running out .

Thank you .

Maxis

sidenote : I know there is a cycle , where the plays/novels/poetry/stories change every four years , but I fell in love with Margaret Atwood's This Is a Photograph of Me . For the first time , I was in awe , such high quality poetry in our SPM syllabus ! Compare this with our English Literature component , which is a shame . Writing skills , as well as critical reading skills are invaluable , and I know that L.I.E would prepare me for pre-u writing assignments .
My advice is, stick to Basic Economics. You mentioned you're coping well, and it is an easy subject to hit an A+ so why struggle now? You can always take ELit when you do A-levels. And I can guarantee you it'll be much more interesting, and no prior knowledge about the subject is necessary. (:
alic3-1derland is offline   Reply With Quote
wieya Female
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 19-11-2012 Default Re: A tough decision regarding Literature in English

stick to the basic economics. however, if taking LIE doesn't consume a lot of ur time studying, u can take it along with basic economics. dropping ur current subject is a big no no as u mention earlier that u are performing well in it right? taking a big uturn at a time like this is a big change. but then again, in the end, u will be the one who decide.
wieya is offline   Reply With Quote
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#4 Old 20-11-2012 Default Re: A tough decision regarding Literature in English

Haha. Me personally, my parents didn't allow me to take L.I.E. in secondary school because the only tutor we knew about lived someplace they weren't sure how to get to, but I unexpectedly found out one of my schoolteachers tutored L.I.E. late in my form four year, so that's when we started. We had a few extra classes through the holidays, but we finished everything alright in time for SPM (:

I'm doing English Literature for A-levels as well, and believe me it is a huge step up from SPM L.I.E...in fact I would say taking L.I.E. in SPM provides you with only a marginal initial advantage for A-level English Lit. If you are passionate about English Literature you can always take it in A-levels, although I wouldn't discourage you from taking L.I.E. in SPM if you really want to, it is a very enjoyable subject.

Just out of curiosity, why is it a must that you get 10A+ to be able to do A-levels? If money's the issue, quite a lot of A-level colleges out there offer good scholarships for less than 10A+...
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 20-11-2012 Default Re: A tough decision regarding Literature in English

Thank you guys . I guess I'd just stick to Basic Economics .

I didn't know English Literature is offered as an A-Level subject . Which college is offering this subject ?

Oh and coming to joan2468's comment , a straight A+ would earn a bursary from the government ( hopefully it'll still remain in 2014 ! ) that covers food , lodging and other necessary expenses .

Last edited by maximR; 20-11-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
alic3-1derland Female
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 21-11-2012 Default Re: A tough decision regarding Literature in English

Well, my college, KYUEM (Kolej Yayasan UEM) offers ELit at A-levels and we have some really experienced teachers (:
alic3-1derland is offline   Reply With Quote
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#7 Old 22-11-2012 Default Re: A tough decision regarding Literature in English

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximR View Post
Thank you guys . I guess I'd just stick to Basic Economics .

I didn't know English Literature is offered as an A-Level subject . Which college is offering this subject ?

Oh and coming to joan2468's comment , a straight A+ would earn a bursary from the government ( hopefully it'll still remain in 2014 ! ) that covers food , lodging and other necessary expenses .
Oh yeah, I forgot about that bursary. Some of my friends got it. I'm doing A-levels at Methodist College KL, the college offers English Lit. - and as far as I know so does Taylor's, KDU, and HELP College. I wouldn't know how Cambridge A-level English Lit. works, but for Edexcel A-levels (offered at MCKL and HELP), 2 out of the 4 units are coursework, so there's only 2 papers to sit for (although the coursework is rather heavy work as well, just in a different way since it needs to be well-researched).
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 23-11-2012 Default Re: A tough decision regarding Literature in English

KYUEM is way expensive , my parents can't afford the hefty fees .

I guess I'd try out MCKL then ... Thanks .